by Joel Rich
The human rights barrister and expert on coronavirus restrictions Adam Wagner said the advice had “hit the wrong tone”.
“It was really about getting around the rules rather than keeping to the rules because of the danger of the virus,” Me- Sounds similar to what I’ve heard from R’ Asher Weiss
R’ Asher Weiss mentioned at one of the Agudah shiurim that maybe one day he would give a shiur on why the Rama frequently said ein anu bkiin (vs the S”A) I’ve wondered about this for years and would love to hear his opinion. Anyone have any insights?
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Pesachim perek 1 shiur 41 (טומאת מת עכו”ם, מערים אדם על תבואתו ומכניסה במוץ שלה)
Discussion of: Status of tuma in a non-ben brit’s home; Status of a chaver; Agricultural produce; and Tevel/achilat keva/drabanan/duraita issues.
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-Purim That Falls on Erev Shabbos”What Should I do, Answers to All your Questions
Purim topics (with a focus on how Purim falling out on a Friday and Corona impact them): Parshat zachor, Purim seudah; Ending of Taanit Esther (eat & drink – what & when);and Matanot levyonim and shalach manot.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Making Gemara Exciting to a 21st Century Teenager
Tips on engaging high school students in Torah studies (me – not quite what one finds in AHS Y”D 246:26).
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Hilchos Geirus
Topics include: Karbanot; Out of order mila/tvila; Turning geirim away for our good and theirs; Kabalat ol malchut shamayim; Role of beit din/what must they see; Minors; and what if one can’t have mila?
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-למה נקרא מגילת אסתר אגרת – פורים וגאולת ישראל
Why the focus on the megilla as an iggeret? You must see it in the context of:
1. Jews in Shushan “celebrating” at the king’s party while their brothers were under attack while trying to rebuild in Jerusalem
2. Jews in Persia absorbing foreign culture
3. Empire built on official documents and distribution channels.
Esther’s iggeret was the first in Hebrew (to the “Hebrew” nation)
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-The ר״ן on Heseiba: Understanding Safek Derabanan Likula
Is safeik drabanan lkula a fundamentally different category (i.e., no reason to be stringent even if there’s no bother) or is it a leniency only to be used if needed?)
- Rabbi Sariel Malitzky-How Strong Is Your Arm? Throwing Candy Bags at a Bar Mitzvah and Aufruf
Throwing candy at a bar mitzvah boy—can we pattern this after Talmudic wedding related practices or is this one that should be avoided?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Mishpatim 5781
Parsha topics including, but not limited to: Women don’t come to beit din (beit din goes to them); Going (not) to secular court; Liability of dayan; Fetus life status; Kesef/shaveh kesef; Modeh bknas patur; Ketuvah – drabanan or duraita?; Peirot shivit/hefker; Hamotzi mchaveiro(and other general rules) logical or gzeirat hakatuv?; Machzit hashekel; and one sefer Torah/3 parshiyot to read issues.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Taking Ownership of My Parking Spot
Chicago has a community practice of putting objects in a parking spot you dug out to claim it (Passaic had this in 1973). Is this halachically approved and enforceable? Probably not but it might be mentchlich.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Terumah 5781
Parsha topics including, but not limited to: Which “religious objects” must be made from kosher animals; Shoe issues; Tfillin knots; Fish related transgressions; Purpose of mishkan (avodah vs. home for HKB”H); Facing Israel during prayer-duraita?; Kedushat beit haknesset-duraita?; How to convert part of the ezrat nashim; Tashmeshei kedusha vs. mitzvah; Parochet/chupah; Which way to face during prayer; and Amalek.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-The Mitzva to Destroy Amalek
Amalek vs. 7 nations? The former is a people and a philosophy (eternal?) we must defeat.
- Rabbi Tzvi Benoff-Scientific Progress in Jewish Thought (Part 1) – Edward Jenner & Adam 1: The Mandate of Scientific Progress
RYBS on Adam I – Majestic man seeking to partner in this world’s evolution (pun intended).
- Rabbi Yoni Levin-Saving a Non-Jew On Shabbos
Saving a non-ben brit on Shabbat—what changed from the time of the Chofetz Chaim to R’Moshe? (Me – was it them or us??)
- Rabbi Michoel Zylberman-From the Beth Din Files 3: The Converts of Shushan and Conversion for Ulterior Motives
Status of “good time” converts – after the fact? What are the requirements for a conversion court today and how does the make-up of the beit din inform on questioning its conversion in the future?
