by Joel Rich
When you add to the shmoneh esrai, do you articulate words or just think thoughts? (eg do you actually say the words “please send a refuah shleimah for Avraham ben Sarah” or do you simply think those words or about that individual??
From a R YBS letter dated in 1956 found in Chakira Volume 32 the Rav states he was unable to come to Eretz Yisrael during the winter due to teaching commitments but he would try to come the following summer.
The paragraph concludes with: “Ani tefilla vgam tchina ki evra vereh et haaretz hatova.” (me – I can’t help but cry, don’t wait until it’s too late.)
- Rabbi Moshe Kurtz-Do Children Belong in Shul?
Bringing children to shul involves a delicate balance between decorum and chinuch.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Gittin Shiur #8- Women and Eidus, Chaishinan Lemiuta, Miut Hamatzui
Topics include: Neemanut (eid echad, isha, specific areas of suspicion, bal davar), rov vs. chazaka, miyut hamatzui, chazaka draba, and chosheish lmiuta.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-The Beracha of Hamapil
Is hamapil a birchat hanehenin or shevach (al minhago shel olam) or a combination of both? (me-how non-Brisker!) There are indications both ways and many nafka minas.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parshat Yayishlach : Shnayim Mikra V’Echad Targum – Get It Right
Is shnayim mikra patterned after kriat hatora in shul with a meturgaman or after how the torah was transmitted through moshe. There are many nakfa minas.
- Eli Weber-Historical Sketches of Rishonim and Achronim
Why it’s important to know about the life and times of rishonim and achronim.
Here an analysis of Rashi’s life, times, personality and approach.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parshat Bo: Kiddush Levana – Should We Wait For Motzei Shabbos?
Many opinions (and derivations) of the earliest and latest dates to say kiddush levana. Practical applications discussed.
- Dr. Dodi Tobin a”h – Judaism’s View on Mortality
We need to reflect on our own mortality and realize that death is only part of our journey. Elokai neshama exhibits this philosophy of our potential and our finiteness. We need to confront suffering as part of our growth (it’s above our pay grade to truly understand). We shouldn’t suppress our fear of death but confront it.
- Mrs. Emma Katz-A Deep Dive Into Sefer Yona: Perek Alef
First in a series. The message of chapter 1 is that HKBH is behind everything and tshuva is a complex, ongoing process.
- Rabbi Evan Hoffman-Introduction to the History of Jerusalem
First in a series. Jerusalem history (geography, rulers, et al) up through 70 CE.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Sichat Mussar for Ki Teitzei: Winds of Change; Moral Overconfidence
A message to incoming gap year students concerning YHE’s compact with talmidim – we respect your freedom, you trust us. Have a plan to grow!
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parshat Lech Lecha: When It Can Be Dangerous To Refuse
The gemara lists three things that if you refuse, you lose: aliya to Torah, kos shel bracha and manhigut. Are these part of a more general algorithm or is there something specific to these three cases?
- Rabbanit Shayna Goldberg-Talking about Trust and Fear in Halakha Education
Be honest and positive in teaching the variety of halachic options that exist. Feel good about your relationship with HKBH.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Saying Kiddush on Bartenura Freeze Pops
Are frozen pops a mashkeh or maachal?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Teshuva Talks Ep. 2 with Rabbi Hershel Schachter
We have free will with a natural tendency towards a relationship with HKBH. Tshuva is a process – don’t give up! Tips provided.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Torah of HaRav Aharon Lichtenstein: Gradations of Teshuva
Try to be pious but also intellectually honest. Remember you are human but also be demanding of yourself. Tshuva is an ongoing process.
- Rav Asher Weiss- מצות מעקה
We need to remove active and passive threats to our safety. Is it permitted to live in a place where there is no maakeh?
- Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner-Giants Of #1: The Savoraim
Brief introduction to the period of the gaonim/saboraim.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Mishpat Sanhedrin and Mishpat Melech
The mishpat hamelech takes individual circumstances into account. That’s what we ask of HKBH for ourselves during the aseret ymei tshuva. Shmiat hashofar represents our relationship with HKBH.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Synthesizing the Weekday & Shabbos: Living the Dual Dreams of Yosef Hatzadik
R YBS on halacha, spirituality and torat imecha (emotional component).
- Rabbi Shimmy Steinmetz-Writing in the Hospital on Shabbos for Healthcare Professionals
Doctors and writing on Shabbat – what’s the status of computer “writing”? There are still hand signatures required (eg death certificates, discharge papers) which can be an issue.
- Rabbi Ari Shvat (Chwat)-“What’s the Difference Between Torah in Israel or in America?!”
Torat Eretz Yisroel is qualitatively different than that of chutz laretz.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parshat Emor: What Happened To The Mitzva Of Honoring Kohanim?
There are a number of reasons (rationalizations?) why people aren’t sensitive to the mitzva of being mekadesh (vikidashto) a cohen today. What are the parameters of the degree of defense due a cohen?
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Parshas Ki Seitzei Can the Rabbanan Prohibit Something Which the Torah Expressly Allows?
At one point the rabbis enacted a ban on charging interest to a non-Jew. The Taz understood that the rabbis couldn’t uproot something expressly required by the torah. There’s debate as to how to define the parameters of the Taz’s position, some reject it completely.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – The Dog in the Yichud Room
Do we need yichud haraui lbiah for nisuin? Does an elephant in the room break yichud haraui lbiah? (Probably not, but it’s not suggested 😊)
- Rabbi Jeremy Wieder-Sichah – Torah Values Relating to Workers and Wealth
Employer/employee relationships require a higher standard than pure din if we wish to be considered zaro shel avraham.
- Rabbi Moshe Hauer,with Rabbi Aharon Lopiansky ,Rabbi Efrem Golberg,Rabbi Shay Schachter ,Rebbetzin Slovie Jungreis-Wolff-9/10/22 – Shiur 387 – Are my Tefillos really worth anything? Does Hashem really listen to me? Powering up our Tefillos
Tips to make tfila more meaningful. (IMHO starting with the symptom not the cause – lack of a deep relationship with HKBH).
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parshat Acharei Mot – Is A Goral Halachically Binding
There are sources (eg cohanim, yerusha) that give halachic credibility to a fairly run goral (lottery). The exact mechanics (eg why it isn’t asmachta?) are subject to discussion but one probably shouldn’t mess with it!
- Rabbi Eliakim Koenigsberg-Halacha Topics – Slichos
Slichot (per R YBS) should be viewed as a prologue (hakdamah) to the day’s tfilot. When and how to properly say them are discussed here.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parshat Shemini: Why Don’t We Duchan Daily In Chutz Le’aretz
All the usual suspects as to why ashkenazim don’t duchen daily in ch”ul plus the beit efraim as to why ashkenazic practice is actually lechatchila (due to cohanei chazaka issues). Some good insights on segulot and kfum tzara agra.
- Rabbi Shalom Rosner-Halacha & Minhag – Elul and Rosh HaShanah
Review of S”A Slichot/erev rosh hashana sections.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].