by Joel Rich
Take a look at S”A O”C 441 (1 & 2) where there’s a loan/surety situation over Pesach between a ben brit and non ben brit where the whole space/time continuum thing is in play (the agreement is the surety belongs to the lender as of the date of the loan [prior to Pesach] if, and only if, the repayment is not made on the due date [during or after Pesach]). While the S”A seems straightforward (me – compare to the quantum physics/double slit once there is an observer) the M”B quotes a number of commentaries who seem unsure. Perhaps Chametz/Pesach is different but it seems an undetermined state is a challenge halachically (me – are bein hashmasot and koy chiddushim or paradigms?)
Questions: Kiddushin 73b states we believe the midwife to tell us which twin came out first. The Ran on the Rif on Kiddushin 31a states a midwife’s credibility is not “mdin” (from the law) but the Rabbis believed her because in the majority of cases, there’s no other way. 1.) How did HKB”H expect this to work prior to the Rabbinic injunction? (this applies to other examples as well where the halachic gold standard of two witnesses is relaxed) 2.) Is it related to R’Moshe’s (self-knowledge) and “neemanut” (trust).[see Iggrot Moshe Y”D 1:54]
- Rabbi Nosson Rich–Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Eruvin 345:1
New series! Introduction to eruvin and rshuyot.
- Rabbi Shimon Schwab – Traditional Chinuch And Child Rearing In Post Modern Age
Interesting parenting advice from R’Schwab—while the generalities may be timeless, his specifics may be very much time bound. Unfortunately, the need for schools to make up for parents’ lack of middot seems current today as well.
- Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky -Ben Torah For Life- Learning After Yeshiva (Kenes For Mir Yungerleit, 5779)
Leaving Yeshiva means you won’t have long continuous learning sessions so you need to learn to piece together the times that you do have. What should your syllabus be? Remember that there will be some trial and error, but you will work it out!
- Rabbi Yehuda Balsam-How To Be A Shaliach Tzibbur part 4 – Chazaras Hashatz
Some basics of being a shatz(prayer leader) for the amidah including saying yhi ratzon, taking three steps back, waiting for the Rabbi, saying kdusha responsively and modim drabanan.
- Rabbi Moshe Sokoloff-Birchas Ha’Ianos
Which trees do you say it on? Where must they be? How many trees must you see? When do you say it? Why did this bracha become more popular recently?
- Rabbi Tanchum Cohen-Sacred Spoons? Principles and Practicals of Tevilas Keilim
It’s about infusing kdusha in our keilim before their initial use. Details provided on which keilim (based on material, use, and history) require it.
- Rabbi Shlomo Landau-The Inside Story of Rabbi Akiva’s 12000 Pairs of Students
Midot are very important, the rest is commentary
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Being Misamayach Chosson and Kallah
It’s a big mitzvah! (HT – Uncle Moishe), but you don’t have to attend every one. Be careful to not be too wild.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Sefiras Ha’omer – Remembering the Beis Hamikdash
Discussion includes: The nature of counting (requires knowledge of count [versus general “intent” (kavanah)]); women’s requirement to count (mitzvot aseih shehazman grama?) – practical and philosophical; not saying shechiyanu should remind us what we’re missing (our full connection to HKB”H).
- Eli Weber-Halacha and Philosophy Behind Sefirat HaOmer
Sfira is not an inherently sad time (unlike the three weeks). Is counting the omer duraita or drabanan? When should you count? Why is there no shechiyanu?
- Rabbi Zvi Sobolofsky-Geirus #3
What is the nature of the beit din (and the judges) required for conversion? What “right” do judges have to judge after the lapse of the original smicha (ordination) system?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-The Mitzvah to Build Eruvin
Primarily eruv pros and cons from a hashkafic point of view. Also includes a great list of sources on eruv halachic and hashkafic issues.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Entering a Church to Save Children after the Holocaust
R’Oshry explained why parents (and others) could enter churches (which otherwise would have been prohibited) in order to find children who had been handed over for safekeeping during the holocaust.
- Rabbi Chaim Brovender-Who Is a Zaken?
Zaken = Ze Shekana Chachma (Discuss and define).
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Yom Hashoah: Is The Holocaust “Part” of History or a “Shift”
We don’t undertake martyrdom for personal benefit but for HKB”H’s honor. The holocaust was sui generis as it was systematic, universal (for us), psychopathic, executed by average people and at a seam in history.
