by Joel Rich
I was wondering whether r’ moshe would’ve said the same thing had he known the impact of koshering 10 pm slichot in the MO community
שו”ת אגרות משה אורח חיים חלק ב סימן קה
אך אם הוא באופן שא”א מחצות ולהלן ויתבטלו אותו הצבור מסליחות יש להתיר בגדר הוראת שעה גם מתחלה………………….
אבל צריך לפרסם ולהודיע שהוא רק הוראת שעה מפני הדחק רק בשנה זו ולשנה הבאה יאמרו סליחות בזמן.
Fun Fact – the abbreviation Alef Reish Peih (amar rav papa) appears twice in shas whereas the statement amar rav papa appears 702 times! Explanation? Interestingly the kitvei yad don’t have the abbreviation in either place.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Beracha on Food That You Don’t Like
Avoid the problem and eat something you like first. [Me – When in halachic history did the “avoid the problem” response become so prevalent?]
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Rabbi Voorhand Shiur: The international dateline on Shabbos
Review of the various opinions concerning defining the location of the international dateline for halachic purposes – covers both philosophy and application.
- Rav Asher Weiss-נקי יהיה לביתו שנה אחת
What are the rules of shanna rishona of marriage and do they apply today? Some interesting questions regarding: Can a wife waive her shanna rishona rights? Do we have true simcha today? Is the mitzvah on the individual or the government not to bother the individual?
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Pesachim perek 1 shiur 1 (למה תיקנו בדיקת חמץ)
Kick off of the new gemara zman at Gruss. Understanding the machloket of Rashi and Tosfot as to the why of bedika – avoiding b’al yeraeh or the concern that you’ll eat it? Is bittul the same as hefker? Is there a preference for bedika over bitul? Why don’t we destroy other prohibited items!
- Rabbi Eli Belizon-The Exemption of אונס Has Its Limitations
Remember you always have the possibility of tfila.
- Rabbi Shraga Kallus-Ma’aseh Shabbat 4 – Watching The Football Game After Shabbos
When (and why) do you have to wait after Shabbat for kdei sheyaasheh (as long as it would take to make) to benefit from something done on Shabbat?
- Rabbi Yitzchak Etshalom-Sefer Yonah and Its Inclusion in the Prophetic Canon
Sefer Yonah in its own way is completely a book of prophecy – the lessons of the stories therein are prophetic lessons.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Issur Melacha and Mitzvas Simcha for a Kallah During Sheva Berachos
What are the rules for a kala in her first week of marriage concerning simcha, mlacha and leaving the house alone? Is the reason for not leaving based on monarchal dignity or fear of mazikin?
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-Hakdama to Pesachim 1 – בדיקת חמץ
Introduction to mesechet Pesachim. Is bdika vs. bitul an issue based on the relative leniency or stringency (or mixed bag) of chameitz during the year vs. during Pesach?
- Rabbi Ari Kahn-וְאֵינוֹ לְפִי כְבוֹדוֹ
Is the rule of not involving oneself with an aveidah(lost object) due to one’s status (eino lfi kvodo) a function of the gavra (person) or the cheftza (item)? Is one prohibited or just not required to involve himself?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Panim Chadashos Who Were At the Wedding
(1) The poskim define the panim chadashot (new faces) needed for sheva brachot differently (e.g. requiring one who is adding joy, didn’t hear the brachot and/or didn’t eat at the seudah).
(2) What is the nature of birchat erusin and what type of talking might be considered an interruption?
- Rabbi Mordechai I. Willig-Real Life Conflicts and Tefillah B’Tzibbur
How should one navigate the tension between tfila btzibbur, work, classes, dates and vacations? If you must miss minyan, try to daven at the same time as the tzibbur and a bit more slowly (with proper intent) than you usually do.
- Senator Joe Liberman,Rabbi Emanuel Feldman, Rabbi Hillel Goldberg,Rabbi Yitzchok Feldheim8/29/20 – Show 287 – What happens if the Democrats win
Risk/Reward is a subjective analysis as in Trump vs. Biden.
- Rabbi Ally Ehrman-Midvar Sheker Tirchak – When Does It Apply?
