by Joel Rich
The Shulchan Aruch (o”c 90:9,11) discusses the preference of davening in a shul. I sometimes daven mincha in a very large shul which has both an inside and an outside minyan. The outside one is much more popular and I wonder if folks are conscious of this S”A. Thoughts?
Could not many, if not most of the she’eylot have been easily answered by men of lesser stature? Must every be’atha be-cutha [small issue] be referred to gedolei ha-dor?R’ A Lichtenstein. Me – is it the Rabbis or the parishoners who cause this situation
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Moving a Body to a Different Grave
Nihugei aveilut and/or aninut on the day of moving bones/graves—Who does the moving and when?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Regaining What We Lost While Following Ratzon Hashem
We’ve lost much over covid times including torah and tfila; great people, and our sense of community. Even though we understand this to be the ratzon hashem, we still need to work to restore (me – the good parts of) our pre-covid avodah.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Rules of Psak Halacha – Part 2
When and why does a psak from one poseik become final for the shoel?
- Ari Wasserman, Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz,Rabbi Mayer Twersky,Rebbitzen Miriam Kosman,Rabbi Dovid Kaplan-6/19/21– Show 327 – Female Rabbis – A problem of Halacha, Mesorah or even worse
Don’t mess with the mesorah! Surprisingly, no one in favor of women Rabbis was interviewed.
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Parshas Chukas When Davening for Others, Must Names Be Mentioned?
Sources both ways on whether one must, should or must not use the name of the sick person when praying for them. Also, why do we use the mother’s name?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Chukas 5781
Parsha topics including: Para adumah; Chazal adding chumrot to offset their kulot (e.g., mayim shein bahem sof); Tumat meit (cherev kchalal, sof tuma latzeit); Milchamta shel Torah and; R’YBS on women’s learning.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Why Is Electricity Forbidden On Shabbat? (Agudat Yisrael)
Introduction to electricity on Shabbat – molid vs. boneh, with some detail concerning binyan bkeilim (or lack thereof).
- Parashat Chukat with Rav Dovid Gottlieb
Parsha topics including: What was Moshe’s “sin” at the rock?; Why is mitat tsaddikim mchaper?; Para adumah lessons; Why was the cure for the plague through snakes?; and do all mitzvot have reasons?
- Rabbi Tzvi Benoff-Rambam’s Hakdama to Mishnah (Part 6) – Mesorah and History: Who Wrote the Mishnah and Talmud?
The Rambam thought very highly of R’Yehuda Hanasi (as a role model?). There were two versions of R’Shrira’s letter—did R’Yehuda Hanasi write the mishna or simply systemize it?
- Rabbi Daniel Stein-Moshiach Ben Yosef and the Year 6000
While the gemara says not to calculate when moshiach will come, we seem to do so anyway. Maybe the year 6000, moshiach ben yosef and mchakei ketz are all related to moshiach coming as a process rather than as an event.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Hilchos Challah
Challa issues focusing on hafrasha including: Partnerships; Shaliach; Lo ba lolam; Zachin; Sheila; and Cohanim’s status today.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-How to Learn Halacha
When learning halacha one should make sure to go to the mkorot and read and analyze them carefully. Provides advice on specific sources to look at and one process to be sure you’re up to date. Key is to summarize what you concluded and why.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Inyanei Eretz Yisroel 5781
Eretz Yisrael is central and holy (holy and central?) in so many ways—listen here for details.
- Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik-Moshe as Agent, Bilam as Prophet
Explicating our relationship with HKB”H through: Why were Ten Commandments worded in the singular form?,The Tablets as instrument for betrothal of Hashem to Israel,Moshe as simultaneous agent of Hashem and agent of the people,Shelichus (agency) as central idea in Halachah,Adam and Eve’s mutual responsibility at the Tree of Knowledge,The Halachic problem of simultaneous agency (חזרה שליחות אצל הבעל),Bil’am as Prophet, Moshe as Agent
- Rabbanit Dena Rock – Shev Shemateta 101: An Introduction to Rabbinic Decision-Making- “The Power of One: עד אחד נאמן באיסור.”
