by Joel Rich
Two (IMHO) great quotes from the Aruch Hashulchan (C”M 149:22) discussing an individual having a chazaka in a mitzva (my rough translation)
1 “all of this is discussing a chazaka that has an associated claim such as the community granted him the mitzva in perpetuity. But if he appropriated it for himself without the community’s assent, there’s nothing to his chazaka”
2 discussing the status of the chazaka of a former house minyan when a permanent shul is built “as it is known that multiple individual minyanim cause destruction in the city.”
The S”A (O”C 55:6) discusses what to do if you have a minyan of exactly ten and nine of them are waiting for the tenth to finish his amida so as to start chazarat hashatz. While it’s encouraged to wait, in a case of need the shatz may begin his chazara. I didn’t notice anyone saying that the singleton should consider speeding up so as not to hold the minyan back. Any thoughts?
- Rabbi Zev Smith-When is a Second Netilas Yotaim Required? The general rule is that rewashing after washing for eating bread is only required if you hadn’t finished washing and another tamie hand touched your wet hand. A number of applications discussed including events that might cause a need for rewashing.
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-Introduction to Birchos HaNehenin Part 1 Introduction to brachot – what is the source of the mitzvah, what does it accomplish, and why are brachot structured the way they are? TBC
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Can I Play With My Phone During Shiur? Kavod rabo is the key to a successful yeshiva experience. Shiur includes a review of the halacha and the hashkafa of kavod rabo.
- Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner-Medical Treatment on Shabbat 1: Defining the Problem, Part 1 Part I of a discussion of the general theory of pikuach nefesh.
- Dr. Beni Gesundheit-Tefilot in the Talmud: Comparisons Between the Talmud Bavli and Yerushalmi (Part 1) First in a series concerning differences between the Bavli and Yerushalmi as evidenced in prayer. The Bavli is focused on halacha, the Yerushalmi adds agada.
The modim drabanan of the Bavli is focused on the individual and our eventual return to Israel. The parallel Yerushalmi recognizes our eretz yisrael identity and aspires for all nations to recognize HKBH.
- Rabbi Dr. Ari Berman-Is there a Berachah on an Aveira? There’s a lot of lomdus concerning the nature of brachot (eg matir, mitzvah, shevach, prevent gzeila.) As part of his exhortation to YU talmidim, R Berman adds the role of brachot in bringing HKBH into our world.
- Rabbi Itamar Rosensweig-קריאת שמע וקבלת עול מלכות שמים Insights into the relationship between kriat shma, yichud hashem, kabalat ol malchut shamayim and ahavat hashem.Description
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Longing for Our Spiritual Void & Taking Shelter Under the Jacket of Hashem Tshuva insights from Al Hatshuva – it’s all about getting closer to HKBH.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-How to learn halacha Intro to hilchot shabbat series – when learning practical halacha you should start from the gemara, balance speed and depth (a partial list of recommended sources is provided) and ask questions!
- Rabbi Moshe Shulman-KOHELET! The Sphinx of Scriptures (Part 2) Kohelet (gathering of people/wisdom/layers) is about understanding the world (good/evil, life/death). The first 11 verses are an introduction as a parable for the views of the builder, wiseman, hedonist and yirei hashem. TBC
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Tznius Shiur and Q&A at Netiv Aryeh Tzniut (modesty) is a way of life for men and women based on imitato dei Q&A includes: what to look for in a wife (more religious than you), defining miyut hamatzui, zohar (learning and authorship), automatic watch on shabbat (OK), oh lagoyim (active v passive), secular college (bad), migo, coffee shops (avoid), non-Jewish music (avoid), yashan (good to observe) and learning hebrew (it’s a mitzva)
- Rabbi Asher Weiss-פרשת כי תבא: גדרי הברכות Different authorities have slightly different categories of brachot and even then categorizing brachot is not so easy. Specific categories and applications provided.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Brachos Shiur 1 – Beginning to 6th Perek – Nature of Brachos First shiur of the new zman. Major topics include: mitzva or matir, onein, bnai yisrael as a miyut, kiddush – duraita or drabanan,and kerem/neta rvai.
