by Joel Rich
From David Brooks on the USA: “That basic sense of peoplehood, of belonging to a common enterprise with a shared destiny, is exactly what’s lacking today.” Me- how would you respond on behalf of klal yisrael ?
In the latest advance, researchers in the U.S. and China announced earlier this month that they made embryos that combined human and monkey cells for the first time. So far, these human-monkey chimeras (pronounced ky-meer-uhs) are no more than bundles of budding cells in a lab dish, but the implications are far-reaching, ethics experts say.
Me-And what will halacha say?
- Rabbi Moshe Kurtz-May A Person Lie to Do Kiruv? [Part 1]
Kiruv vs mdvar sheker tirchak – How do we evaluate competing priorities? TBC (me – (1) R’Y Sacks – why didn’t chashmonaim say tuma hutra btzibbur for chanukah oil? Because we can’t initiate based on sheker (2) Rambam including something (not to lie) in hilchot deot may be more important than it being a technical mitzvah)
- Rabbi Moshe Sokoloff-Possible Issues With A Community Eiruv
City eruvim rely on lenient opinions, especially on the 600,000 reshut harabim issue. In Europe this was necessary because of infrastructure reasons which don’t apply today so a baal nefesh should be machmir.(Is this historically accurate or a way to avoid laz on earlier generations?)
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Hagbah and Galilah
The importance of hagba (as measured by reward) seems underappreciated. Discussion of the history and proper technique. As one who has been doing hagba for a long time, I really appreciated the reinforcement that there’s no chiyuv to unwind your retzuot nor to embarrass the goleil if he doesn’t tie it in the top third. BTW – it’s all about leverage!
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Clapping And Dancing On Shabbat Part 2 – What Is Considered Dancing?
How to understand the practice of dancing/clapping on shabbat when chazal said no? Continuation of concepts of mutav shogegin, clachar yad and makom mitzvah. Perhaps they only meant a very formalized type of dance but not a sedate circle shuffle?
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Clapping And Dancing On Shabbat Part 3 – Newfound Information
Don’t dance or clap on shabbat! But many have the practice, so…
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Beracha on a Candy During Shemona Esrei
Are birchat hanehenin a mitzvah or matir an issur. Probably the former but don’t be mafsik in the middle of shmoneh esrai if you need a diabetic hit (just be miharheir the bracha)
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Halachot of the Shliach Tzibbur
Why don’t we follow din of being msarev (don’t immediately accept invitation as shatz)? As a shatz, always follow the minhag of the tzibbur (but what about your private shmoneh esrai?) Also discussed: proper dress, pace for davening; letting folks say amen, barchu, shma and gaal yisrael.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Pesukay Dezimra
Psukei dzimra is a rocket booster to tfila and should be treated as such. What must be said and rules of interruption discussed. Little known fact – it’s best to go to finish yishtabach rather than wait at shochen ad for the chazan.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Diaspora Jews Participating in Israel’s Mitzvos – Purchasing Land for Shemitah
It’s important to aspire to aliyah but buying a little piece of land for shmita may not be the way to do it (me – looking for segulot in all the wrong places – partial HT Johnny Lee)
- Rabbi Yona Reiss-From the Dayan’s Desk #66: Lease Agreements During the Coronavirus”
When property rental contracts weren’t honored due to corona, who bore the burden? Spoiler alert – it depends!
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Pesachim perek 1 shiur 53 (טעות עדים בשעות)
When witnesses’ time perceptions differ things can get confusing! Then some quick insights on eidim zomimim.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Tazria Metzorah 5781
Parsha thoughts including: Implications of caesarian section on brit mila timing; Why aren’t we concerned about carrying the mila knife on Shabbat?; Metzora rules (aveilut, tumah and tahara process); Wool vs. cotton tzitzit and more.
- Rabbi Evan Hoffman-American Jewry Enters the Post-War Era (1945-1948
Actual and perceived USA antisemitism – post war through Ronald Regan.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Doing Puzzles on Shabbos
Is doing a puzzle on Shabbat like reading books (as far as book edges) and permissible? The more permanent the puzzle, the less this approach works.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Grand Opening – Laws of Pesichah and Neiliah
All the details of pticha including: Brich shmeih; How to open; How many people should be involved; Avoiding tircha; How carry the torah; and Role of the tzibbur.
