by Joel Rich
For trolley enthusiasts: Reuvain (falls, jumps off from) the sixth floor balcony. As he passes by the fourth floor a bullet from Shimon’s fourth floor apartment is released (accidentally, just to let off steam, to kill Levi across the street) piercing Reuvain’s brain and destroying it. As Reuvain’s body passes the third floor and awning (which he and Shimon were aware/unaware of) (was open, is opened/before Reuvain reaches it) and breaks his fall. In each case what is the (secular, halachic) cause of death? What liability is cast on each participant?
Post-The Haredim acted properly band in this group they have created herd immunity for themselves. They are right getting their lives back to order. That is what the entire country should do, while protecting those with medical conditions.
Me-OK- just be clear that younger folks also die and you really haven’t a system for protecting the at risk. So in essence your asking some folks to die for (a perceived) greater good
There are a limited number of hours in the day. Economics is the study of the allocation of scarce resources to unlimited demand
How about the husband and wife sitting down and mapping out their priorities (joint and several) based on their understanding of the will of God for both of them and their family. Then allocate the time between them and repeat frequently.
- Rabbi Ari Kahn-התהליך מול התוצאה
First in a series – Is halacha consequentialist? Trolleyology anyone?
- Rabbi Ari Kahn-Introduction Euthanasia Ethics
R’Moshe, Dr. Koop and the Siamese twins. Analysis of how R’Moshe allowed the separation knowing that at least one twin would definitely die as a result.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Donating Years of Life
Sources pro and con concerning the ability to donate years of one’s life to another (probably not)
- Rabbi Dovid Miller-והסנה איננו אוכל: Defying the Laws of Thermodynamics
How does Jewish continuity defy entropy? Simple, HKB”H constantly infuses new energy into the system.
- Rabbi Sholom Fishbane,Rabbi Eli Gersten-1/9/21 – Show 305 – Kashrus – Where can you make a pitstop?
Kashrut issues concerning drinks at Starbucks and 7/11. Stay away from brewed Frappuccino. Don’t go in if a kosher store is available.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-The Order of the Parshiot in Tefillin
Rashi vs. Rabbeinu Tam tfillin defined and analyzed – how could such a difference of opinion have developed? Can archeology play a halachic role?
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Parshas Shemos Mesirah – May One Report People Who Violate Covid (and Other) Regulations?
Moser concepts discussed (life vs. $, warning needed? third party actions, after the fact). When is secular government involvement halachically allowed and/or required?
- Rabbi Chaim Eisenstein-The Nature of the Chiyuv of Simcha on Shabbos
Kabbalistically the simcha of Shabbat is one of heaven’s making (vs that of Yom Tov which we make). The message is we should be transformed on Shabbat and make time to be alone with HKB”H.
- Rabbi Moshe Kurtz-Rav Moshe Shternbuch on Taking Vaccines [Teshuvos V’Hanhagos Series, Class #1]
Review of R’ Sternbuch’s tshuva concerning vaccines (measles). Includes defining pikuach nefesh and can a school exclude unvaccinated students?
- Rabbi Dr. Jeffrey Woolf-ויסתר משה פניו- טוב עשה או לא טוב עשה
Moshe rabbeinu turned away from HKB”H’ s essence at the burning bush yet sought it after the golden calf. How do we understand this difference and which was the proper approach? How does this link up with searching for tamei hamitzvot (and philosophy in general)? Could seeking such essence be both a chova and a sakana?
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Pesachim perek 1 shiur 33 (הבודק צריך שיברך)
More on do we make a bracha on bdika because it’s the beginning of biur or an independent command?
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Minhagim Shiur(Rabbi Baruch Simon)- RCA SHIUR ABOUT MINHAGIM
Introduction to minhagim – are they community based or family based? Do we have such a thing as a kehilla?
- Rabbi Yehuda Turetsky-Searching for Truth and Challenging Authority: The Gra and Rav Chaim Soloveitchik
The Gra (certainty) and R’Chaim (doubt) both searched for truth but in different ways (me – I wonder how much was intellectually based and how much was personality based?)
- Rabbi Sammy Bergman-Provence- Creativity and Chaos: Intro and Rabbi Moshe HaDarshan
Provence (part of sfarad) was a hot bed of creativity and controversy (re: Tanach, Talmud, philosophy and secular studies). First in a series.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Calling an Adopted Child for an Aliyah
It’s a bit complex, especially if you know who the birth father is.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Are Pets Muktzah?
Pets are generally muktzeh.
- Rav Dovid Gottlieb-Parshat Shemot
(1) Understanding Moshe’s use of an Egyptian name (2) Messages of HKB”H telling Moshe to take off his shoes (3) If you’re not makir tov to people then you won’t be to HKB”H either (4) Be a nosei ol (5) Do you have to possibly endanger yourself to save another?
- Rav Asher Weiss-The Halakhic Status of a Fetus
R’Weiss trusts his halachic heart to allow terminating pregnancy to allow mom to have chemotherapy.
- Avi Tashman-Besamim Rosh
History of the (forged?) sefer bsamim rosh plus some example of its psak.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Overview of Kodshim (Part 1)
Introduction to kodshim including: Kodshei kodshim; Kodshei kalim; Kedushat mizbeach; Bedek habayit; Avodot; Mumim and much more.
- Rabbi Meir Gavriel Elbaz-Kashrut During COVID – What to Expect from a Kashrut/Mashgiach
Today you can’t rely on individuals for commercial kashrut and there are different levels of reliability at kashrut agencies. The best thing is to speak to people in the know and to the individual mashgiach.
- Rabbi Reuven Brand-Searching for Meaning: Pathways in Chassidus
Kabala/Chassidut can help you find meaning/bring HKB”H into your life. Don’t be afraid to take it on even if you weren’t born into it. (Me – Everyone has to find the right way home for themselves and for HKB”H)
- Rabbi Dani Schreiber-Verbal Agreements in Halacha: Can you take a better deal?
There’s a (big) difference between what’s legally required and what’s the right thing to do (Assur but not binding).
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Hilchos Gerus
Har Sinai as a paradigm for conversion requirements (accepting mitzvot, brit, mikveh, karban.) Details of process discussed (e.g. what if a ger chooses not to accept drabanans after the fact?)
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff-Mishnei Halakhot: Chanukah Lamps When Israeli Husband is in America; A Woman Reading Megillah For a Group of Women; Publishing the Seridai Aish’s Correspondence
R’Klein’s women’s “minyan” for reading megilla tshuva used as a jumping off point for an examination of R’YBS’s position. R’JJ Schachter’s role plus his article on facing the truth of history also discussed.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Hilchos Gittin
Differing levels of “daas” may be required in kiddushin, gittin and other transactions.
How much force can be used in a divorce situation? What are the details of text, writing, delivery et al?
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Mitzvas Chalitza
A brief history of whether there’s a preference for yibbum vs. chalitzah. Is chalitzah a matir or a mitzvah? What are the requirements for the shoe and for the beit din? Specific applications discussed.
- Rabbi Larry Rothwachs-Please Confirm Receipt: How Do I Know If My Prayers Have Been Answered?
The real purpose of prayer is to connect with HKB”H and change ourselves. Getting our perceived needs met is secondary.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-How Should Jews Engage in Politics?
HKB”H decides but we need to make our best efforts
- Rabbi Moshe Kurtz-Rav Moshe Shternbuch on Destroying Televisions [Teshuvos V’Hanhagos Series, Class #2]
Usually leave enforcement to beit din. There’s a trade-off between your short term exposure to less than optimal circumstance and the long term impact on others.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].