by Joel Rich
The gemara (Sanhedrin 47a) says it’s a good sign for the departed if they are not properly eulogized (apparently it’s a “punishment”). If so, why don’t we see more people requesting they not be eulogized?
If divorce is viewed as an option to prevent undue leverage (you’re stuck no matter what I do), why isn’t there a similar option in cases of srara (or is there)?
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Standing up by a Chuppah; The case for standing for the chatan and kalla as they walk to the chupa is shaky (going to do mitzvah, melech…) Perhaps a better case can be made for standing at the chupa. Do you take a principled stand or just stand 😊? Either way, be mchazeik those who do mitzvot.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Halachos Of Elul and Selichos
Elul practices including: tshuva, (do it), slichot (mean it), saying ldavid and tehilim. Technical details are important in the service of the overarching goal.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parashat Vayeira: Zerizin Makdimin & Mitzva Haba Leyadcha Al Tachmitzena – Is There a Difference Between Them?
Is there a difference between zrizin makdimin and al tachmitzena? How do they interact with the priority of hiddur?
- Dr. Naomi Seidman-Bais Yaakov in Historical Perspective (Part 3)
Lecture covers DP camp experiences and culture including push to marriage, restart of beit yaakov and the formation of sacred legends.
- Rabbi Moshe Sokoloff-Halachos For the Lefty’s- Part 2
Does being a lefty make a difference for: hand washing (morning vs. motzi), holding a sefer torah, holding food for brachot, covering eyes for shma, and holding tzitzit.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Practical and Meaningful Halachot for Every Day Life
Things people don’t know including: yud of tfillin needs to be adjacent to bayit, blackening straps, placement of tfilin shel rosh, bakashot in tefilla (where, how long), women’s chiyuv in zimun (yes), and amira lakum has become (wrongly) naaseh kheter.
- Rav Asher Weiss- אמירת לשם ייחוד
The debate over saying yhi ratzon dates back to the Arizal/Zohar. Reasons for and against this practice are presented.
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-LIVE! Q&A – Jewish Responsibility, Rabbinic Authority & Bein Hazmanim
Q&A including: halacha and hashkafa of pi, ohr lagoyim (how to), women being motzi men in mitzvot, study of law/gemara (comparison), internet (+&-), kabala, hatov vhameitiv, avoda of elul, evolution of tora/mitzvot over 40 years in sinai, tisha bav during bayit sheni, kofin oto vs. dina dmalchuta, involvement in politics (not for everyone), individual brachot/klalot, hierarchy in talmud torah, yishuv eretz yisrael (must be on radar), taanit esther on Shabbat (why not), kum lei mdraba minei philosophy, and more.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Last Will And Testament Jewish Style
Inheritance halacha doesn’t bend to dina dmalchuta (me-R Moshe?) Doesn’t deal with why torah would set up a system which would encourage fights within a family but it does cover work arounds.
- RABBI Ron Yitzchok Eisenman – KASTNER Source of Pride or Badge of Silence -YOU DECIDE
R Eisenman extensively presents the cases for and against Rudolph Kastener. This was from a tisha bav presentation. (My sense is R Eisenman is in the against camp).
- Harav Mosheh Lichtenstein- On Priorities Outside Yeshiva
Upon leaving the yeshiva, one must take their drive and commitment with them. Tfilah may become more of a focus and allocating time and resources based on competing values can be a challenge. Specific guidance should be local, based on all the facts and circumstances.
- Rabbanit Esti Rosenberg-On Torah Learning at Migdal Oz
Women’s learning has evolved over the last 30 years. Description of the differences from the Gush men’s curriculum as well as the goals of Migdal Oz.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Poskim and Pesakim – Rav Elchonon Wasserman
Bio of R Elchanan Wasserman as a role model of intellect and chessed. Branovich was the mothership for modern yeshivot. Examples of his hashkafa and halacha are provided.
- Dr. Moshe Sokolow-Rambam: A Man of Letters (Part 5)
Primarily a review of a possible response to the missing 165 years issue (beit hamikdash chronology)
- Rabbi Berach Steinfeld, Mr. Shuli Alpert,Mr. Yosef Shidler-8/20/22 – Shiur 384 – My child was not accepted into any school!!! School Acceptance Policies – Discrimination
Some communities have a problem placing all their children in schools – why? What can be done? Who is responsible for the problem? Who should fix it?
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-I Just Want To Be Pareve
Not bar not in theory and practice.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Personal Bakashot on Rosh Hashanah
The permissibility of crying and bakashot on yamim noraim may be related issues. Rabbi Kleinman’s mesora is to avoid them but there are authorities who disagree. It’s probably related to how one views the nature of yom hadin.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Using Modern Technology to Our Advantage
Technology isues including “shaimos” on a computer screen, toiveling electronic chips, and security cameras/shabbat.
- Rabbi Ari Kahn-נעלים של מת (Shoes of a dead person)
There’s a minhag of not wearing shoes (which ones?) of the departed. It may be based on a typo in the tzava of R Yehuda Hachasid
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-Chiyuv Challah from A Wheat-Rice Dough
Technical discussion of the status of combined grains.
- Rabbi Howard Apfel-Giving Medical Attention to a Terrorist or Rodef
Is there a chiyuv to treat a wounded non-Jew? (yes) A safeik rodef? (yes) Murderer? (hmmm) Is secondary eiva a concern?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Tzedakah and Maaser Kesafim
Implications of maser kesafim being a “minhag” including: parental support, receipt of a large one-time lump sum, tuition …
Interesting is that R Asher Weiss holds that you can use maser kesafim to have a sefer tora written and maintain ownership while it is used in a shul.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parashat Shoftim: Halachot of Cutting Down a Fruit tree
Is there still a danger in cutting down fruit trees even if it’s halachically permitted? Under what circumstances can a tree be halachically cut down? (cost/benefit analysis?)
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Parashat Vayikra: “Shhhh, Dont Tell Anyone Secrets in Halacha”
Is not repeating something you’ve heard a mitzvah or a good mida? How are known or assumed concerns (of originator or recipient) taken into account? Specific applications include deceased, mail, toelet, seeking out secrets, and saying, “I don’t know” when you do.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Ayin Hara- A Legitimate Danger or Phobia?
Ayin hora is serious business (halachically and hashkafically) either because of spiritual harm or actual mtziut. Details and antidotes follow.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Beware of Danger!
Lots of details on the whole fish/meat/danger issue.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Shiur Pesicha on Maseches Gittin
Introduction to mesechet gittin including: kinyan, shtar raya, shtar kinyan, levels of data, lishma and more.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Boruch Shepitrani with Shem Hamalchus; Voting, Political Correctness & Basic Mentchlichkeit
Should baruch sheptnarani be said with shem umalchut? (there are differing opinions!) Is there a general rule not to use shem umalchut if the bracha isn’t mentioned in the gemara? Exceptions noted and explained, practical advice provided.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Bentching with a Mezuman: Is a Kos a must?
The sources for using a benching kos shel bracha are either derech kavod for HKBH or kabbalistic. Do you require a zimmun for it? Is there a chiyuv or is it a mitzvah min hamuvchar? Current practices discussed.
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-Introduction to Gittin – What Type of Mitzvah Is It?
What type of mitzvah is gittin? Is it comparable to shechita (ie only if you want it)? Is it a positive requirement in certain situations? Is it viewed as supporting good marriages by allowing an escape hatch? Is the mitzvah to do it or technically or how to carry it out?
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].