- Rabbi Larry Rothwachs-Let Me Try and Explain: Our Remarkable Propensity for Rationalization Rationalization is a natural defense mechanism but it can get in the way of tshuva – especially when money is at issue or if you have any doubt about having committed the sin.
- Rabbi Jeremy Wieder-Berakhot – Yesod Birkhat haNehenin #1 First shiur of the new zman. R Wieder takes a non-brisker text driven approach focusing on parallel sugyot and what in the text drove the rishonim to take various approaches to resolving textual implications.
- Simi Peters-The Prophet Yona and Maftir Yona (Part 2) Was Yona running from HKBH or from prophecy? Why is there a strong death motif in the sefer? Why didn’t yona confront HKBH in defense of the jewish people?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Balancing Halacha and Aggada Defining agada is not simple since the boundary between halacha and agada is not clear (focus on must v should?)
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Naming for Both Living Grandfathers Why
don’t Ashkenazim name after the living (because they don’t!) Who gets first naming rights? What does a couple do when minhagim clash? A number of different approaches discussed.
- Rabbi Elliot Schrier-Three Elul Themes in the Mitzvah of Tzedaka Lessons from bet din being kofin on tzedakah: tzedaka is a monetary obligation (not a gift), true tzedakah is from the heart, and tzedaka is a communal obligation (and you are part of the community).
- Rabbi Allen Schwartz-Theodicy and the Bible – 01 First in a series concerning theodicy in tanach. Where is the fairness? One example discussed – kayin and hevel. Some prophets purely defend the jewish people, some purely pushed HKBH’s viewpoint and others maneuvered between the two.
- Rabbi Moshe Rotberg,Eli Rowe,. Nir Salomon-9/2/23 – Shiur 434 – מי יחיה מי ימות Community organizations dealing with life and death issues daily and some of the שאלות that arise Hatzala shabbat questions including when to call, who to call, how to call, what to do prior to the responder’s arrival, and rules for responders. Hatzala runs a huge, costly medevac program as well. Efrat works within the frum community on a hidden problem – abortion.
- Dear Yoetzet-Do I Need To Be A Nida R Bednarsh provides halachic and hashkafic analysis of a birth control method that causes months without a regular cycle but with minor spotting.
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-The Power of the Rabbis to Override Torah Law What is the source of rabbinic authority to override a torah rule? Does lo tasur include legislative authority? If the rabbis tell you not to do a duraita, and you do it anyway, are you yotzei on a duraita level?
- Rabbi Shmuel Fuerst-Tefillin: Shabbos/Yom Tov/Chol HaMoed; Multiple Weddings on the Same Day Tfillin related issues including: putting on late Friday, proper storage with tallit, wearing on chol hamoed, brachot on chol hamoed, and lo titgodidu on chol hamoed.
Bonus discussion – ein maarvin simcha bsimcha.
- Rabbi Allen Schwartz-Theodicy and the Bible – 02 Introduction to the voices in Iyov. TBC.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Making Money (On Shabbos!) Hashkafically shabbat is not a day for making money. Schar shabbat rules are reviewed herein. Even if there are heterim, do you really think you’ll see a siman bracha?
- Rabbi Mayer Twersky-Religious Faith & Pride in Today’s Increasingly Irreligious World (2023) LBGTQ+ culture is antithetical to the divine word and we must resist such cultural “orthodoxy” with the eternal truth of the dvar hashem.
- Rav Hershel Schachter-The “Secret Sauce” in Teshuva…and in All Mitzvos! (2023) Limud hatora refines your personality (tzelem elokim) which brings you to tshuva and perfects you.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-A Living Kiddush Hashem We are all mlamdim/mashpiim. Be a walking kiddush hashem and let your learning change you and then you will change others.
- Rabbi Yona Reiss-From the Dayan’s Desk #123: Judicial Fortitude Can a dayan ever refuse to judge a case? Issues include: threats to life, physical injury and/or property damage, before or after knowing the verdict, and officially appointed dayan or dayan for a day.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].