- Rabbi Chayim Soloveichik-Yom Haatzmaut: L’hodot U’lehallel: An Obligation and an Opportunity
Hallel (yes or no) on Yom Haatzmaut with or without a bracha is less important than how we influence our national relationship with HKB”H
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-04 R. Meir Kehane, Skydiving, Tanya in Non-Lubabvitch Circles, Newborn Baby Mukzeh, Kaddish, Sleeping and Neshamos, Esoteric Concepts, Bris Milah and Pesach (among Non-observant Jews), Moshe’s Children (Not at Matan Torah), Shabbos Night (Female), Shabbos
Q&A including: R’Kahane’s tragedy was not listening to the gedolim; Saying lshem yichud kudsha (why?); Defining dangerous activities (objective %? necessity?);Tanya should not be limited to Chabad; Is a baby nolad on Shabbat? (no); kaddish at funeral and siyum (it’s all about eventual redemption); why doesn’t the Torah mention tchiyat hameitem?; Eliyahu attending all britim (why?); Shabbat prayer (bo, bah explanation); history of smicha; sleeping, nshama and death; when can one lie; proselytization (we don’t); chalav hacompanies (only in case of great need); relationship with converts; davening on a plane and much more.
- Rabbi Yaakov Glasser-The Best Is Yet To Come:Strategies For Personal and Religious Growth Beyond Your YU Experience
Leaving college is a major transition: Avraham and Yaakov are paradigms (opportunity and challenge). Reality is very complicated but we have clarity of values. You should work on your emunah, turn your fate into destiny, nurture your relationships and remember that you can’t be perfect.
- Rabbi Yoni Levin-Changes in Muktzah Over the Course of History
People once ate raw eggs, now they don’t –does that change their muktzeh status? (Me – what’s your sample space?) Muktzeh status of animals and there accoutrements also discussed.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich–Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Eruvin 345:2
The status of holes and wall protrusions are complicated as is defining rshut harabim.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-4 Lessons from the Life of Rav Aharon Lichtenstein zt”l
Things to learn from R’Aron Lichtenstein: 1.) Focus on midot (humility) 2.) While life can be complex, we have/need moral clarity 3.) Respect people 4.) Be HKB”H centric, not egocentric.
- Rabbi Netanel Wiederblank-מחשבת ישראל Semester 2 – בחירת ישראל 1
Our relationship with HKB”H is on two levels—parent/child and spousal. The former can never be broken, the latter not so much. There’s both a particular and universal nature to the relationship as well.
- **Guest hosted by Rabbi Benyamin Goldschmidt**, Dovid Lichtenstein ,HaRav Hershel Shachter, HaRav Sholom Ber Sorotzkin-5/4/19 Fundraising and Giving Tzedaka in Halacha
Tzedakah overhead, Fundraiser percentages, Flying business class, Giving publically, Tzedakah endowments, Who owns a Tzedakah, and much more..
What is a reasonable overhead for a charitable organization or collector? How do we establish accountability?
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-08 Rabbi Slifkin’s ‘banned’ Books, Apicorsim, Chazal and Science, Tefillin, Removal of Avoda Zara, Bee Honey, Pills/Vitamins, Meat/Fruit Grafting, Artscroll, Writing of the Mishna Berura, 39 Melachas, Prophecy, Politics, Rambam’s Philosophy Books, Copyrig
Q&A including: Interesting take on the science/Torah conundrum and R’Slifkin’s personal role; Is there psak in hashkafa?; Gedolim use Kentucky windage in their public positions; the impact of the loss of yetzer hara for idol worship; Honey and medicine kashrut; Cause of trends towards stringency; Editing of the mishna brurah; Creating a Torah society; aruch hashulchan vs. mishna brura—why did the M”B “prevail”?
- Rabbi Yitzchak Breitowitz-Questions and Answers
Q&A including: Ever min hachai; Nature of asseret hadibrot; The Tanya and Lubavitch chassidut (A Litvish chassidut); Defining heresy; Mashiach ben Yosef; the importance of considering Aliyah; why do children suffer?; original sin; Whose minhagim to follow; Chazal’s drashot.
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff-Mixed Marriage: Religious and Secular
Should baalei tshuva cut ties with non-religious family members? (No.) How do we deal with marriage between religious and non-religious spouses? What is the halachic status of civil marriage?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Rav Shlomo Goren and Prime Minister Dovid Ben Gurion
R’Goren and Ben Gurion seemed to have shared some Torah values; examples provided. (I really appreciated the one people example.)
- Rabbi Shlomo Zuckier-4f – Rav Aharon Lichtenstein on Zionism and Aliyah
R’Lichtenstein’s Zionism was based on halachic, historical, and personal insights. The interplay between society and the individual as well as between religion and state were the subject of his analysis.
- Rabbi David Stav-R. David Stav The Jewish Future of the State of Israel 5-5-19
The Israeli one track approach to religion can turn outsiders off, we need to do more inspiring and less preaching.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-The Basis of Dinim D’rabanan and Sefiras Ha’Omer
Gzeirot and takanot have a different force and focus. There’s also a difference between zecher l’mikdash and zecher l’churban per R’YBS; then some thoughts on sfirah.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].