by Joel Rich
I was looking at ger katan and thinking that he must be patur from 7 mitzvot for, if not, conversion to Judaism would be a case of going to kedusha kala if chayav as a ben noach but not as a jew. Thoughts?
I always wondered what titanu (you let us wander) was doing at the end of the al cheits. Are we blaming HKB”H for our freely made decisions? When learning Rambam’s hilchot tshuva, it occurs to me saying that he can’t make us do the right thing, but he can answer our prayer to help us identify the right path for us to go through with our own free will.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Various Halachik Aspects of Tefilla B’Tzibbur
Worth listening to just to, if not just to hear the common practices which are against the seemingly plain halacha.
Is tfila btzibur a chiyuv? How is it defined? When must one start or finish? What about (with?) the shatz? Lots of good detail.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Leaving Negative Online Reviews
It’s very difficult to balance lashon hara concerns with the toelet exception in times of social media. [Me – when providers ask satisfied customers to post satisfaction on community lists, how do dissatisfied customers let the community know that even a broken watch is right twice a day?]
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Pre-Shiur Conversations : Identifying with Sinners
Talmudic methodology shiur focusing on yachloku vs. kol dalim gvar.
- Rabbi Mark Glass-What is a Good Jew? The Thought of R. Lichtenstein and its Relevance to Elul #3
Every act of a ben torah should be in the service of HKBH and infused with spirituality.
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-Q&A: Shidduchim, Naftli Benet, Ghosts and more
Q&A including: Shidduch essentials; Dealing with you past; Gzeirot and takanot; Gedolim/gadol hador; Takanot Rabbeinu Gershom; Rambam language; Frum secular marriages; Eilu veilu in mtziut; Kiruv tactics; Sheidim; Gilgul; Tzitzit; Dateline; and Why Herod?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – The Beracha on Wraps
Wraps are hamotzi but you could argue otherwise.
- Rabbi Dovid Miller-Shiur Klali-Pidyon Shvuyim
Mitzvot of chesed are commanded on both an individual and communal basis, communal ones have more objective standards.
- Rabbi Ezra Schwartz-Hashkafa, on Parshas Noach: Chamas, Determinism and Evolution
1.) Chamas destroys societies 2.) How can a person die without sin? 3.) Evolution may explain how the teiva held all the animals.
- Rav Asher Weiss-משקל החלומות ורוח הקודש בהלכה
Q. How did Noach know who defiled him? A. Dream, ruach hakodesh or logic?
Two gemaras seem contradictory concerning dreams’ credibility, maybe one was safeik or sakana or segula and the other was halacha. Also discussed, who can access ruach hakodesh.
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Bava Batra shiur 9 (בית כנסת)
Why can’t you tear down a shul to rebuild a new one? Is it concern you won’t rebuild or that you will have no place to daven? Discussion of halachic and/or sociological concerns. Also discussed are kedushat beit knesset source and why building al tnai is only valid in ch”ul.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-R. Avraham ben HaRambam on Aggadot
R’Avraham ben Harambam’s classification system for agada.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Torah and Science
Various non-literal approaches to reconciling the “science” of creation with Bereshit. Chazal were teaching deeper messages, not science.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Smart Locks on Shabbos
General issue—What’s the halachic status of one causing digital data to be automatically recorded on Shabbat.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-מוסר טבעי בתורת ר’ קוק ובתורת הרב עמיטל
Sources and applications of R’Amital’s philosophy of natural morality.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Parsha Shiur- Noach
Parsha topics including, but certainly not limited to: Multiple worlds; Dateline; Cherem; Bnai Noach oaths; Why was there a need for a pasuk to allow relations after mabul; Seven heavens; Could Adam eat meat; Suicide; Abortion; Etiquette vs. ethics; Pikuach nefesh and much more.
- Rabbi Aaron Buechler-Cheating on Tests – Rav Moshe & Rav Vosner
Cheating is bad, even to give more time to learn. Listen here for specific prohibitions violated.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Formerly Frum Leading Bentching
An am haaretz can’t be part of a zimun (of three, maybe of ten) but defining an am haaretz may leave some wiggle room. Why has the application of this “prohibition” diluted?
- Rabbi Dr. Jeffrey Woolf-חכמי ספרד הראשונים
A brief history of the four rabbis to sfarad story and how the learning approach in sfarad differed from ashkenaz (not Omni significance but aliba dhilchita focus).
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-The Philosophical Implications of Praying in Other Languages (1)
While only one of three rishonim understands praying in any language as being allowed for an individual, it seems generally accepted. Perhaps people today look more at avinu and less at malkeinu.
- Rabbi Yehuda Turetsky-Introducing the Thought of the Netziv: Impact and Inspiration
A brief bio of the Netziv and the breadth of his words.
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-The Essence of Avraham Avinu’s Emunah – והאמין בה׳
While Noach was a maamin, it was a narrower emunah (based on events/covenants) than Avraham’s more complete emunah (intellect, emotion).
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Bava Batra shiur 10 (אגדתא דף ד., מנהג המדינה, נפלה הכותל)
Why might one not encourage a (rasha, enemy of the Jews, or non-ben brit) to get any zechuyot? How is a nasi defined? What is the scope of minhag medina—is rabbinic endorsement needed?
- Rabbi Ya’akov Trump-The Importance of Shul in our Lives
Shul (tfila btzibbur) is a higher form of prayer which helps us recognize HKBH and ask for our needs. The community is greater than the sum of its parts and continues on even as individuals come and go.
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Definition of Lechem and Yayin
Lechem is halachically dough (isah) based (not “bread”) and yayin is grape liquid (not “wine”). Discussion of why wine is different from other liquids. Also covered some meal/non-meal/ikar vs. tafel issues.
- Rabbi Reuven Brand-The Weekly Torah Controversy: Metzitzah Bpeh
Is metzitza at a brit a natural or supernatural concern? It’s important to tease out all the details before taking a position.
- Rabbi Yehoshua Grunstein-Halachik Preference versus Jewish Reality
Four examples where “the olam” practices different from what halacha would seem to require. There must be a good reason (me-really?)
- Rabbi Uri Orlian-The Minchas Yitzchak’s Ingenuitive Solution to Mamzerus in a Country Where Slavery is Prohibited
Can a non-bat brit become a giyoret in order to solve someone’s mamzeirut problem? (Post holocaust this was a big issue.)
Is wearing tfillin on chol hamoed linked to mlacha? Musaf? Does kabala push towards not wearing them then?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Tosefet Sheviit (7): Yerushalmi 1:1 – More Limitations Of Chochma and Minyan
Stabilization of law is an important priority in a legal system. Undoing (being mvatel) a rule is more abrupt than relying (being someich) on a minority opinion when needed.
- Rabbi Uri Orlian-A Practical Guide to Hataras Nedarim – Can Multiple People be Matir Simultaneously?
How much like a “real” beit din should a beit din for hatarat nedarim be? Maybe for charata (immediate regret) there’s a less compelling argument than for petach (later seeking of a “if I had known”) reason which requires more analysis.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].