by Joel Rich
Question: what is your pulpit rabbi’s policy concerning eating at his parishioner’s homes? What considerations should go into such a policy?
The Rambam defines bnai noach marriage (Isut1:1) and divorce (Milachim 9:8) on a very prosaic basis (no documentation required). In our chabura we discussed this in terms of whether halacha builds on or supersedes mitvzot bnai noach (eg is kiddushin/nissuin bnai noach marriage on steroids or a totally different concept?);Is this related to the debate over whether the jewish soul differs from that of a ben noach (on fifth level of creation?)
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Cake Smash
Cake smash is a cake you order for a baby’s first birthday which you don’t eat but the baby smashes with his face and you take pictures. Mutar?
Me-really, if this is a common practice in the MO community, it’s time for an asifa (without luxury box seats available) ☹
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Hagbah and Gelilah: Simple, Right? Maybe Not..
What’s the proper way to turn when you do hagba? Do you need to see the klaf in order to say vzot hatora? Should you bow or point at the sefer?
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parashat Behar-Bechukotai: Takanot and Bans – Can They be Instituted Nowadays?
What is the source of the power to make takanot? (Depends on kosher political theories). The source makes a difference in the enactments and their continuation. How do you define a kehila and its members? The Moetzet should be able to enact takanot for all agudists.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Hilchot Yomtov: Practicle Need To Konw Halachot for Yomtov
Yom tov topic including: hot water pot (can’t add water, except possibly derech gramma), sink hot water (maybe OK), yom tov mode oven (CLOR), and bottle caps (standard shabbat issue).
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Reading Newspapers/Magazines on Shabbat; Potential Halachic Issues
Shouldn’t reading anything you don’t need to know be assur to read on Shabbat (maybe weekdays too)? Certainly ads could be an issue (me-Torah sheets, mishpocha = bye-bye?) What about disposing of publications containing divrei tora (or taking them into the bathroom)
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-Gittin Shiur – הקדמה לגיטין 1
Introduction to gittin focusing on literary analysis of the psukim and the associated philosophies of gittin and kiddushin.
- Ran Asher Weiss- בענין תולעים זעירים
What’s the deal with kashrut and microscopic bugs?
- Gabriella Licsko-Bais Yaakov in Historical Perspective (Part 4)
Map of where beit yaakov spread and where and why it gained rabbinic support (not Hungary!)
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Consumption of Forbidden foods Unwittingly-Does it cause Timtum Halev
Is timtum haleiv from maachalot asurot due to the aveira involved or the actual objects’ essence? Nafka minas provided.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Taking a Shower in Lieu of Tevilah in a Mikvah
Tvila for certain purposes may be accomplished by a shower (if you know the right way to stand!)
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Ta’ot Akum – What You Need to Know
Gneivat akum is stealing. Returning a lost object to an akum might be an issue of false equivalency (non-Jews have no requirement to return lost objects to us) or supporting sinners (there may be practical differences). Returning taut akum may not be required technically but haskafically it’s a kiddush hashem (me-the beer hagola’s comments on the long run implications of not returning taut akum (bad) may be seen as extrinsic divine retribution but IMHO it’s also intrinsic, the personality that seeks that type of edge will eventually overreach).
- Ari Wasserman ,with Rabbi Yisroel and Mrs. Elisheva Kamenetsky,Rabbi Moshe Mordechai Lowy –,Rabbi Chaim Eisenstein, Rabbi Zeev Leff ,Rabbi Binyomin Kessler-8/27/22 – Shiur 385 – Back to School – Do we need to adhere to all school rules? If we don’t, can we sign the school handbook?
Don’t lie unless daat torah tells you it’s OK. (Me-“What can you do speaks so loudly, I can not hear what you say”, Robert Browning) Try to be in sync with your school’s vision.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-When Kabbalah Conflicts with Halacha-Practical Applications
If kabala goes against standard halacha, halacha trumps. As a general rule we treat kabala as a single opinion so it can be machria a machloket or triumph if it stands alone.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Torah Intuition and Building a Philosophy from a Single Source
Ikrei emuna are built on a broad knowledge of sources, not on single talmudic statements.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parshat Beshalach: Should The Lechem Mishne Be On The Table Before Kiddush?
Lechem mishna – duraita or drabanan? Implications include requirement for women and requirement for shalem.
- Rabbi Berel Wein-Rabbi Berel Wein – Inyanei Rosh Hashana
The message of the yamim noraim is to have a sense of perspective. This can be seen in malchiyot, zichronot and shofrot.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Shiur Pesicha: Maseches Sanhedrin (YU Kollel, Los Angeles)
Introduction to various elements of mesechet gittin including: R YBS on pshara (it’s not split the difference): issur vheter is abstract, mamonot are concrete cases; pshara of bet din is final; nature of bet din for geirut; mamon vs knas vs kapara payments; nature of smicha and hora; and ir hamiklat today.
- Rabbi Itamar Rosensweig-גירושין בכתב ואישות בקנין חזק
Gittin psukim implications including: can you dissolve a marriage, what is the mechanism for dissolution? What are the justifications for divorce?
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Purchasing Lots in Gan Eden – Good Investments or Gimmick?
You can’t buy schar mitzvah after the fact but you can get credit for supporting someone who is doing a mitzvah. You can get a portion of punishment as an areiv. You can’t buy a child but you can raise him on your own account.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Introduction to the Tur and Beit Yosef (1)
Histories and processes of the Tur, Shulchan Aruch, Rama, Mishna Brura and Aruch HaShulchan.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Mirror Mirror on the Wall- Mirrors in Halachot
Mirror mirror on the wall, whose reflection can we recall (halachically)? Applications include: Eidut (kiddush hachodesh, any others), birchat riah, havdalah, and tfila (in front of erva). Bottom line – reflections are not considered guf hadavar. Bonus – why not printing women’s pictures in periodicals is the right call.
- Rabbi Ya’akov Trump-Seeing is Believing: Learning Tanach and Gemara by traveling Israel
Shiloh and Ir David are examples of archeology (me-at least some archeologists) supporting Tanach account.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Viduy and Teshuva- Do it K’Halacha
What are the key words of vidui? Who must say them? Must you stand and understand what you are saying (yes)?
- Rabbi Avishai David-The Halachik parameters of Safek Bracha
Safeik brachot lhakhel with exceptions. Includes discussion of birchat hamazon (women v men), bakashot allowed on shabbat, status of birchat mein shalosh, and sipping coffee over a long time period
- Eli Weber-Political philosophy and halacha/a>
The Rambam viewed the Jewish King as the preferred approach. When it works right, he’s HKBH’s representative. Abarbanel – not so much.
- Rabbi Ari Kahn-לא תסור ימין ושמאל
Lo tasur – is the Sanhedrin’s decision true (emet) because it’s objectively true or because of its authority? What if you “objectively” know the decision is wrong (me-what is truth or knowing in a post-modern world?)
- Rabbi Dr. Ari Berman-B’inyan Get Lishma: The Consumer and the Covenant
R YBS on lshma – get vs. sotah. R Berman’s message is that there’s a difference between consumer and covenantal relationships.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Hilchot Selichot
Slichot are an avoda. Details include: timing, better to say less with kavana than to rush things, chatzi kaddish needs three psukim before it, saying hashem hashem requires tzibur with you, and saying tachanun together.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Hilchot Erev Rosh Hashana
Erev rosh hashana practices include: mikveh, visiting graves and giving tzedakah, taking haircuts shows bitachon and fasting.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Experiencing the Essence of Learning Torah
Learning torah is the way to understand HKBH and strengthen our relationship with him.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].