by Joel Rich
I wonder whether when Covid is past, will certain segments of orthodoxy view those who died as martyrs in support of the value of . . . (Talmud torah, simchat hachayim, fill in the blank?)
Diaries of Sir Moses and Lady Montefiore pg. 51-52
“You are my friend, my brother, the apple of my eye, take possession of it at once. This land I hold as an heirloom from my ancestors, I would not sell it to any person for thousands of pounds, but to you I give it without any money; it is yours, take possession of it.” … Ultimately, after a whole day’s most friendly argument, which almost exhausted all my stock of Arabic phraseology, he said to me: “you are mt [my] friend, my brother, by my beard, my head, I declare this is the case. Tell Sir Moses to give me a souvenir of 1,000 pounds sterling…” (Me – is 1,000 pounds sterling roughly equivalent to arba meot shekel kesef over lasocher?)
- Rabbi Doniel Neustadt-Agudah Convention Midwest 5779: Girls & Women In The Workplace
Money quote re: women in the workplace: “This is the situation that clal yisrael finds itself in.” (Me – as the LR told R’J Sacks—one doesn’t find oneself in situation, one puts oneself in a situation).
Hashkafic point. We must maintain a separation. Discussion includes boundaries, balance and proper business etiquette.
- Rabbi Steven Pruzansky-The Philistines’ Capture of the Aron Hakodesh
The aron (and any other object) is not a segula—only tshuva, tfila et al can save us, not an inanimate object.
- Rabbi Yona Reiss-From the Dayan’s Desk #64 – Tenants and Landlords Part 2
Generally schira lo kanya (renters don’t own) except for exclusive usage. Dina dmalchuta also plays a role in this determination. So, how does this work alongside mchirat chametz?
- Rabbi Jeremy Wieder-KJ’s Dr. William Major Memorial Advanced Shiur in Talmud with Rabbi Dr. Jeremy Wieder – Special Passover Class
There was a girsa in the gemara concerning a fifth cup at the seder. How would that have worked with birkat hamazon and hallel?
- Rabbi Yisroel Belsky ZTL-Shavuot
Sometimes we receive messages from HKB”H (top down) and sometimes we climb up (bottom up) to improve ourselves.
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-From מצרים to America- The Lessons of One גלות to Another
Geulat mitzrayim is a model for the future geula in that physical redemption is not an end in and of itself but rather a prerequisite for spiritual redemption. The same is true for any physical blessings we get in this world, we need use them for spiritual ends.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Pesach 2021 YCQ
Pesach related topics including: Unshalma—does saying take the place of any mitzvah?; Women and karban pesach; What must one give up to do an aseih vs. not to do a lo taaseh; Which karbanot must be eaten on ground level?; Brachot on karbanot—when and why? and; Aveilut on erev pesach.
- Rabbi Reuven Brand,Rabbi Efrem Goldberg,Rabbi Shay Schachter-Powerful Messages for Your Seder
See your story as part of the Jewish nation’s story, realize the power of speech and work on your connection with HKB”H.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Hilchot Tefillah: Mayim Achronim – Fingertips of shower
Mayim achronim—why (more than one reason) and the implications of the reasons. In general people are not as careful about this as they should be.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Money Nisayon: Curse or Brachah?
Money is not about doing what you want with it, it’s about doing what HKB”H wants you to do with it.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Review of Masechet Pesachim- Halacha l’Maaseh with Q&A
Pesach topics including: Ikkar and tafel by birchat hamitzvot; Charoset—why and how; Bracha on maaseh not kiyum; No bracha on zecher; Birchat hamitzva—is it a matir? Can it be over lasiyatan; Defining makom karov (implication for aveilut today); Erev Pesach burial after chatzot—when does aveilut start?; Kol dtakan kein duraita (based on it becoming a cheftza shel torah); Zecher vs. sippur; Shalosh seudot this year; and Karban Pesach bzman hazeh.
- Rabbi Herschel Welcher-Ask the Rav – Volume 34
Q&A including: Freezing liquids not subject to kavush kmvushal rules; Layer of tin foil doesn’t save kli from tvila; Lechem mishna—how old?; Can’t hear Kiddush well (say along); Koshering grates; Other streams of Judaism/Israel supreme court (very negative); Roasting defined; Shabbat rules (watch winding, bobby pins, gas flame going out; and Pesach (shiurim and grape juice use).
- Rabbi Herschel Welcher-Ask the Rav – Volume 33
Q&A including: Separate bracha on particular deserts; Grape juice status for four cups; Interruptions at the end of tfila; Hatmana cases; Kbolo cach polto koshering; Why red wine at the seder (it’s not about color); Writing songs from psukim and; When does an arch make two separate rooms.
