by Joel Rich
R’Dr. C. Soloveitchik – Collected Writings III
If halakhah is to regulate the office no less than the home, it must come to grips with an alien reality and give it recognition in its thinking. Both modern Orthodox and most chareidi communities have no need for any work on ‘Hoshen Mishpat’ similar to the Mishnah Berurah on ‘Orah Hayyim’, for halakhah stops at the office door. In their personal life they live lives of scrupulous religiosity; in their business affairs they live like pagans, by the law of the Gentiles. That they do so is understandable; less understandable are those who take their paganism as a mark of purity. Seder Nezikin exists for them as a beautiful world of theory not as a regulative system. One does not sully this pure world with the dross of daily affairs. Living in an open society in a modern democratic state, such a bifurcation between the public and private spheres is possible, and the force of ‘Hoshen Mishpat’ is entirely optional.
R’Dr. C. Soloveitchik -Angle of Deflection
To avoid a simplistic sociology of law, anyone claiming that a jurist’s through has been influenced by outside forces or inner ambiguities must be able to point to some obvious flaw in the thinker’s argument, measurable deflection from the expected line of reasoning that indicates that something impinged upon the mind of jurist and diverted his thought from its normal course.
I’ve thought this way but love the term!
- Rabbi Moshe Bloom 5 25 2021 Lecture on Kiddushat Sheviit
What food items can have kedushat shviit? Can they be used for non-conventional uses? (no) How are they to be disposed of? (with great care)>
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Shelach 5781 – Tzitzis and Challa
Parsha shiur focused on tcheilet. Bottom line – better not to wear tzitzit than to wear tzitzit without tcheilet!
- Hagaon Rav Shmuel Kamenetsky,Hagaon Rav Menachem Mendel Shafranm Hagaon Rav Dovid Cohen, Hagaon Rav Herschel SchachtermHagaon Rav Nissin Kaplan,Hagaon Rav David Yosef,Rabbi Bentzion Halberstam,Hagaon Rav Moshe Heineman, Rabbi Michoel Shlomo Bar-Ron-6/5/21– Show 325 – The great Techeilis debate – Hear the Shitos of the Gedolei Hador and Gedolei Haposkim
Tcheilet opinions span the gamut. (see R’HS above, to no way!)
- Rabbi Sammy Bergman-How Religious was the Rav’s Zionism?
R’YBS was a non-messianic Zionist
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Rav Moshe Feinstein and his Halachic Adversaries – Rav Soloveitchik and Women’s Torah Study
R’YBS and R’MF were relatives and shared a mutual respect. They differed on a number of issues including: Shabbat tooth brushing and ice making; Mechitza height; Secular studies; and Women’s learning.
- Parashat Shelach with Rav Dovid Gottlieb
Parsha insights including: Lessons from the comparison of Kalev vs Yehoshua; What was the sin of the spies?; Why is there a special reward for living in Israel?; Emunah lessons from Kalev/Yehoshua; and praying at kivrei tsaddikim.
- Rabbi Yoni Levin-Summer Time: The Importance of Exercise and Sports
Staying healthy is a mitzvah, participating in dangerous or cruel sports, not so much.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Not Stam The Kashrus Of Tefillin
Only buy stam from a reliable yrei shamayim. Some details discussed.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Live to Give-Give to Live
Our purpose in living is to give to others (be it $, a smile or acts of chesed.)
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Can a Settler be a Humanist?
The universalist destiny of the Jewish people can only played out in eretz yisrael.
- Rabbi Tzvi Benoff-Rambam’s Hakdama to Mishnah (Part 5) – Torah From Sinai: What Exactly Was Given?
Explaining the mechanics of halacha according to the Rambam including: Peirushim hamikubalim; Halacha Moshe msinai; Gzeirot; Takanot; and Why do we record minority opinions.
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff-Mishnei Halachot: Participating in Parties and Dinners of Gentiles and Other Interactions with Gentiles. A Gentile Woman Falls and Needs Help Getting Up. Explanation of Rav Menashe Klein’s Extremely Negative and Hostile View of Gentiles.
