by Joel Rich
Ode: Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood
BY WILLIAM WORDSWORTH
“Whither is fled the visionary gleam?
Where is it now, the glory and the dream?
What’s your answer for yourself? your country? your people?
If a society always eats dessert as part of a meal, do they make a bracha achronal on the dessert?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Initial Thoughts on the Responsibility for Poskim to Develop Expertise of Current and Developing Science and Technology
Did the nature of psak (poseik’s role) fundamentally change when smicha ended? How deep and wide does a posek have to know tora and mtziut? Has the questioner’s role changed as well? How has the exponential curve of technology changed the answers to these questions?
- Rabbi Zev Cohen,Mr. Mark Salamon,Rabbi Ilan Halberstadt,Mr. Ira Lipsius,Rabbi Doron Lazarus-2/4/23 – Shiur 406 – Is Kovea Ittim only for the wealthy and brilliant?
Life is all about balance! Mornings are best for being kovea itim. Sleep is also important! Interesting – is it unfortunate that one has to work for a living? Examples of “success” stories.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Naming Theory and the Name of God
If “a rose by any other name would smell as sweet” isn’t the final word for you, naming theory may be of interest. It might also be a way of looking at halachic concepts of identity (chalos shem).
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Knowing How to Properly Follow Mesorah In Changing Circumstances
Minhagim change when circumstances change (me-except when they don’t!)
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Coffee in Shul
Sources why one shouldn’t be sipping coffee during tfila (me-interesting sociologically that a shiur on this topic needs to be given)
- Rabbi Shua Katz-Bringing Shabbos to a Close: The Mitzvah of Havdalah
The three possible sources for the mitzva of havdala (2 duraita, 1 drabanan) might have different halachic applications (eg stand or sit, women’s chiyuv).
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Making Turkish Coffee on Shabbos
Turkish coffee – – is there an issue of lisha? CLOR
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Real Brainwashing
If you believe strongly enough you can just stay in full time learning and HKBH will take care of the rest.
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-Hashkafa Shiur – The Unique Status of Devarim
Insights into the nature of Moshe Rabbeinu’s prophecy in general and specifically into his writing down of the torah (how much transcription, how much prophecy?)
- Yair Lichtman-Mixed Marriages: How Should Newlyweds Navigate Conflicting Minhagim?
Historically, the wife took on the customs of the husband, perhaps because it’s considered as if she is entering his community. Contemporary Israeli poskim are more likely to allow the wife to continue family minhagim as long as it doesn’t cause a shalom bayit issue. In general minhagim in Israel (with kibbutz galyot) are more in flux.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Halachik Considerations When Owning a Dog
How did chazal relate to dogs? It’s generally not positive! The specific halachic concerns are neutering, feeding basar vchalav, muktzeh, feeding them first and bringing them to shul.
- Rabbi Yaakov Berman,Mrs. Bella Beer,Rabbi Dr. Jack Cohe -1/28/23 – Shiur 405 – Whom should you marry?
How seriously does one take some shidduch dealbreakers (eg same name as parent, oldest first, money, wayward family members). Practical tips from professional dating coaches.
- Rabbi Daniel Fridman-Moonlight Sonata? Kiddush Levana in Halacha and Hashkafa
If it’s really about the levana, we should do kiddush levana the first night we see it (some say we should). If it’s more about us benefitting from the levana than waiting (3 days, 7 days,motzai shabbat) makes more sense (as well as does dressing up). In the latter case, the symbolism of waxing and waning also fits in better.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Chupas Niddah
Chupat nida (not so common today) issues and workarounds.
- Rav Asher Weiss- The Issur of Techumin on Shabbos
Tchumim – duraita and/or drabanan? What’s the heter of above 10 tfachim in case of travel?
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Priorities in Davening while Traveling
One should take care of HKBH’s priorities first (daven) but how do we balance other priorities which could affect one’s davening or other mitzvot? Specifics discussed.
- Rabbi Shalom Rosner-Fantasy Football, Lottery Tickets and Gambling
Hashkafically gambling is generally bad. Halachically the more control one believes they have over the outcome and the less money they physically put in the pot, the more prohibited it is.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-The Requirement of Lechem Mishnah on Shabbos
Lechem mishna requirement – on whom, when and how executed.
- Rabbi Aryeh Leibowitz-Thought of the Ramban: The Manna and Purpose of Nisyonos According to the Ramban and Rambam
Are nisyonot (challenges) designed to bring out the best in us (and prove to us what we are capable of) or to show others what can be accomplished?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Finding News About the Pigua
Can one benefit from a mlacha done by a Jew on Shabbat? It depends on: shogeig v meizid, duraita v drabanan, benefit on Shabbat v after v kdei sheyasu (and time zone where action is done v where the benefit is) and how urgent (me-and how much you’re looking for a heter)
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-The Relationship Between the שני השעירים and the Status of the שעיר המשתלח as a קרבן
A lesson from the sirim of yom kippur They teach us that it’s simple – are you kulo lashem or kulo lazazel? (The sirim are paired but opposite)
- Rabbi Shraga KallusThe Wives Of Yeshivat Mirer
R Kallus is machshiv women who are machshiv tora.
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-Q&A- Geirim, Mental Health & Tax Evasion
Q&A including: brit mila in the midbar, brachot shelo asani, energy healing, can HKBH have a need, yichus v own merit, praying to take away yetzer hara, hashgacha pratit v bchira chofshit, ger’s chiyuv in kavod av, yeshiva learning – law and philosophy, ben pakua, sefer ovadia, shoteh, yesh eim lmikra, saying psukim with your name, apikores, physical beauty, eating/drinking while learning, compassion within halachic boundaries (eg LGBTQ+), rosh hashana on shabbat, answers to four sons, din dmalchuta in Israel, and putting a parent in a nursing home.
- Biography of the Netziv including his main works. His earliest work (published much later) showed a tremendous range of non-standard sources. Why was this and why did it change when he was older?
Biography of the Netziv including his main works. His earliest work (published much later) showed a tremendous range of non-standard sources. Why was this and why did it change when he was older?
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Jewish Music Today
Don’t be MO (accepting of general culture) with a black hat with regard to music (me-probably a general rule). Music is powerful, probably you should avoid it but that’s not how “the olam” paskins, so you (as a true ben yeshiva) should limit your exposure (and not be a jungle beast).li>
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parshas Beshalach: Late To Shachris – Should You Skip Pesukei D’zimra?
Don’t come late to shul! Which parts of psukei dzimra can you skip in a pinch? Can you skip them all? Is there any make-up (for brachot as well)?
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Water/Electrical Damages in Halacha
Grama bnizikin is not actionable in the earthly court but it is in the heavenly one. When a result could be foreseen to masseh yadaim, cocho (rishon) and coach sheini? When is a result due to adam hamazik v isho or boro? When is a result due to is there more liability even in cases of grama?
- Chinuch Conversation with Rav Michael and Professor Smadar Rosensweig
The Rosenzweig’s reflect on lesson from their parents and their own parenting styles.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Kuzari on Bechiras Yisrael
Judaism can’t be racist since we believe all humans have tzelem elokim, we accept anyone who wants to join, and we’re all about obligations.
The kuzari seems to say that Jews from birth have an inyan eloki potential that converts don’t have.
- Rabbi Etan Schnall-Laws of the Shiva House and Equality When Honoring the Deceased – Moed Katan 27a
R H Schacter (from R YBS) on a beit avel having a chalos sheim on the bayit v the individual avel. Then on to takanat of chazal equalizing burial rites for all.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].