by Joel Rich
I do know that many folks resonate to the type of uplifting thoughts you, some of us however might find the following of value
Our job is to play the cards we’re dealt (whether we find them attractive or not)consistent with our understanding of what HKB”H wants of us. We are part of the eternal people who will be judged individually and collectively based on our ability to do. Full Stop
Babylonian’s numerical system often had multiples of 60 (anshei knesset hagedola!?)
- Rabbi R Ziegler-Approaching Times of Crisis
Brief R’YBS bio, then on to dealing with evil. While the Rambam said evil doesn’t truly exist, R’YBS disagreed, especially on a practical basis (it doesn’t help anyone’s suffering to say it doesn’t exist). We ask how we should respond, not why it happened. Examples provided. Key question – What is my mission?
- Dr. Kenneth Seeskin-Searching for a Distant G-d: The Legacy of Maimonides
The Rambam thought Judaism is primarily a system of thought focusing on recognizing how totally unique HKB”H is. Sometimes we are too “familiar” with HKB”H.
- Conversation with Rav Ezra Bick #4 Judaism and Modernity
The last 200 years of western liberal society has focused on the individual (too much). There’s a trade off with our responsibilities to fulfill our obligations to the community (within our unique individual destinies)
- Rav Asher Weiss-אחזוקי איסורא לא מחזקינן
Sources, scope and applications of achzukei lo machzikinan (we don’t assume there’s a problem if no reason to). Bonus – it’s ok to daven shmoneh esrai with a mask on.
- Rabbi Michael Rosensweig-Shitas HaRambam on Tefila Part 2
Rambam vs Ramban on tfila – it’s all about aspirational avodat hashem
- Rabbi Joshua Hess-Journey Through the Siddur: Kaddish Derabonon
History of kaddish and differing interpretations of the texts.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-The Radicals: How to Eliminate Anger and Arrogance
True humility can be attained by experiencing a constant encounter with HKB”H and showing care and respect for others. R’Lichtenstein as a paradigm.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Considerations in Buying/Writing a Sefer Torah Part 2
Hiddurim in writing a sefer torah.
- Rabbi Ari Kahn-Authenticity
Comparing the Yaakov/Esav encounters with Moshe at the rock vs encountering local nations. Lesson learned – know who you are.
- Mrs. Emma Katz-a Day at Puah: a Halachic Insight into the Daily Questions of Infertility,Intimacy, and Genetics
Excellent review of fertility issues and halachic responses. One out of seven couples has fertility issues.
- Rabbi Tzvi Benoff-Die Like a Man, Like Your Brother Did: The Cultural Legacy of Shepherds in Scotland, Ireland, and Israel
Exposition of revadim (layers) method of learning Talmud.
- Rabbi Dr. Pinchas Hayman-From Text To Tradition: How Our Ancestors Really Learned Talmud
Judaism is both a lineage and a religion. Rachamim, bayshanim and gomlei chassadim are all cultural legacies from the Avot.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Mamzerus, Vaccine Development on Shabbos
Review of specific mamzeirut issues and a possible lineage solution. Some practical advice on how to deal with lineage in shiduchim
R’A Weiss on violating Shabbat to do corona research (don’t, here’s why)
- Rabbi Chaim Steinmetz, Rabbi Sender Zeyv Goldberg -6/27/20 – Show 278 – Slavery and Racism – The Torah view Why and in what circumstances did the Torah permit slavery? Is the Torah pro-slavery? What’s the Torah’s Hashkafa? Frum history of slave ownership, and more.
Racism is antithetical to Judaism. Slavery existed, so did polygamy…..(you get the drift)
- Yisroel Meir Fremes-OREO: What does “Dairy Equipment” Status Mean? (MSJC Erve Shabbos Shiur)
Explaining nat bar nat l’heteira
- RABBI BINNY FREEDMAN-HILCHOT DEOT OF THE RAMBAM-class 1
First in a series to gap year students. Before halacha comes character, we all must work on it.
- Professor Asa Kasher-For the Sake of Heaven: The Religious Philosophy of Yeshayahu Leibowitz (Renewing Our Spirit 2014)
Is the requirement for zimun duraita or drabannan? Should you stand for a zimun of 10 (is it a davar shebikidusha)? What is birchat hazimun? Who can/should join together for a zimmun?
- Rabbi Dr. David Shabtai-Why Judaism? Sefer ha-Kuzari: Introduction (Part 1)
Introduction to a series on the kuzari. Here’s some background plus an explanation as to why we are first introduced to the philosopher et al (explains who we are not)
- Rabbi Daniel Hartstein-Making Camps ‘Bungalows’ & Free School Lunch: Defining Kiddush Hashem
Kiddush hashem is very important.
- HaRav Asher Weiss-בדין אמן על הברכות
Saying amen is probably drabannan. Saying baruch hu baruch shmo is probably not really a hefsek. What does it mean that saying amen makes it as if you made the bracha?
- HaRav Chanoch Posey-ברכת המצות
Do you answer amen to a bracha made by a non-ben brit? Is answering amen considered a hefseik? Specific situations considered.
- HaRav Yisroel Perlow-עיונים בברכת המצות
Chazal enacted brachot as part or the tzurat hamitzvah (integral to the mitzvah) not a separate chiyuv hagavrah (personal requirement). Application explored.
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff-Barricini Vs Bartons, World War III
Centralizing kashrut supervision – RCA/OU trials and tribulations in the 50’s & 60’s
- Rabbi Chayim Soloveichik-Bracha on Cake
Pot haba bkisnin in theory and in practice.
- Rabbi Ya’akov Trump-Getting to 613 – An Introduction
613 mitzvoth-really? Approaches of various monei hamitzvot and meaning of aseh vs. lo taaseh
- HaRav Yosef Elefant-עובר לעשיתן בברכת המצות
The general rule is we make brachot over l’asiyatan (before the act). Lomdus on lulav (seems exception but perhaps naanuim), birchat hanehenin vs. tfila and dichui as a factor in brachot.
- Naomi Seidman-What Was Bais Yaakov? Five Ways of Looking at a Revolution (Part 3)
Cuts off in the middle but discusses Bais Yaakov in Europe as a baal tshuva movement (for girls who were on their way OTD). There were also Yiddishists and Socialists mixed in!
- Naomi Seidman- Bais Yaakov Then and Now (Part 4)
Bais Yaakov spreads from DP camps to other countries – some interesting history. Over time it decentralized authority and also switched from encouraging girls learning as an ends to a means to support the male learning society.
- Rav Jonathan Ziring -The Process of Pesak Halacha 31: Principles that Affect the Legislation and Adjudication of Halacha: The Case of Monetary Loss
Hefsed merubah was sometimes part of Chazal’s original formulations and sometimes part of later poskim’s psakim. Sometimes we rely on the minority and sometimes we just don’t look for chumras.
- Rabbi Yehoshua Grunstein-CHECK or just RELY?
When don’t we check a status (eg Shechita) but rely on rov/chazakah? Opinions vary – Perhaps it’s when there’s a bracha involved? a non-sizable minority? a man made object? too much trouble? low probability?
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].