Afikoman For The Brain or: Four Post-Seder Questions
Guest post by Shlomo Karni
Shlomo Karni was Professor of Electrical Engineering and Religious Studies at University of New Mexico until his retirement in 1999. His books include Dictionary of Basic Biblical Hebrew:Hebrew-English (Jerusalem: Carta, 2002).
- Where do you find the words וַיֹּאמֶר יַעֲקֹב at the end of the sentence?
- Where do you find five consecutive verbs, same tense and same person?
- Where do you find five consecutive words, each starting with the same letter?
- (General Hebrew) What is arguably the word with the highest גימטריא
value? Legitimate prefixes and suffixes are allowed, but strict grammatical
spelling must be observed, e.g., “my heart” = לִבִּי , not לִיבִּי
Happy hunting! Answers to be added to the bottom of this post after a full day.
- In the story of Jacob’s wresting with the unnamed man, Gen. 32:28
- When Esau sells his birthright to Jacob, Gen. 25: 34
- In the Song of the Sea, Ex. 15:9 – the first 5 words
- וְלִכְשֶתִּשְתַּתֵּקְנָה = “and when they (fem., pl.) will fall silent”, has the value