by Joel Rich
Note to presenter on triage:
Enjoyed your class, especially you’re putting it in terms of consequentialist versus formalists (I might’ve said deontologists)
Especially interested in the issue of not using the priority categories in horiyot The statement that it’s difficult to do these days somehow doesn’t seem to have sufficient force for me. The more general question however is did the re-interpreting it as not being life-saving iTriage priorities come from an internal analysis or from an external feeling that this narrative would not fit the poseiks halachic intuition
If one had full intent to be yotzeih with another’s birchat hanehenin and then did not eat, is it a bracha l’vatala for him?
- From June 1963 RCA Conference. The Rav discusses the meaning of Mesorah, and why Yehoshua was chosen to promulgate Torah Sheb’al PehHear R’YBS (Yiddish with English subtitles) describe the two mesorah’s – intellectual and experiential). Any description I could give would only detract from the experience. Please try it yourself.
- Rabbi Aaron Greenberg-Tzurba Kosher WHat is glatt and does it matter?Understanding glatt – ashkenaz vs. sfard plus Israel vs US kashrut (Me-Glatt is standard in US IMHO due to kashrut agencies, not minhag)
- Rabbi Tzvi Benoff-Distance Learning Beneth the Blitzkreig: Rav Eliyahu Dessler on Bris AvosBrit avot is about being a link in a chain, zchut avot is about following in their path.
- Rav Asher Weiss-צער בעלי חייםTzaar baalei chaim is a duraita but R’ Weiss provides thirteen possible sources for it. Hashkafically we understand that we imitate HKB”H and are merciful yet we also understand that man and animals are not on the same level.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-A New Yorker in Canada: To Be Polite or Brutally Honest?We strike a balance between honesty and not hurting people – but don’t become habituated to untruth.
- Rabbi Aaron Greenberg-Tzurba – Glatt Chicken and kashering liverKashrut issues with chickens followed by how to kasher liver.
- Rabbi Yoni Levin-Torah of the Future: Learning Yerushalmi in the Days of MoshiachEven though there are Talmudic sources stating the superiority of Eretz Yisrael learning over Bavel, we paskin like the Bavli – maybe because they were batrai (later) or because they worked harder, longer to overcome their deficit.
- Rav Schachter 7 2 2020Corona time items including: Shortening Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur services (yes); Saying kinot and eicha at home with zoom (yes); Eating on fast days (no); Priorities if can’t accommodate everyone in minyanim (no answer); Being in the “same room” for kaddish; 100 kolot (vs 30) are only required in minyan/shul; Saying mayain sheva at porch minyanim (no); Shaving for Shabbat during nine days; Nfilat apaim without a sefer torah (worth listening for this alone)
- Rabbi Asher Weiss-The Virtue of YeshivosZoom divrei chizuk about the importance of learning to Shaalavim guys. (Where does am hasefer come from? Do you think R’Weiss really doesn’t know?)
- Rabbi Ike Sultan-Demystifying The Halachic Process: History of Halacha from Rav Yosef Karo to Rav Ovadia YosefThe mesorah chain explained. Halacha is dynamic yet objective. Why was the S”A so successful?
- Eli Weber-Who Needs A NaviThe role of the Navi and his powers. There’s a difference between rejecting the institution and not listening.
- Rabbi Shmuel Honigwachsm, Rabbi Yosef Kushner,Dr Abraham Unger, Kurt Lieberman-7/04/20 – Show 279 – Buying and selling stocks in Halacha
Schar Shabbos; Ribbis; M’achalos Assuros; Pesach; and much more.What’s the deal with buying stocks in companies that violate micro or macro (meta) halacha? While R’Moshe generally allowed Stock purchases, there’s now a fund for that.
- Rabbi Dr. Martin Lockshin—RashiWhen did Rashi on Chumash use medrash and when not? He was an educator and depending on his educational goal he used what he needed to.
- Rabbi Reuven Brand-Virtue Ethics: Rambam’s Hilchot De’otHilchot deot is about vhalachta bdrachav and virtue ethics.
- Rav Jonathan Ziring-The Process of Pesak Halacha 32: Monetary Loss as a Model of Shaat HaDechakHow do hefsed mrubah (large loss) and shaat hadchak (exigent circumstances) interact? What counts as a loss(type,quantity?)? Is it objective or subjective definition.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz ,Robert Schrier ,rRabbi Yitzy Radner-Gemara Boot Camp: Q and A with R’ Aryeh Lebowitz on Tips and Tricks for Learning GemaraAdvice for talmidim concerning learning (e.g. look for broad themes, iyun, chavruta, approach, artscroll….)
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-The Life of Rav Shimon ShkopThe life, derech and works of R’ S’ Shkop.
- Rabbi Chaim Eisenstein-The Letter of the Millenium (Iggeres HaRamban) #1Part I of series – speak softly, don’t get angry and be humble.
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Rabbi Baruch Simon- Kedushat Beit Haknesset: Great Neck Synogague shirThe beit knesset has a special kedusha and the community has a responsibility to build one for this express purpose. Mundane conversation should be avoided.
- Rav Yaakov Medan-“The Making of The Gush” Part 21967 brought about a deep connection between the people and the land and history (tanach). Being where it happened gives you greater insight into what happened.
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Parshas Chukas-Balak Waiting for the Rav, Rebbe, or Rosh Yeshiva Before Starting Chazaras HaShatzHow long Shmoneh esrai should take is a matter of balance for each community. The practice is to wait for the Rabbi even though it’s not technically necessary.
- Rabbi Daniel Hartstein-Not Paying For Parking, Stamps & Bus Rides: Heter Or HorribleDina D’malchuta Dina – the rest is commentary
- Rav Asher Weiss-צומות בתקופת הקורונה
Defining choleh isn’t so easy. The halachot of when not to fast in Corona times are not the same as cholera times. CLOR but follow the government rules to save ourselves.
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Chiicago Shiiur: Bal TosifB’al Tosif – is it defined as adding to a mitzvah or adding a new mitzvah? Is it when a drabannan is claimed as a duraita? Specific examples addressed.
- Rav Yaakov Medan-“The Making of The Gush” Part 3Stories of the Yom Kippur war, R’ Amital, Bar Kochva and Torat R’Kook as drivers for the Yeshiva’s Zionism.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Even Haezer Shiur 1First in a series (not sure when it was given but just posted). What is the scope of the mitzvah of pru u’rvu? Lots of discussion of the meaning of ger shenitgayer kkatan hanolad dami.
- Rabbi Dr. Edward Reichman-Rabbinic Responses to Pandemics in the Past & the Current Medically Related Piskei Halakha for Covid 19There are many historical halachic precedents for dealing with pandemics. While disease theory may have differed, some of the responses are remarkably timely.
- Rabbi Uri Orlian-Ascending Har HaBayis & Korbanos B’Zman HazehRambam vs Ramban or kedushat har habayit today. Best to avoid the issue.
- Mrs. Penina Bernstein-Sefer Eicha #1R’YBS on Eicha – On Tisha B’av we have permission to question HKB”H. The Alef Beit order suggests we are unable to fully articulate our feelings. The motif of the first two chapters is one of bewilderment. Why did it happen? Why now?
- Rabbi Yehoshua Grunstein-Is relying on a PRECEDENT actually…a SIN?We stand on the shoulders of giants but reality can change so we don’t remain stationary but continue forward in their path
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].