Perhaps mdvar sheker tirchak (stay away from untruths) is a general rule which is modified on occasion by other more specific rules.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring -Rav Asher Weiss: Teshuva for Causing Someone’s Death from Corona
When someone dies, even if one is tangentially involved in the death, the one involved needs to be sensitive to it and a kapara (atonement) for him may be indicated.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Some Lomdus on SelichotI
What’s behind the recorded minhag (I haven’t seen it practiced) that whoever leads slichot should lead all the day’s davening? R’YBS thought it was patterned after neilah as inclusive of other prayers; Others suggested it was based on the cohain gadol doing all the avodah on yom kippur.
- Mrs. Penina Bernstein-Mizmor 27: Our Hopes for Elul & Beyond
HKB”H is always there for us and we should have emunah and seek to constantly be in his presence.
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Issur veheter 1 (Introduction to Basar Bechalav))
Introduction to the new Gruss practical halacha season. What is the relationship between the prohibitions of cooking, eating and/or benefitting from basar v’chalav? What are the implications of this relationship?
- Rabbi Moshe Kurtz-Theology & Theodicy: Studies in Ramban’s Sha’ar HaGemuel – Class #8: Do Non-Jews Go to Heaven?
The whole discussion of olam haba is very complex!
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Teshuva Lecture: Trusting G-d Prior to Sin; Finding Him After Sin
Even if we don’t always succeed in carrying out our intended tshuva, HKB”H judges us based on our intent at that time. He also promises a reboot of our relationship (to pre-sin closeness) and pray along with us, as do those no longer here (me-the arrow of time is not a one way arrow in the Jewish experience).
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Pesachim perek 1 shiur 2 (בדיקת חמץ)
Ongoing Talmud shiur. More practical differences between Rashi and Tosfot’s reasons for bdikah. Then on to the question of whether both bittul and bdikah get you out of b’al yeraeh?
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Pesachim 5781 (3): Mincha Katanah or Mincha Gedolah
After which mincha shouldn’t we be eating pre-holiday?
- Rabbi Yehuda Turetsky-Rav Steinsaltz on Teshuva: Become a Bigger Person
R’Steinsaltz’s roles in tshuva included making texts accessible (especially tshuva related) and providing practical guides to tshuva. He was controversial (me-he didn’t toe the party line?) and creative. He wanted his students to be creative, not chassadim of his [me-Sounds like someone else I’ve studied!?]. The best tshuva is to have what corporate America used to call BHAG’s.
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-Teshuvah and the Mitzvah of Happiness
Positive accomplishments can be a tool in the tshuva process. Whatever works towards long term tshuva goals (which are the source of true simcha [joy]) is good.
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff-Yom Tov Sheini Revisited
Some biographical info on R’Menashe Klein (and R’Rakeffett), then on to proper practices on yom tov sheini in and out of Israel. [Me-R’ARR has some strong opinions]
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-The Laws of Erev Rosh Hashanah
Erev Rosh Hashana practices including: Fasting; Mikveh; Visiting the cemetery; Hatarat nedarim; No shofar blowing and being greatful.
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Issur Veheter 2 (87:1-3)
How is bishul defined for basar b’chalav purposes? (Me – wouldn’t it be nice if the definition were consistent across all halachic categories). What combinations of meats and milks are prohibited (and for what use)?
Interesting discussion of fish/meat/milk danger issues. Also of note – when does maarit ayin come into play (duraita vs drabanan; bfarhesia vs. btzina; common usage)?
- Rabbi Pinny Rosenthal-Did the Rabbi answer the question?
Thoughts on kan tzipor lessons.
- Rabbi Larry Rothwachs-From Low Spirits to High Holidays: Anxiously Awaiting 5781
In hard times Ezra had people looking to the future. We should do the same and realize it’s all dependent on our individual prayers.
- Rabbi Ari Shvat (Chwat)-Rav Kook on: Superstition & Other Spritual Problems
Asceticism doesn’t work in our times. Don’t be afraid (or superstitious) – remember ein od mlvado (It’s all HKB”H).
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].