by Joel Rich
Reality check on the resources we have available vs. yesteryear – The Minchat Chinuch in mitzvah 65 says “usefer hamitzvot l’harambam eino tachat yadi ke’it” (he didn’t have access to The Rambam’s sefer hamitzvot at that point.)
Part of an occasional list of my all-time favorite movies fit for a Torah blog:
Chariots of Fire (Not for Harold Abrahams but for Eric Liddell)
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-The Impact of Hashkafa on Halacha Part 3 – Chazal, Torah and Science
Worth listening to at least the first two minutes as R’Lebowitz clarifies his approach and that of R.Schachter. He then looks at hashkafic approaches to Torah and science, Torah and Kabbalah and Torah and psychology (Halachic presumptions concerning human actions)
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-=Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Eruvin 354-1
Under what circumstances can you draw on Shabbat from a well next to your window?
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-=Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Eruvin 355-1
What about drawing from a mirpeset(porch)? When can you toss refuse into a nearby garbage heap in similar circumstances?
- Guest Hosted by Ari Wasserman, Rabbi Asher Weiss, Rabbi Yonason Sacks , Dr. Rivka Schwartz ,Mrs. Elisheva Liss , Mrs. Miriam Brilleman ,Rabbi Yissocher Frand-6/15/19 Challenges faced by women in the workplace
Nivul Peh, social events, unwanted touching and conversation, and many other challenges discussed
One (me-not just women) needs to balance many conflicting priorities in life. You need a poseik who understands the workplace. Some interesting insights on Human Resources and (unrelated) marital infidelity. (me-I think a guide at your side can be more valuable than a sage on the stage because each situation can be really unique and you really need to know the territory. HT-Meredith Wilson [The Music Man])
- Rabbi Shmuel Lesher-Dan’s Deals Or Dan’s Steals – Fraud and Deceit in the Contemporary Market+
Taking advantage of online sellers mistakes – is gneivat da’at an issue of stealing or general falsehood? What are the implications of this question for specific circumstances?
- Rabbi Elchanan Poupko-The Greatest Controversies in Jewish History Explained: Beit Hillel Vs. Beit Shammai
This shiur primarily reviews the Talmudic stories involving Hillel and Shamai.
- Rabbi Ya’akov Trump-Blowing the Horns of Distress: Dealing with Trouble Then and Now
Why don’t we blow the chatzotrot in times of trouble? (HT-The Beatles) The practice may be reappearing now in Eretz Yisrael.
- Rabbi Aryeh Cohen-Thank You Hashem For Sending Me To The Hospital for Shavuos
Getting a sudden serious illness reminds us to appreciate everything (and everybody) we have.
- Rabbi Dani Schreiber-Discussing Judaism’s Biggest Questions: Lab Grown Meat – Part 1
A general background on current efforts to generate meat from animal cells and how the kashrut status of such meat would be determined. It’s not simple!
- Rabbi Yehuda Turetsky-How to Wait for Mashiach: The Chofetz Chaim and the Lubavitcher Rebbe
We all know that tzipita l’yeshua (awaiting messiah) is fundamental. Both the Chofetz Chaim and the Lubavitcher Rebbi agree it’s critical to actively prepare for him but focus on different types of preparation.
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Horiyot 1
New Brisker lomdus season starring mesechet Horiyot. What is the nature of horaah (truth or process)? Which bet din can you (or beit din) rely on? What is the status of a mistake in mtziut (fact)?
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-“סיפורים” של הרב עמיטל #1 – החולצה הלבנה
R’Amital had a white shirt that he would briefly put on erev shabbat in the concentration camp to greet Shabbat. Sometime we need to infuse a lot of holiness into a short time period or item due to extenuating circumstances.
- Rabbi Eitan Bendavid -Philosophy and Poetry of Rabbi Yehuda Halevi
Biography of R’Yehuda Halevi along with some insights into the Kuzari.
- Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner-Is Everyone Jewish in the Time of Mashiach
There are sources in multiple directions as to what ymot hamashiach/tchiyat hameitim will look like religiously. We should focus on perfecting the world.
- Rabbi Yehoshua Grunstein-Quoting ME in YOUR name- Robbery or…just inappropriate?
Is not attributing statements/knowledge to their original sources considered stealing or just bad form?
- Rabbi A. Union: “Issues in Jewish Divorce
General review of gittin today including pre-nups and fraudulent batei din.
- Rabbi Efrem Goldberg-Beha’alosecha: Praying for the Sick is Not a Favor, It is a Duty
Running commentary of parshat bhaalotcha including: Ner Tamid, 7 branches of the menorah, Singing in adversity, Shiflut/gadlut( lowliness/grandeur) and much more.
- Q & A Session with Harav Michel Twerski at KSY in Beit Shemesh
Q&A session for Baalei Tshuva (IIUC) including: How to be b’simcha (happy); How to respond to the question, “why are you doing X if you don’t know the reason for it?; Why aren’t chassidim (in general) more in outreach mode?; Issues for baalei tshuva in marriage/family; and Were lifespans really that long in biblical times?
- Rabbi Nosson Rich–Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Eruvin 355-2
What are the rules for pouring water from a boat or from directly above the water on Shabbat?
- R’Willig Q&A
Lots of Q&A including: You can’t point to the specific existential cause of tragedies; Deciding on surgery; Relative importance of aliyah; Principles of changing halacha; LGBT and orthodoxy; Dinosaurs; Shinayim mikra vs. daf yomi; Why isn’t shir shel yom in karbanot; MO’s problems and much more.
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Horayot 2 (נתחלף)
Continuation of Horiyot shiurim. Does beit din create halacha or clarify it? How do we look at the psak of a future beit din in terms of it binding us today?(me-more space/time continuum)
- Rabbi Shlomo Landau-Can One Sin to Save Another Jew From a Greater Sin?
Seeming contradiction between sources as to whether one can sin to prevent another from sinning. What are the halacha implications of resolving the contradiction?
- Rabbi Azarya Berzon-Is Israeli Law Halachically Valid?
Israeli law may have halachic status based on: 1) King’s law 2) Dina d’malchuta 3) Takanat hakahal (community regulations) 4) minhag mkubal (accepted practice).
Democracy’s in one way antithetical to our philosophy (egocentric vs HKB’Hcentric) yet can be integrated as a powerful subsidiary value
- Rabbi H. Reichman: “Consistency vs. Variation
We must realize we are nothing and have no control and this will have a positive impact on our prayer, learning and marriages.
- Rabbi Anthony Manning-Ruach Ra
How do kabbalah and halacha interact? What are the specific applications re: handwashing and why aren’t many careful about it today?
- Rabbi Ezra Schwartz-Overview of Hafrashat Challa
How to be mafrish challah.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich–Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Eruvin 355-3
Before indoor plumbing, how was bodily waste disposed of thoughtfully? Kavod habriyot is an important priority
- Rabbi Elchanan Poupko-The Prushim Vs. the Tzedukim
The existence of the Tziddukim were a direct result of the (Hashmonaim taking the kingship for themselves). This presentation includes a history of the Perushim, Tziddukim and other sects.
- Rabbi Azarya Berzon-How and when to validate the conversion of a Beit Din?
Geirut today – given that we no longer have karbanot (sacrifice) and smuchin (real ordination), how do we have conversions? Includes much technical discussion.
- Rabbi Shmuel Lesher-Is Judaism Rational or Ritual?
How do we rationalize Chazal’s positions concerning spontaneous generation and the medical need for metzitzah b’peh?
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].