by Joel Rich
Note to a podcaster:
Enjoyed your why trust science podcast. One thing you discussed was how more intense analysis indicated that certain counterintuitive results turned out to be based on faulty work. I would just point out that when results match our intuition one rarely sees anybody say we really should make sure the study was done properly.
From a blog
The true joy that she witnessed – even from a distance in Monsey – of people in their last decades enjoying their children, grandchildren and beyond – are possible for her, but not a very good bet
If we are trying to understand “the other” we need to realize that their goals and definitions may be different than our own (e.g. “true joy”)
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-Being מקבל עול מלכות שמים from Lake George
We don’t always understand but we must appreciate that HKB”H is in charge. Malchut and din fit together (accept melech and thus his din). The shofar represents HKB”H being machshiv us and reaching out to us.
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-Minhagim’s Role in Monetary Issues
Minhag in mamanot – Policy, common agreement and/or rabbinic din.
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Bava Batra shiur 5 (היזק ראיה)
Why is there generally no chazaka for hezek riah? How do windows differ from other riah? What exactly is the concern in hezek riah?
- Rav Asher Weiss-יסודות התשובה והוידוי
Vidui and tshuva per the Rambam. Everybody can do tshuva and tfila based on their individual capabilities. Tahara can come in a moment.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – The Order of Leisheiv B’Sukkah and She’hechiyanu on the Second Night of Sukkos
Shechiyanu on the first night goes on the sukkah as well as the day; on the second night it’s just on the day. Does it make a difference in the order of brachot?
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-רואים את הקולות – הסמלים והדימויים של קול השופר בראש השנה- דרך פסוקי מלכיות זכרונות ושופרות
Psukim in Rosh Hashana mussaf provide us with appropriate concepts to consider during shofar blowing.
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Two Insights Regarding Teshuvah for Sins Against Others (Bein Adam L’Chaveiro)
The difference in language in the Rambam concerning making good when one has stolen vs. bein adam lchaveiro tshuva is indicative of the latter being about one’s relationships and the tzibbur.
- Dr. Daniel Rynhold-Repentance in Modern Jewish Thought (Part 3)
R’YBS and R’Kook are about tshuva as a positive optimistic experience. It’s a this worldly focus.
- Rabbi Asher Weiss-Rosh HaShanah 5782 – Inyanei D’Yoma B’Halacha V’Aggadah 2
Is the mitzvah of shofar to blow it or to hear it? Maybe one is the maaseh and the other the mahut (kiyum)? Maybe blowing is malchut and hearing is the wakeup call?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Inyanei Rosh Hashanah
Rosh Hashana topics including: Slichot as hakdama; Neila as culmination; Crying; Number of brachot and their seder; Order of kolot; Psukim and reasons for them; and Answering amen.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-The Balance between Halacha and Aggada
The boundary between aggadah and halacha isn’t always clear. The integration of halacha and aggadah can help us better understand halacha and hashkafa.
- Dr. Marc Shapiro-Aug 31, 2021 Great Rabbinic Thinkers: Rabbi Saul Lieberman (Part 4)
R’Lieberman’s publications while he was at Hebrew U. were many.
Are all midrashim equally authoritative? (no). Can everyone handle the truth? (no). Introduction to Harry Fishel’s institute in Israel which looked to include the academic approach in the beit medrash.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Putting the Noam Elimelech Under the Pillow in the Delivery Room
Leaving a sefer under an invalid’s pillow may seem a violation of prohibited “magic,” but it seems many allowed it anyway.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Setting a Trap to See if an Employee Will Steal
Is testing an employee with a trap considered lfnei iver? Differing opinions explored.
- Rabbi Yaakov Moshe Charlop,Rabbi Shlomo Francis -9/4/21 – Shiur 337 – Sukkos I – How to shop for the Daled Minim – How to make a Sukkah
Understanding the products and pricing in the etrog market. Common sukkah questions discussed (e.g., ruach metzuyah, mats and travel).
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-Q&A: Ba’al Teshuva Integration, Free Will, Politics and more
Topics include: Yibum; Chazal and science; Looking for proofs of HKBH’s existence; Free will; Moshiach; Triage; Political involvement; Olam haba/tchiyat hameitim, Hishtadlut; and countering missionaries.
I’m glad R’Breitowitz also doesn’t understand how gedolim can say we can ignore Horiyot priorities!
- Rabbi Aryeh Leibowitz-The Mitzvah of (Teki’as) Shofar: A Halachik and Philosophic Analysis
Is the mitzvah of shofar tkia or shmia (or both)? The answer has both hashkafic and halachic implications.
- Rabbi Jeremy Wieder-Sichah – Delayed Gratification
Tshuva requires a long-term strategy and effort.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Erev Rosh Hashanah Sicha – 5782- Walk To Heaven
Tips for Rosh Hashana davening for first year gap students at Gush.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Wills, Estate Planning and Life Insurance
A brief overview of halachic inheritance rules and workarounds followed by a plea for life insurance.
FWIW I don’t recall hearing the RIETS practical rabbinics shiurim saying to put a sum aside to go through the regular halachic inheritance rules.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Teshuva–Defining Who We Are
Who is the “real” person? The one at intersection of rationality (cognitive) and desires (emotion). The point of tshuva is self-actualization to the true self we want to be. [me – This has been my theory in working through Sefer Hamada which concludes with hilchot tshuva as a bridge to sefer ahavah. Yesodei, deot, and talmud torah tells us who we want to be!]
- Rabbi Ezra Schwartz-Simanim on Rosh Hashana Culled From the New Sefer Batei Yosef
Rosh Hashana topics from Batei Yoseif including: Simanim (yhi ratzon/prayer is key); Saying sheim hashem; Sleeping (not); Hamelech Hakadosh; Yoma arichta; and Shechiyanu.
- Rabbi Yaakov B. Neuburger-Inyanei D’yoma: Q & A on davening of Rosh HaShanah
Q&A including piyutim (purpose and favorites) and personal bakashot on Rosh Hashana.
- Rabbi Mordechai I. Willig-בין היחיד והציבור (על התשובה)
The Tzibbur is a unique entity. R’YBS worried about the future of both Israel and US communities.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-All 10 Days
Don’t underestimate the power of the asseret ymei tshuva and be sure to take advantage of the opportunity.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-The Mitzvah of Eating on Erev Yom Kippur
Is eating on erev yom kippur in order to have an easier fast or for the simcha of Yom Kippur? Implications for duraita/drabanan, women, choleh, what/how much to eat and ktanim.
- Rabbi Eliav Silverman-The nature of Tzom Gedalia
Is Tzom Gedalia about tshuva or mitat tzadikim and why does it matter.
- Rabbi Daniel Hartstein-Forgive & Forget: How to Right The Wrong
Mechila by itself is not enough, the guilty party must feel it.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Three Approaches to Aggada
Rambam’s three groups of aggadists: Literal and believe it (they’re wacky), Literal and it’s wacky (they’re apikorsim); Nuanced (Rambam). Others disagreed.
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Bava Batra shiur 6 (עין הרע, קנין דברים)
Taking medicine on Yom Kippur for non-life threatening reasons. Issues include: Shelo kderech achila; Achshivei; Duraita vs. drabanan; Ein bo sakan vs. meichash; and Shabbat vs. other prohibitions. There are workarounds.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].