- Rabbi Reuven Feinstein-Ahave, Yirah, and Bitachon in Hashem
Our reward is longer term. We can learn lessons in life from the avot. Doing mitzvot teaches us bitachon. Also covered—why we need to do hishtadlut.
- Rabbi Herschel Welcher-Ask the Rav – Volume 33
Q&A including; Correct siddur text; Dairy seudah; Reading megilla for one’s spouse; Pores mapa meal; Mishloach manot;Brachot on some foods; Banging for Haman; and When to drink on Purim.
- Rabbi Reuven Feinstein-Mesorah- Do We Have It, and the 49 Shaarei Tumah- How to Climb Out of It.
HKB”H has a plan, each of us have our role. How do we navigate our path, how do we become bnai torah?
- Dr. Moshe Sokolow-The Haftarot: How to Profit from the Prophets
Why is Shabbat Hagadol called by this name? (Earliest answer—long rabbinic drasha!) Who was Malachai and what is the message of the haftorah for his time and ours? (Physical and spiritual redemption.)
- Rabbi Reuven Feinstein- Hashem’s Master Plan- Past, Present, & Future!
Only a talmid can interpret the actions of his rebbi. We relate to the gedolim by being mvatel ourselves to them. Presentation includes thoughts on how to teach the mesorah to our children.
- Rabbi Doniel Neustadt-Agudah Convention 2016: Yarchei Kallah – ” Basar Shenitalem Min Ha’ayin”
We are generally lenient with basar hanitaleim min haayin unless there’s no explanation for the specific reality. We are concerned when a non-ben brit is a shaliach if there’s benefit to him for a switch.
- Rabbi Etan Schnall-Yaknahaz: Halacha and Hashkafa of the Neshama Yeseira
Do we get a neshama yteira on yom tov? Maybe the answer depends on how we understand the function of the neshama yteira. In any event, yom tov allows us to increase our spiritual connection with HKB”H.
- Rabbi Yisroel Reisman-“Mashiach Ben David” – Welcome Our New King
Last in the Divrei Hayamim series with a focus on Tzidkiyahu—was he righteous or not? How did he go wrong? Perhaps it was that he feared the people? Lesson learned—don’t say you can’t do it!
Then on to Rambam and Ramban on tchiyat hameitim.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Yomtov “Hachanah” Questions
Going from Shabbat to Yom Tov and v.v. can involve unique hachana issues. There are hachana and actual mlacha issues to be considered. Examples and exceptions discussed here (e.g., ambiguous actions, ribui shiurim).
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Taanis Tzibbur; Do and Donts
The prior “voluntary” nature of our three public churban fasts (excluding tisha bav) is responsible for their incomplete nature (e.g., not full day). Once you determine why this is the case, implications abound. (Me – one approach not mentioned—were they all originally like tisha bav or were there conceptual differences from the beginning?)
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Grandparents in Halacha
There are several sources in the Talmud concerning respect for grandparents—is it a separate requirement or a derivative from kavod av? A number of implications discussed. (I have a shiur with maareh mkomot.)
- Rav Asher Weiss-ברכה אחת על כמה מצוות
Examples of more than one mitzvah getting one bracha—can we adduce any general rules?
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Names in Halacha
Naming a child gives predispositions, much like mazal. Specifics discussed including changing names, unusual names, etc. Presumption was it’s up to father. (I thought mother gets first-bchziv?)
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Challenging Mazik Issues
When do we say adam hamazik is always responsible and when do we say it’s grama (causation) for which one is not liable (at least in early court)? Not so simple! Many examples provided.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Music in Halacha!
The Talmudic sources on listening to music are generally negative but unclear as to extent (all music, singing vs. instrumental, party vs. pub vs. home, live vs. Memorex.) Is the issue related to churban or general lifestyle? So why exactly are we so lenient? (I have maareh mkomot for my shiur on this topic.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Halachot of Tearing Kriah on the Kotel
Tearing on Kotel vs. Yerushalayim vs. Arei Yehuda: How do we define bchurbana today? Details on how, when and where to tear. Key point—it’s supposed to be reflective of our inner feeling! (I have maareh mkomot)
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Halachot of Wine for Kiddush and the 4 Cups
What “wines” (grape juice, color, mvushal, watered, spoiled, looked at by non-ben brit) are (lchatchila, bdieved) used for (Kiddush, four cups, havdala)?
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].