Is eid echad neeman bissurin a din in eidut or neemanut?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Shmini 5781 #1
Parsha points including: Bhaima vs. chaya; Status of mixed marriage children; Mesora on meat; fowl and fish kashrut; Zebu; Tuna; Miyut hamatzui; and Miscellaneous Q&A.
- Rabbi Avi Heller. Shev Shemateta 101: An Introduction to Rabbinic Decision-Making- “The Concept of Status and Status Changes in Halacha.
Chazaka draba (boy age 13/girl age 12 are physically mature)—do we follow it both lchumra and lkula? Generally not, but why?
- Devorah Evron. Shev Shemateta 101: An Introduction to Rabbinic Decision-Making- “דפריש מרובא פריש כל and the Bride Who Had No Father.
Kol dparish—how do we define kavua? When are two majorities needed?
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-Kiddusha Rabba: Is it really Kiddush?
Is Shabbat morning “kiddush” really kiddush (as in being mkadeish the day) or something else (e.g., shira/meals must be associated with wine.)
- “Shtisel’s Shas: A Look At Shtisel’s Talmudic References and Their Significance.” Presented by Shai Secunda.
Analysis of various “frum” scriptural references and the show’s themes.
- Rabbi Steven Pruzansky-Controversies of the Chofetz Chaim
The Chofetz Chaim disagreed with the Malbim on response to the draft and with R’Y Salanter on tshuva in a case where the other party was unaware of the sin. Perhaps the reasons were technical or dependent on which party you prioritized.
- Avigail Gross Gelman. Shev Shemateta 101: An Introduction to Rabbinic Decision-Making-“Is Possession Nine Tenths of Jewish Law?”
Where does (do) chazaka (chazakot) get their power? How do they work? (birur vs. nihug). Why is chezkat mammon so strong?
- Dr. Ari Bergmann- “Scholarship and Politics in the Formation of the Talmud” [Me – which came first the agenda or the understanding of history?] What were the actual roles of Ravina, Rav Ashi, the Stama and the Saboraim? Was the Bavli a top down (as in here are the rules, it’s closed now) or a bottom up (collective voice of Clal Yisrael—it just petered out) effort.
- Rabbi Adler. Shev Shemateta 101: An Introduction to Rabbinic Decision-Making- ” ספק דאורייתא לחומרא” Oh Really?”
Challenges and responses to the Rambam’s position on safeik duraita lchumra.
- Rabbi Jonathan Muskat-Marijuana Use – Recreational, Medicinal, Kashrut Certification, Kitniyot and Comparison to Alcohol Use
Don’t smoke marijuana unless it’s needed for medicinal purposes. Kashrut agencies have to balance desire to have kosher sources with negative messaging.
How is it different from wine? Tradition!
- Rabbi Yehoshua Grunstein-R’ Yaakov Kamanetsky # 1 -Positive Cynicism, Individuality
First in a series. R’Yaakov was sharp, not cynical and an individualistic, original thinker.
- Core Conversations with Tova Warburg Sinesky
Frank discussion of physiology, pain and pelvic floor therapy.
- Dr. Ari Bergmann- “Dorot Harishonim’s Contribution to the History of the Talmud”
Dorot rishonim identified 4 stages of Talmudic development: 1.) Tanaitic teachings canonized, 2.) Abaye and Rava, collect all the streams of traditional teachings, 3.) Rav Ashi edits 4.) Post Rav Ashi. Focus now 1-3. Faces the question of whether the gemara is a top down or bottom up construction.
- Rav Asher Weiss-בית כנסת כמקדש מעט
Examples of halachic applications where rules for beit knesset/beit medrash are patterned after the beit mikdash.
- Len Moskowitz. “Mystical Foundations of Judaism Made Accessible: Rav Chaim Volozhiner’s Nefesh Ha-chaim in English
Introduction to the world of sod of the nefesh hachaim.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].