by Joel Rich
From the testimony of R. Sheshet ha-Nasi of Saragossa concerning The Mishneh Torah of Maimonides:
Before the Mishneh Torah reached [the lands of] Castile, study of Jewish law, especially of the Talmud, was beyond the grasp of Castilian Jews, for wisdom is too lofty for the ignoramus’ (Proverbs24:7). The local judge had exclusive jurisdiction: he would rule as he pleased, unchallenged, for no one else knew the twists and turns of the law, and all were therefore dependent on him. But when they beheld the fourteen books of the Mishneh Torah, and all who knew Hebrew studied them … their eyes opened up … and today there are many who understood their words, so that when they hear claims of the litigants and the decision of the judge, they proceed to investigate them themselves.
Me-Sounds like google/LLM’s. What do you think?
I came across this new book and was trying to decide what it implies about our community. https://www.amazon.com/Bathing-Showering-Halachah-Menachem-Abramson/dp/1600919960
- Rabbi Aharon Adler-Sparks of Jewish History: Seventy Conversations in Transit with HaGaon HaRav Joseph B. Soloveitchik zt”l R YBS’s thoughts on: airplanes/birchat hagomel, electricity, chabad, women’s learning, holocaust’s impact, aliya, interfaith dialog, moser (financial crimes) and minhagei brisk.
- Rabbi Aryeh Leibowitz-The Crusades in Halacha and Jewish Memory History of “the people’s” crusade and its impact on the ashkenazi world.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Recovering the Grandfather’s Pre-Holocaust Sefer Ownership issues with sfarim found after the holocaust with the original owner’s names inside.
- Rabbi Asher Weiss-Halachos of One who is Sick on Tisha B’Av How do we define a choleh for purposes of breaking one’s fast on tisha bav? What leniencies may be applied? Is there a concept of eating/drinking shiurim on tisha bav?
- Rabbi David Debow-Sexuality in Tanakh (Part 1) First in a series. The lessons of the trees of life and knowledge may be about general and specific desires. The “first taste” should include both so as not to involve comparisons to other ways to satisfy desires.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Thoughts for Tisha B’av- Why is There so Much Strife in Israel and Where Is It Heading? The current strife in israel has four layers – political, ethnic, religious and nationalistic. Why now? Why might we still be hopeful?
- Rabbi Dani Rapp-Korbanos in 3rd Bais Hamikdash? Review of rambam vs ramban on why we were given korbanot as a mitzvah. Will we have korbanot in the third beit hamikdash? Probably yes.
- Rabbi Dr. Ari Berman-Tisha BAv in Halacha and Machshava Tisha bav has elements of mourning and taanit tzibur. We focus both on the past (destruction) and the future (redemption). Find your place in the arc of jewish history.
- Rabbi Asher Weiss-The Essense of Tisha B’Av Rav Asher Weiss 5771 The prohibitions of achila and shtia on tisha bav, are of a different nature than the other inuyim. A choleh (TBD) is patur from the tzom. Applications discussed.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Mashiach & Post Tisha B’Av Aspirations: How Healthy Is Our Relationship With Materialism? We must recognize the centrality of HKBH in our lives and that all we have is from him (al yithalel hachacham…)
- Rabbi Asher Weiss-Rav Weiss 9 Av 5769 Talmud Torah on 9 Av What is the status of permitted (and prohibited) learning on tisha bav? Mitzvah lechatchila, mitzva bdieved, chiyuv, rshut? Perhaps the answer driven by the fact that we should be involved in mourning intensely the whole day or that inherent in talmud torah is hanaah.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Chillul Shabbat to Save Non-Jews: Two Paths to the Same Conclusion Do we save non-bnai brit on shabbat due to aiva/darchei shalom or due to broader philosophical principles (eg meiri/not idol worshippers today)? Which is the more radical approach?
How does halacha adapt to technology changes including the availability of information to all? Who determines reality? (experts? rabbis?)
