by Joel Rich
Have you ever been in an ashkenazi synagogue where a sfardi insisted on saying sfardi kaddish on an ongoing basis? If so, what was the rabbi’s/gabbai’s response, if any??
I assume at some point somebody is going to train chat GPT on responsa literature. Have you given any thought to this and the implications.
- Rabbi Moshe Sokoloff-Are Ketanim Required To Drink Arba Kosos
Is a child’s “requirement” for four cups based on general chinuch or af heim hayu boto hanes? Differing applications discussed.
- Rabbi Jonah Steinmetz-When Your Food Takes a Staycation: Mechiras Chometz Across Time Zones
Does the prohibition of chametz follow the cheftza (chametz) or the gavra (owner)? There are implications for other mitzvot as well. (e.g. faxing overseas on Shabbot)
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-Hashkafa Shiur – Avos Perek Beis: Disagreeing with Torah and Derech Eretz
Reaction of torah only adherents to torah im derech eretz. It’s all about risk reward/relationships!
- Rabbi Dr. Yosef Bronstein-Rav Kook: Is Freedom a Jewish Value?
Do we believe in freedom from (e.g., punishment) or freedom to (e.g. be ovdei hashem and bring out our inner self/torah)?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Inyanei Rosh Chodesh
Insights into the rosh chodesh including, but not limited to: kahal only in the land of Israel (to declare rosh chodesh); sanhedrin as the representative of klal yisrael; nature of hallel; and, chiyuv of simcha?
- Yosef Lindell-Are Pesach Guides Getting Stricter?
Evolution of pesach guides (R’ Blumenkranz, OU etc.) with examples of stringencies and leniencies.
- Rabbi Daniel Fridman-Miracle Waters? An Introduction to Masechet Sotah
The message of the process (and its disappearance) is one of both individual and national moral standards.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Pru U’Rivu and Birth Control Part 1
The basic birth control gemara (moch) is subject to different interpretations (is it about assur vs mutar or about when it’s required?) Do females need to be concerned about hashchatat zera? To be continued.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Pesach Q and A
Pesach questions and answers including: kashering (stoves, ovens, warming, drawers, refrigerators, table cloths), medications, hagada, shiurim, and permitted types of wine/matzo.
- Rav Yosef Zvi Rimon-מה נשתנה השאלות והתשובות של ההגדה
Freedom (ben chorin) is about asking questions. We need to understand that there aren’t always immediate answers.
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-Q&A- Killing with Kindness, Slavery & Mourners Kaddish
Questions and answers including: shape of luchot, post tshuva “outside the norm“ activities, brain, death, torah attitude towards slavery, sincere questions versus pontification, kaddish etiquette, women’s testimony, relating to reform converts, carbon dating, names, tinok shenishba, brachot (ikkar and tafel), kdoshim tihiyu, loeg larash and, tora lshma.
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-Exodus & Emunah: The Transformative Experience of Schechitas Korban Pesach
Karban pesach is a uniquae karban. It is one of emunah and represents cheirut to become ovdei hashem.
- Rav Aryeh Lebowitz Ohr HaTorah Pre Pesach Shiur
Heseiba- how? why? when? 4 cups – how much (rov kos/ounces?)
- Rabbi Gedaliah Jaffe-Solutions to Religious Polarization
“Can’t we all just get along” (hat tip Rodney King)
- Rabbi Osher Weiss-פסח: כל שלא אמר שלשה דברים פסח מצה ומרור
For which mitzvot must we have specific intent? It’s all about tachlit, not taam.
- Rabbi Tanchum Cohen-Truth and Rules: A Halachic Epistemology of Emes and Din, Nevua and Psak
Is our focus on the judicial process or that the “true” din result. Also covered – eidut as kiyum or birur?
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-Mechirat Chametz Part 2
Is mchirat chametz a harama? If so, why might we say it works on drabanan chametz but not on duraita? What other limitations might apply? (can it be done on an ongoing basis? only if there is a large loss?)
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-Inyanei Sefiras HaOmer
Counting sefira today – duraita, drabanan or zecher lmikdash? How do we apply sfeika drabanan lkula? The answer to these questions may inform on counting during bein hashmashot. Also discussed – missing a day as well as sfira minhagim.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-The Prohibition of Eating Kitniyos on Pesach
Introduction to takanot in general and the history of kitniyot in particular. Can takanot be expanded by later generations?
- Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb-Insights and Ideas to Make Your Seder More Meaningful
Seder themes including: there is order in the world, hakarat hatov, do what’s right and know there’s eventual reward.
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-Q&A- Polygamy, Sacrificing Oneself & Angels
Questions and answers, including: chochmat hatora (vs yidiat hatora) is about general insight into life; amoraim’s learning; trying to get married is a mitzva; grabbing time to learn; mitzvah to believe; philosophy (good or bad?); rabbeinu gershom; fish and meat; dealing with uneducated Jews; theodicy; value of biographies of baalei mesora; baalei tshuva returning home; academic study of Judaism; limits on being a giver; and endangering oneself.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Pru U’Rivu and Birth Control Part 3
Rambam and later authorities on under what circumstances one can delay marriage (e.g., talmud torah, age) or space having children (e.g. anxiety, parnasa). With regard to mitzvot in general, when does delay turn into a bitul asei?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Emunah
Learn emuna from those who came before you who demonstrated it and understand that we can’t always understand HKBH’s will, but it will eventually make sense.
- Sacks-Herenstein Center-Now Vs. Later? Values in Conflict
Dating issues, including: knowing oneself (and taking responsibility); advisers (parents, friends, teachers), yeshiva university atmosphere, and what we can do better. It sounds like just about everyone can use some counseling. (me-from whom? How much?)
- Rabbi Elchanan Adler-Halachos of Chol Hamoed
Is it really moed with a touch of chol or vice versa? Is mlacha(to be defined– how much like shabbat?) forbidden due to tircha? (Not allowing focus on chag). Specific applications discussed
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-The History and Controversy of Mechiras Chametz Part 4: The Great Supermarket Debate
Supermarket selling chametz for pesach but continuing to be open during the holiday – why did some authorities allow it while others did not? (halacha and hashkafa)
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Halachos of Pesach
Pesach topics, including: sale of chametz; charoset (medicinal purposes or mitzva), egg matzoh; seder order; wine versus grape juice; maror; hand versus machine matza; kitniyot; eruv tavshilin and teaching ikrei emuna.
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Parshas Vayikra Is Hiddur Mitzvah Possible After the Mitzvah (Like Eating Matzoh) Has Been Done?
Classic gemara on tzitzin makvin by mila(do you get hidur on your second shot?) and the application to etrog and afikomen
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Pru U’Rivu and Birth Control Part 2
When might non-childbearing relationships be permitted? Cases to consider are various contraceptive methods, bia shelo kdarka, makom sakana, and one who already achieved pru urvu. Introduction to the topic of deferral versus bitul aseih.
- Rabbi Dovid Cohen, Rabbi Hershel Schachter,Rabbi Moshe Rotberg,Rabbi Shmuel Fuers-4/1/23 – Shiur 414 – The most common Pesach Shailos answered by the world’s leading Rabbonim – Hear some new fascinating Shailos
Various and sundry pesach questions – all the usual suspects, including koshering, shiurim, minhagim and raui lachilat kelev.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].