by Joel Rich
Is there an Israeli (law) equivalent to the Agudah/RCA halachic living will?
From someone’s post:
A tenet of our belief is that the Torah is unchanging; the oft-repeated adage, ‘we do not adapt the Torah to the times, we adapt the times to the Torah’ is our creed.
Perhaps your next piece might be on how this tenet is being reflected in an age of rampant materialism and focus on the rights of the individual (vs. communal obligation)
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Eruvin 362-4
Gaps in a mechitza – some specifics on relative measurements
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Sunbathing, Reagent Strips & Sippy Cups on Shabbos
Defining prohibited tzoveah on Shabbat (coloring) isn’t so easy – does it include chemical reactions? Standing in the sun?
Interesting question – is niche lei (you want the result) determined by general usage or the specific occurrence at hand.
- Dr. Malka Simkovich-From Homeric Hero to Fallible Pharisee: Descriptions of G-d in early Judaism
Chazal originally viewed HKB”H and Moshe as examples of Homeric perfection but then became more human/personal in the rabbinic period. At the same time the Torah became viewed as more universal. Perhaps this all was to give meaning to suffering?
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-פיוט שלום עליכם
The whole Shalom Aleichem thing – which angels are we talking to? Can you really say goodbye (HT – The Jackson 5) to angels? How many times should you say it? Can you ask for brachot from angels?
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-מאכלות אסורים
Is timtum haleiv (spiritual hardening of the arteries) due to eating forbidden foods caused by the effect of sin or the nature of the food? Is the timtum of a spiritual or natural cause?
R’Eliyahu would prefer a reliable individual shochet’s product over any institutional hechsher!
- Rabbi Mayer E. Twersky-V’Ahavta L’Reyecha Kamocha and Judging Others Favorably
You need to treat and judge others favorably – both for improving your own ethical characteristics and your brothers’ dignity.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-לימוד קבלה
Is everyone (in their current gilgul [incarnation]) cut out (or destined) to learn Kabbalah? How do you know what your individual tikkun (fix) is in your current gilgul?
- Rav Asher Weiss-Hataras Nedarim
Does hatarat nedarim (nullification of vows) work retroactively (l’maphrea)? What exactly does R’Chaim mean that it works retroactively from here on in? Is this a generally applicable concept? Does it impact both Torah and Rabbinic law?
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-גניבת חידושי תורה
Is stealing divrei torah (by not quoting the source) really stealing, gneivat daat, sheker, lo tasig, none or all of the above? (me – or just plain wrong?)
- Rabbi Yonah Gross-Does A ‘Hanhaga Tova’ Become a Neder? – Halacha from Bamidbar Chapter 30
If you “accepted” a positive practice, under what circumstances can you drop it? It may depend on how premeditated and committed your acceptance was and how permanent the desired drop is.
- Rabbi Ezra Schwartz-Halachic Men Season V Episode V: Rambam Use of Yerushalmi and Philosophy in Psak
Why did the Rambam use the Yerushalmi as a source of psak? Did the Rambam have multiple personalities (Poseik, Dr., Philosopher or a single unified one)
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-שיחה לפרשת מסעי- הרללונטיות של התורה ה”נצחית”
Torah is eternally relevant
- Rabbi Yona Reiss-The Halakhic Pre-Nuptial Agreement: the Ins and the Outs
History of Prenups and how the current versions answer possible objections.
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Horayot 14 (אין מיתה בציבור, כהנים ושבט לוי)
Tzibbur is more than a large shutfut (partnership). Can sacrifices be an atonement for the dead? Are Cohanim or Leviim considered a kahal?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Mourning, Remembering, and Reliving the Mikdash
Our activities that are zecher l’mikdash may be mourning related but may also have a measure of optimism for the future.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Oneg Shabbos and Sleeping on Shabbos
Is oneg Shabbat defined by specific actions or subjective definitions. Is it a Torah or Rabbinic requirement? Sleeping/eating as examples of possible oneg.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Eruvin 362-5
Introduction to tzurat hapetach (doorway figure) as an eruv concept.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-שידוכים לבעלי תשובה
There are arguments to be made to not marrying a b’aal tshuva but they can be countered.
- Rabbi Dovid Gottlieb-“Ha-Omer Davar B’Shem Omro” – Bringing the Geulah 1 Quote at a Time
Sources concerning the halachic importance of attribution of sources
- Clips from Gedolei Yisroel ,Rabbi Yissachar Dov Lederman, Rabbi Chaim Daffin-8/3/19 Maran Harav Shach and the Lubavitcher Rebbe: 30 years later understanding their Hashkafik and Halachic differences,Are they still relevant? Have things changed? Would they still hold their positions today?
R’Shach, the Rebbi and R’A Kotler. Some interesting insights on their world views and the status of Lubavitch today, interesting differentiations between Israel and Ch”ul, defining gedolim and why personality matters.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-חגיגת יום הולדת
Various explanations concerning why Cohanim visit the graves of the righteous. Maybe tumah (ritual impurity) only occurs when the angel of death is involved but not when you are dealt with directly by HKB”H.
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Parshas Matos-Massei Must One Love Every Fellow Jew
In theory you can hate a sinner (sin?) but today given our inability to properly reproach, love is all you need (HT-The Beatles)
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-חודש כסלו – בענין צדקה ודמי חנוכה
The tzedaka you give is the only money that’s really yours! We are way too materialistic.
- Rabbi Dr. Dvir Ginsberg-Understanding the Prohibition of Learning on Tisha B’Av
Not learning on Tisha B’av is unlike not learning during personal aveilut. It’s more a rule in the day than in the person. The Rambam thought it more for Talmidei Chachamim than for the masses.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-חשיבות מצוות דרבנן
It’s very important to listen to the Rabbis!
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu- הלכות נופש – חלק א’ | ביהכנ”ס משכן יהודה
Going to a hotel for a vacation presents kashrut, tzniut and commercial halachic issues.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu- ט׳ באב – מי הם הראויים להתאבל על ירושלים | יזדים תשע״ח
When halachaists use the term Yirei Shamayim (those who fear heaven) who do they have in mind? Remember that HKB”H judges based on the ROI you provide him, not on total, unadjusted return.
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu- מצוות ישוב ארץ ישראל | ביהכנ”ס משכן יהודה
Rambam/Ramban on whether yishuv eretz yisrael is a mitzvah. When can you leave? (me – cue Hotel California you can check out any time you want, you can never leave).
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-ארבעה חשובין כמת 2
Continuation of a series concerning how literally to take the Talmud’s seemingly aggadic statements such as some declaring an ani (poor person-TBD) is “kmeit” (like dead). Focus on a tshuva of the Dor Rev
- Rabbi Meir Eliyahu-תלמוד תורה לגויים | יזדים
Teaching Torah (TBD) to ovdei avodah zara (TBD) is generally forbidden but there may be exceptions. So what’s the story with Artscroll?
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].