- Rabbi Dr. Ari Zivotofsky-The Kotel: Midrash, Legend, and Halacha Review of the history and evolution of the physical structure of har habayit? There are many related midrashim and legends to sort out. Does the area today have a din of a beit knesset?
- Rabbi Michoel Frank,Rabbi Efrem Goldberg, Chez Chaya,Nachi Gordon-7/29/23 – Shiur 429 – Jewish Influencers: The Facts The Fears The Responsibilities Influencers (the social media type) have both halachic and hashkafic responsibilities of course all those interviewed as well as the host are doing it right.
Rabbi Yitzchak Blau-How to Study Aggada (Part 1)
Interpreting agada is generally less definitive than halacha. Sometimes detail is just to flesh out the story and sometimes its symbolic. A number of examples of intertextuality provided (tanach and intra-talmudic as well).
- Rabbi Yitzchak Blau-How to Study Aggada (Part 2) The placement of agada in a particular mesechet, in a particular spot, in a storyline, or chapter, or juxtaposed with a halacha can have significant meaning. (or not).
- Rabbi Jonah Steinmetz-Grape Jews: The Prohibition Era and the Kiddush Controversy Prohibition, R Ginsberg and the acceptability of grape juice for kiddush.
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-Mezuzos Shailos in a New Shul Beit haotzar requires a mezuza but how is it defined (frequency of use)?. When and where should the mezuza be put up? Specific shul applications discussed.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Pikuach Nefesh for a Choleh that is not in front of you How near term, and what type of prohibition is being overridden (duraita/drabanana) in order to qualify for apikuach nefesh exemption? Specific applications include autopsies and hatzala drivers.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Jewish Unity: Why Tu B’av is Such a Celebrated Day Lessons from the events that the gemara ascribes to tu bav.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-How Are We Supposed To Look In A World Gone Mad? Limud tora brings us to kedusha. The prohibition of beged ish is about maintaining kedusha. Are there exceptions for circumstances that make it clear that the act will not subvert kedusha for exceptions?
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-The Special Simcha of Tu B’Av The 6 happy events that occurred on tu bav were fixes (tikunim) for the 5 tzarot that occurred on tisha bav.
- Rabbi Shimshon Nadel-Extraterrestrial Life in Jewish Thought There are sources in jewish thought that would support the existence of life on other planets. Would such life be subject to torah law?
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Is this Shaimos? – A Practical Guide Real sheimot (klaf) must be buried in cheres which is sealed and put in the kever of a talmid chacham. Next level down (rtzuos, sfarim, tashmishei kedusha etc) must be buried. Is there a special status for items created with intent to dispose of, or those never used? A number of applications discussed.
- Rabbi Ezra Cohen-Modeh Ani: Origins and History Modeh ani was written in the 15th century. What were its literary antecedents and why did it become so popular? Maybe it was in order to say something like elokai neshama before getting out of bed
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-American Ban of Incandescent Bulbs & Its Implication for Shabbos Candles Shiur starts with neirot shabbat basics including why we light, the knas for forgetting, and requirements when away from home. Not incandescent bulbs are not eish so one can’t make a bracha on them.
- Rabbi Yoni Levin-Tu b’Av: Interesting Shailos and Teshuvos Is tu bav a yom tov? What qualifies for making a siyum? Is tu bav a propitious day for marriage?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Glass Plates at the In Laws Ashkanazim don’t use glass utensils for dairy and meat sefardim do we can be maikel for a newlywed ashkenazi boy to eat at his in laws for shalom bayit reasons
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Balancing Family and Community Life Rabbinic leaders (me-everyone)needs to set priorities and triage their time appropriately. Family is a very high priorityDescription
- Rabbi Itamar Rosensweig-תפילת נחם בזמננו כשירושלים נמצאת תחת שלטון ישראל The language of nacheim doesn’t see to describe reality today; should it be changed? R YBS – no, just reconceptualize what’s important about Jerusalem. R OY -no, each word is infused with kedusha by chazDl. R Goren – yes, leave out some of the middle. R Chham david Halevi, yes just flip it to past tense
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].