by Joel Rich
Bava Batra 164b quotes R’Sheshet as saying there are three sins “ein adam nitzol mehen bchol yom.” Sounds like free will can’t overcome?
Praying for one in excruciating pain to die has some halachic underpinning. Others suggest one simply pray for HKB”H to do what’s best for the individual. Why isn’t this what we should pray for in any situation?
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-מידה כנגד מידה
Tzaar balei chayim is a torah prohibition with some exceptions for human needs. Examples provided.
Money quote: You don’t have to do everything that’s permitted! (Kach mkublani mbeit avi abba.)
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-From the Rabbi’s Desk 1: Shailos in Yichud
Elaborate public marriage proposals probably are not consistent with a life of tzniut. (That’s my dry humor.)
Introduction to the laws of yichud through case study. Know the halacha but try to find work-arounds as needed.
- Rav Asher Weiss-מצוות התפילה
Rambam vs. Ramban concerning whether tfila is duraita. There are certain ratzon hashem items which may or may not be formal mitzvot (e.g., prayer, chinuch, yishuv eretz yisrael).
Tfila has both avoda and bakasha elements, R’Weiss holds that mitzvah of avoda is required to be done one time per day.
- Professor Smadar Rosensweig-The Trials of Iyov
Iyov is all about personal alienation from HKB”H. In the end we can’t understand details, only that HKB”H is with us in all circumstances.
- Q and A with Rabbi Rosner and Rabbi Lebowitz @CampKaylie 5781
Q&A including: Aliyah (yes); Regrets (I’ve had a few [HT – F. Sinatra] but just keep moving forward); Tfila (it’s all about the relationship); Tragedy (can’t point to a single source); Reishit tzmichat geulateinu (something is happening here [HT – Buffalo Springfield]); Chinuch crisis (caused by too much materialism); and Lessons my rebbi taught me.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Sleeping on Shabbos
Is sleeping on Shabbat a “mitzvah”? Some stay up all night learning, is that a good thing?
- Rabbi Pinny Rosenthal-Netflix’s My Unorthodox Life – Attack or wake up call?
Answers to how to best respond to questions concerning tzniut, kashrut and cult-like Judaism. We need to know more why we do what we do.
- Rabbi Moshe Sokoloff-Wearing Tzitzes When It Is Very Hot & Issues When Going Swimming
Wool vs. cotton – what’s the story? Interesting to hear how each side reinterprets the GRA in their own image. Worth some thought – are our tzitzit really begadim?
- Rabbi Ron Yitzchok Eisenman-The Psak Halacha Which Shook The Torah World
R’Goren was a genius but he blew the Langer mamzeirut case.
- Rav Asher Weiss-ונשמרתם מאוד לנפשותיכם
Safety is the Torah way (HT – Uncle Moishy). Safeguarding oneself in likely a Torah requirement with specifics defined by the Rabbis. Sakana (danger) isn’t a black and white definition and allowances are based on risk/reward analysis. Be careful bein hazmanim and don’t smoke.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Asmachta: The Gray Area Between Biblical and Rabbinic Law?
Asmachta might be a memory aid, a subterfuge to get people to take a rabbinic enactment seriously or an opportunity provided by HKB”H to the Rabbis to enact optional divine will provisions.
- Rabbi Jeremy Wieder-KJ’s Dr. William Major Memorial Advanced Shiur in Talmud with Rabbi Dr. Jeremy Wieder
Ongoing Talmud shiur topics include: Cohain/meit mitzvah; Akirat davar min hatorah; and decrease in passion for HKB”H.
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-The Importance of Iyun
Birchat hatorah reflects torah learning as our connection with, and our understanding of, HKB”H. Thus, learning biyun is important in accomplishing these in depth.
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-בל תגרע and בל תוסיף
Bal tosif and bal tigra are one in their message not to tamper with what HKB”H wants.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-תקשורת עם המתים
Trying to create an algorithm which explains all the seemingly contradictory sources on inter-world communications in tanach, talmud and sh”ut. (It ain’t easy – HT Three Dog Night.)
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-The History, Challenges & Obstacles of the Tanaaim
A brief introduction into the anshei knesset hagedola and the various challenges faced by the tannaim.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Is Eating Part of Religion? Eating to Survive and Eating to Enjoy
We eat to live and to realize that we’re totally dependent on HKB”H. Remember to demonstrate proper table manners.
- Rabbi Yisroel Kaminetsky-High School Relationships Between Boys and Girls
High school is a difficult time—the hormones rage! Do your best and try to minimize challenging situations.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-בלי עין הרע
Ayin ra means being stingy. Ayin hara is defined here (but sometimes they are confused). Learn here how to protect yourself (by acting appropriately), not by wearing a red bendel.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-לא רוצה להתחתן
When can or can’t you put yourself in harm’s way?
- Rabbi Shmuel Fuerst-Interesting Questions in Shidduchim
Shidduch issues include: Child of nida; Paying shadchanut to a non-ben brit; and Hashgacha and insights of the gedolim.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Am I a Kohein or a Mamzer?
Strange case of an individual whose mother never halachically wed any of her significant others (one of whom was a cohain who was his DNA father). AIUI he’s a cohain if you accept DNA evidence and testimony that mom never was with a non-ben brit and civil marriage doesn’t count.
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-From the Rabbi’s Desk 2: Shailos in Tevilah
Finishing up yichud (eidut lchatzi davar) and then on to mikvaot—stationary vs. moving waters and rain vs. other types of waters.
- Rabbi Yosef Greenfield,Mrs. Esty Greenberg.Rabbi Zecharia Greenwald,Rabbi Dr. Bentzion Twersky-7/24/21 – Shiur 331 – Are we preparing our children properly for marriage ? The Message of Tu B’Av
Divorce rates are on the rise, why? There are many external forces but good chinuch and counseling could help.
- Rabbi Allen Schwartz-The Literature of Tisha B’Av
What prayers we don’t say on tisha bav and why. How comparable are they to those forbidden to mourners (and Yom Kippur)?
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Tu B’Av – What’s It All About?
Review of the gemara in taanit which provides a number of possible reasons for celebrating tu bav.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Fascinating Hilchot Sukkah Questions
The essence of sukkah is that there be one building—the rest is commentary (which can be found here).
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-בעיות בפוריות
Pru urvu is an important mitzvah. Fertility issues and treatments can be the source of some complex halachic problems discussed here.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-תורה תמימה
Why don’t people observe the mitzvah of writing a sefer torah today? Expense? Is the mitzvah to write (or to learn) or to have? Nafka minas abound.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Necessary Lashon Hara: Toelet or Lo Taamod?
Is lashon hara (TBD) an issue of prohibition or midot? Is the chofetz chaim’s construct of toelet based on the assumption that it’s still lashon hara, while others would say it’s a positive duty of lo taamod.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].