- Reb Yitzchok Frankfurter, Rabbi Hershel Schachter, Rabbi Lictenstein,Rabbi Ezra Rodkin-2/20/21 – Show 311 – Brisk : Reb Dovid Soloveitchik ZT”L
Reb Dovid Soloveichik’s life: Torah, Hashkafos and Hanhagos
Intellectual bio of R’D Soloveitchik and the Brisker Derech.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Rav Moshe Feinstein and His Halachic Adversaries – The Minchas Yitzchak and Mitzvos Through Microphones and Telephones
R’Moshe and the Chazon Ish against the world—is a phone (zoom) just as good as being there?
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Inyanei Zchirat Amalek and Parashat Zachor:
Are missing (i.e., not heard) words the same at the beginning (or the end) of the megilla as it is the middle? Can we draw any conclusions from the treatment of missing (i.e., not written) words in the megilla? Can we extend parallels to parshat zachor?)
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Pesachim perek 1 shiur 42 (מכניסה במוץ שלה, אכילת בהמה בטבל, טומאת כהן לקרוב נפל)
Part I – Tevel, achilat keva et al
Part II – If tevel is mutar bhanaah, why can’t I feed it to my animals?
Part III –When can a cohain be mtameih to a meit?
- Rabbi Yosef Greenwald-Everything & Anything about Purim Meshulash
Explanation of the seemingly random dates for the mitzvoth of Purim which we Yerushalmis experience this year.
- Rabbi Evan Hoffman-Religious Developments in American Judaism during the Interwar Period
History of US Reform, Conservative and Orthodox rabbinical schools in the early 20th century. Also included—endowed Jewish studies chairs at secular universities.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Aveilim and Bar Mitzvah Boys Leining Megillah
If a mourner is the best megilla reader available for the congregation, then he should read the megilla. If not, not.
Should a bar mitzvah boy read the megilla? It depends on whether it’s day or night/duraita drabbanan. (Not mentioned—till what age are we relying on chazaka d’raba? What if we know the boy has simanim?)
- Rabbi Reuven Brand-The Journalist and The Rav: Toward a Deep, Meaningful Experience of Judaism and Israel
The story of an attack (philosophically) on R’YBS’s position concerning the return to Zion based on an inaccurate interview. Most interesting (to me), his lamenting his inability to transmit the experiential component of Judaism to his talmidim.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Torah of HaRav Aharon Lichtenstein for Purim: How to Choose a Profession
R’Lichtenstein urged taking up a profession most needed by society (me – et chatai ani mazkir hayom).
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-Purim and Rabbinic Law
If rabbinic authority is derived from lo tasur then why doesn’t it have the force of duraita? Perhaps because of the interplay with the definition of bal tosif? Is there a difference between the force of rabbinic enactments to safeguard torah rules vs. new enactments (unrelated to specific torah rules)?
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-Eilu v-Eilu and Multiple Truths
Approaches to eilu v’eilu: 1.) Both are true even though incompatible 2.) One is true, the other helps us better clarify the real truth 3.) Quantum physics—as R’YBS said – “no law of the excluded middle.”
- Rav Asher Weiss-זמן הסעודה בפורים שחל בערב שבת
Purim on Friday in general and especially in Yerusalayim. Timing for Purim seudah in general—why don’t we do it in the morning??? Specific practices for Friday purim seudah reviewed. Is Friday megilla reading in Yerushalayim not bzmana/do you need a minyan to make a bracha? Zoom/telephone doesn’t work for hitztarfut for megilla reading.
- Dr. Malka Simkovich-An Introduction to the Apocrypha-1
First in a series. Discussion of Bayit Sheni time period—it wasn’t as sectarian as people think. The sects were primarily political with religious overtones. Judaism was a global religion.
- Rabbi Moshe Kurtz-Rav Nachum Rabinovich on Purim Revelry in Shul [Siach Nachum Series, Class #1]
What is the kedusha status of a multi-purpose room in a shul where one of the purposes is prayer/learning? What are the implications for its use?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Purim 2021 YCQ
Purim topics including: TSBP’s acceptance as a permanent brit; Seudah issues (Meat? Fish? Must wash?); Shalach manot tied to seudah; Why no mlacha on purim?; Haircuts/brit/funeral/hesped; and Purim meshulash.
- Rabbi Ezra Schwartz-Aveilus and the nature of simcha on Purim
What are the relative levels of simcha on Yom Tov, Shabbat and Purim? How do they inform on whether aveilut is observed? Perhaps (per R’YBS) there is no chiyuv simcha on the individual on Purim, only on the tzibbur.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].