More on when interactions with non bnai brit are appropriate and when they are not. R’M Klein’s psakim were likely affected by his experiences during the holocaust.
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig,Rabbi Yehuda Turetsky-Through the Eyes of Our Rebbeim #4
Interview topics: (1) R’Rosenweig’s father (and mother and teachers) influence on him (great). (2) Exposure to other modes of thought (important) (3) Other contemporary voices (they exist) (4) Disappointment in talmidim (no) (5) Having fun with family (yes) (6) Changes in talmidim over the years (not much)
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Confronting Our Challenges With Emunah
HKB”H is sending us messages but are we listening? Are we connecting? Are we eagerly awaiting redemption? Belief kicks in when you don’t really know.
Me – at least some people are asking questions.
- Rabbi Yehuda Turetsky-The Basics of the Matnos Kehunah: The Relationship Between Kohanim and Leviim
Cohanim certainly have kedusha and thus received matanot but Leviim may either get matanot as compensation or because of kedusha.
- Rav Ezra Bick-Values in a Valueless Society
Western society is exclusively naturalistic and sociologically leaves no room for spiritual explanations. We do!
- Rabbi Ian Shaffer-To argue or not to argue-session #1
Debate is healthy if you want to get to the truth but you must know how to disagree in a positive manner.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Halachot of Making Tea on Shabbat
Concepts include: Kli rishon, sheini…; Irui; Bishul; Kalei bishul; Ein bishul acher bishul; Precooked teas; Essence; and Instant (It’s complex!)
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Technology Today: What Are The Goyim Saying?
Technology very very bad.
- Understanding Da’as Torah | Rav Mosheh Lichtenstein
Always ask a wise person’s advice in areas that they have sufficient knowledge. (Same as his father’s well known article – see here: http://www.zootorah.com/RationalistJudaism/DaatTorahLichtenstein.pdf
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Sichat Mussar for Korach: The Anatomy of Cynicism; Non-Violent Communication; Identity Erasing
Learn to detect demagoguery; work on your cynicism (to get rid of it ) and be kind to those who are challenged. Democracy is a positive but beware of moral relativism and opposition to individual community identity.
- Rav Asher Weiss-שליחות במצוות
As far as shlichut goes, there are three types of mitzvot – process based, results based and on having elements of both. Only the last two can be accomplished through shlichut.
- Rabbi Yona Reiss-From the Dayan’s Desk #71: Siddur Haget- Delivering a Get Through a Shaliach, Part 2
Shlichut bgittin can present problems, here are the solutions.
- Mrs. Michal Horowitz-An Honest & Necessary Exploration: Confronting Our Challenges With Technology
Technology – who is the servant and who is the master?
- Rabbi Asher Weiss-A Community’s Sincere Response to Suffering
When tragedy strikes it represents “HKB”H” calling out to us to do tshuva (each individual). Achdus is an important part of our tshuva.
- Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner-Korach’s Complaint and System Racism
Why was the response to korach one of education? He had a seemingly legitimate complaint in that “the system” had unintentional bias in favor of insiders, righteous and the learned.
- Rabbi Isaac Rice-Hazmana: How to RSVP to an Invitation from Beis Din
What are the rules of “invitation” to a bet din? Particular focus given to Rabbis being invited. (me – as in local vaad hakashrus?)
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-חשיבות של תורת הקבלה
Intro to kabala – even if it’s not your cup of tea, you should respect it as it’s about connection to HKB”H.
- Rabbi Yitzchok Berkowitz, Rabbi Shmuel Felder, Rabbi Gedaliah Oberlanderm,Hagaon Rav Reuven Feinstein,Rabbi Daniel Ahron Coren, Dini Weinberg-6/12/21– Show 326 – Lace Top Sheitels – Are They permissible?
If regular sheitels are OK, then lace ones are as well (me – some might say we’ve slipped all the way down that slope)
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Parshas Korach Are All Our Kohanim Today Really Kohanim?
Explaining today’s Cohanim muchzakim vs yesteryears Cohanim myuchasim, are there any practical differences today
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].