by Joel Rich
Bava Batra 60b seems to imply (by the comparable reactions) that the destruction of the temple was not as bad as the harsh decrees of Rome (against torah study and mitzvot.) Your thoughts?
Brachot 58B says a dead person is not forgotten from the heart for 12 months whereas Moed Katan 8b says 30 days. How do omnisignificers deal with this?
- Ari Wasserman.Rabbi Aharon Lopiansky,Rabbi Avi Wiesenfeld,Rabbi Dr. Zvi Ron-7/31/21 – Shiur 332 – Should birthdays be celebrated? Is having a birthday cake and candles a problem of Chukos Hagoyim? Can they be blown out?
Birthdays as time of cheshbon hanefesh (past and future). Discussion of chukat hagoyim and its implications for blowing out birthday candles. Lots of “lamdus” on the source of birthday cakes/candles.
- Rabbi Isaac Rice-Is there a Beracha on Non-Kosher Food? What If You Have No Choice?
Depending on circumstances (e.g., intentionality, type of prohibition, death threats) one might say a bracha before eating a prohibited item (or not).
- Rabbi Moshe Sokoloff-Wearing Tzitzes When It Is Very Hot & Issues When Going Swimming- Part 3
Can you wear tzitzit directly on your skin on a garment designed to absorb perspiration?
Do the color and material of the tzitzit need to be the same as the garment?
- Rabbi Ari Kahn-Mindfulness
Lesson—we need to be HKB”H conscious 24/7.
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-From the Rabbi’s Desk 3: International Dateline Shailos
History of the halachic dateline issue along with specific applications in the areas of doubt (e.g. What day is Yom Kippur in Japan?)
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Torah of HaRav Amital for Re’eh /Ellul- The Value of Talmidei Chachamim in the Modern World
R’Amital had a number of reasons (based on then current conditions) why developing talmidei chachamim in his time in Yeshivot hesder was more important than ever.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-החנות פתוחה והחנווני מקיף, הפנקס פתוח והיד כותבת
Everything we do is recorded and will be part of our reward and/or punishment. Everything happens for a reason.
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-From the Rabbi’s Desk 4: Uncommon Mitzvos
Analysis of cases where burning an object is required—asheira, orla, peter chamor and maser sheini.
- Rabbi Yona Reiss-Beis Din & Arkaos
Discussion of the prohibition of going to secular courts—is it an issue of glorifying a different system or an affront to the torah system? Specific applications discussed.
- Rabbi Yona Reiss-Contemporary Women’s Issues
The overarching issue is whether possible changes increase reverence/awe/yirat shamayim. Srarah, mesora and tzniut also play a role. Specific applications discussed.
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-From the Rabbi’s Desk 5: Shailos in Pas and Bishul Akum
Why isn’t pot yisrael universally required? Because earlier generations didn’t universally accept it. Does the definition of pot include cookies? cake? doughnuts? Remember though that bishul yisrael may be more demanding than pot!
- Rabbi Elchanan Adler-An Overview of Hilchos Chol HaMoed
Current amcha practice regarding chol hamoed is too much chol and not enough moed. Chazal used their discretion in defining general categories—tircha and mlacha are key ingredients. Applications discussed.
- Rabbi Dani Rapp-An Overview of Hilchos Ribbis
Primarily a review of many of Rabbinic forms of ribit. (I think the reason the Tur put hilchot ribit in yoreh deah may be somewhat prosaic based on the general introduction written by the Tur.)
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-An Overview of Hilchos Yerusha, Wills & Estates
RHS reviews the basics of the laws of inheritance and then moves on to special cases (e.g., muchzak, who dies first, changing order of inheritance . . .)
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-“The Torah Will Never Be Forgotten” – The Life of Rabeinu Hakadosh – Reb Yehuda Hanassi
Bio of R’Yehuda Hanasi and what he stood for. Some fascinating insights into R’HS (e.g., why he doesn’t write sifrei tshuvot).
- Rabbi Uri Orlian-Nishtaneh HaTeva: When Science & Halacha Collide
Philosophical positions range from chazal were right to chazal were following scientific knowledge of their times to nature has changed. (Me – we don’t need no data?) Case studies with real life implications include eight month babies and lice.)
- TITLE 17
Ongoing Talmud shiur. Topics include: Rabbinic sensitivity; Mitzvat aseih shehazman grama; Children/mitzvot; and tfillin.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-תחפושות בפורים
A number of reasons are given for the practice e of wearing Purim costumes, none of them particularly convincing. Crossdressing seems hard to defend but some do allow it. We should focus on true simcha, not foolishness.
Perhaps when the phrase chayav is used, it means we must be moser nefesh.
- Rabbi Howard Apfel-Overview of Halachos of Physicians on Shabbos
Varying opinions on whether it’s better not to become a doctor due to the halachic challenges involved in practicing medicine. Once you are a doctor, do you look at issurim as hutra or dchuya? Specific issue of treating non-bnai brit/apikorsim discussed. TBC.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin,Rabbi Mendel Blachman-NCSY Kollel Leil Iyun: The Meaning of Mesorah – Experiences of Our Rebbeim and Gedolim
Learning/teachers transmit a way of life and make you part of the mesora chain. Examples provided.
- Rabbi Yosef Eisen-New Kasharut Findings
All supervisions are not created equal! Issues include: Who’s watching the individual departments in the supermarket; Sushi; Pre-washed salads; and Bugs.
- Rabbi Yosef Eisen-New Kasharut Findings
Maybe start at R’Yishmael or have the prayer leader say shelo asani in a low voice.
- Rabbi Moshe Sokoloff-Wearing Tzitzes When It Is Very Hot & Issues When Going Swimming- Part 4
A new bracha is all about whether there was hesech hadaat. Examples provided.
- Rav Asher Weiss-לא תתגודדו
Practical application of lo titgodidu today—including your nusach tfila vs that of the community.
Interesting insights: How is a Kehilla defined today? Rambam/Rashi “reasons” for lo titgodidu (looks like two Torahs/machloket) don’t represent a fundamental disagreement (me – would Briskers agree?)
- Rabbi Yoni Mandelstam-Sheimos Nowadays: Not a Simple Matter
Can you recycle “sheimot” which were produced for temporary usage only?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz ,Rabbi Moshe Taub-8/7/21 – Shiur 333 – Is Kashrus just on the food? (the Ben & Jerry’s saga) – Reb Moshe Feinstein & Jackie Mason
Jackie Mason’s history with R’Moshe and why it’s hard to know whether kashrut organizations should be concerned with anything but kashrut.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Shmitta as a Lens into the Nature of Torah Law (Part 5)
Is tosefet shmita to “guard” shmita itself or is it based on an overflow of kedusha? Is the focus on the individual or the land? Remember that kedusha needs preparation (R’YBS).
- Rabbi Ya’akov Trump-War as an Ideal in the 21st Century
How our concept of war differs from crusaders and jihadists. (I’m not sure this would be convincing outside our circles). Bottom line—We submit to the will of HKB”H.
- Rabbi Shmuel Reichman-Tefillah: Why Daven if Hashem Already Knows What We Want?
Good summary of a number of approaches to the question of why we pray if HKB”H already knows what’s best for us.
- Rabbi Ezra Zafrani-Rambam Hilchot Teshuva Part 1
Part one of the basics of tshuva.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].