- Mrs. Michal Horowitz-Eretz Yisrael: A Land of Divine Providence (And The Role of Diaspora Jews)
Ramban on eretz yisrael – direct hashgacha, mitzvoth outside are for practice. R’YBS – torah is central so being in galut can be ok. Me – to thine own self be true (HT – Polonius) imagine your response at your final din/cheshbon – would you buy it?
- Rav Asher Weiss-גניבת דעת
Is the issur of gneivat daat duraita or drabanan? Is it a subset of gneivah or onaat devarim? R’Weiss follows his meta philosophy of “normal” or “accepted” behaviors being allowed. Listen here for detail.
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-Acharei Mos Kedoshim 2nd Aliyah: Fairness, Justice, and Communal Responsibility
Btzedek tishpot amitecha – is this an instruction to the court or for all of us as part of society? Dan lkaf zchut – is this for the good of society or of the individual? Also insights on lashon hara vs motzi shem ra, lo tisna, lo tikom and lo titor.
- Rabbi Andrew Markowitz-Intro to Gideon
Part of a series. Gidon came at a time of transition. The people were crying from the results of being oppressed but didn’t take responsibility (me – a continuing theme in Nach). I’m still looking for an answer as to why Moshe’s example of succession planning was not followed.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Kasheh Onshan Shel Middot
Possible messages of why a failure in midot (measures) was considered worse by chazal than a failure in arayot (personal relations)
- Parashat Acharei Mot – Kedoshim with Rav Dovid Gottlieb
Parsha insights including: Seir lazazel messages; Hochacha as a chesed for a brother; Medrashim on kedoshim tihiyu; vchai bahem; and lfnei iver (don’t “help” in a negative result!)
- Rabbi Beirach Steinfeld,Reb Yitzchok Pindrus,Rabbi Yechiel Goldhaber-4/24/21 – Show 319 – Halachos of Sefirah and Lag Baomer – All you need to know
Sfira issues including: Wedding timing; Acapella music; Shaving; Meiron; Yom Hashoa; and Looking for leniencies. Bonus insights into chareidi politics in Israel.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Are There Ethics Outside of Halacha and the Role of Sevara, Part 1
First in a series. Of course we use sevara/sechel but how and where is it bounded? TBC
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Do We Need to Correct the Baal Koreh?
Correcting the baal koreih – never, always or somewhere in-between?
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Pesachim perek 1 shiur 54 (אין ביעור חמץ אלא בשריפה)
Continuing on the topic of mismatched witnesses’ perceptions of time. Then on to shaat biur vs. not shaat biur.
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff-Mishne Halakhot: Excessive Drinking and Weddings on Purim. Wedding On Sukkot. First Versus Second Wife. Many Issues Dealing With Mussar Books. Responsum of Noda Beyudah on a Son-in-Law’s Three Year Affair With His Mother-in-Law
More on drinking on Purim. Then on to: Why chassidim don’t eat in the sukkah on shmini atzeret; Chatan megilla reading venue; Sanctifying family relations; Nodeh byehuda’s attitude towards mussar; and Tshuva through personal deprivations.
- Rabbi Yosef Zvi Rimon-Rav Yosef Tzvi Rimon – Reishit Tzemichat Geulateinu – Cong Beth Abraham 4-11-21
We are in the midst of a natural redemption, celebrate it!
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Aliyah LiTorah
The roles of the gabbai, baal korei and the oleh explained. Whether to open or close the torah when you get an aliyah and when. Why do we have barchu and two brachot? Most important – show enthusiasm!
- Rabbi Yoni Levin-What Age to Get Married?
There’s a range of “best” age for marriage. Is it based on physical ability, contribution to society or Talmud torah?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Acharei Mot – Kedoshim 5781
Parsha insights including: Parshat Parah; Sfirah – number order; Nature of kriat hatorah of mincha yom kippur; Circulation as definition of death; Yishuv eretz yisrael as part of every mitzvah; Lo taamod; Lvisha w/o hanaah status; Morah/ahava balance and much more.
Listen for R’Schachter’s analysis of the lack of economic incentive for companies to get hashgacha.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].