by Joel Rich
From R’ Aviner
Q: I want to donate books to my Shul in memory of a loved one. Am I obligated to write in the book the name of the person for whom it is donated?
A: No. Hashem knows.
Me: Interesting use of the word obligation. Perhaps another question would be are you obligated to put your name in the book? As I understand it, it may be that the synagogue has rights to switching if you don’t.
From R’ Aviner
Q: I am a teacher. Should I tell my students that before I became a Baal Teshuvah, I smoked drugs and now – Baruch Hashem – I am far from that place?
A: No, lest they say: We can smoke drugs now and then do Teshuvah.
Me: Another classic type 1/type 2 error case where when asked to make a decision -based on the good of the whole or of the individual? How many people will say this versus how many people who might have left will realize that there is hope for them?
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Vayikra and Purim: Knowing When to Cross Lines
Mussar to gap year students–don’t allow arbitrary red lines to keep you from doing what HKB”H wants of you in life
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-From The Rabbi’s Desk – Tefillin for Daughter, Hashavas Aveida, Rabeinu Tam Tefilin After Maariv
1. Can you sell tfillin to someone for a woman’s use? –it’s better to try and avoid
2. Unusual returning lost money case–generally be stringent (explain again why an umdenah based on people’s practice shouldn’t change when practice changes?)
3. Don’t put Rabbeinu Tam tfillin on past shkia case
- Rabbi Michael Taubes-Parshas Vayakhel May One Remain In a Room on Shabbos if a Jew Turned on the Lights?
General review of benefiting from shabbat violation (melechet shabbat) [meizid/shogeg, drabannan/duraita] followed by a specific case on Shabbat of a non-frum Jewish electrician accidentally turning your electricity off and on.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Lulav 651-4
Rules regarding brachot for lulav and what happens if your hand is not directly in contact. Is it better to say Hallel alone with a lulav or with a minyan without a lulav?
- Rabbi Mayer E. Twersky-Question & Answer Session
Q&A including Gedolim’s view of Israel; following a rav even when he’s in the minority; feminism in orthodoxy; quick fix chassidut; learning biyun; judging your neighbor (don’t) and how the Torah recognizes human weakness.
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff-Rabbi Y. Hutner Turns to Rav Moshe
R’Moshe and R’Menashe Klein on benefiting from various maaseh shabbat issues including heat and sound.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Lulav 651-5
Proper lulav shaking detailed–including what to do if your synagogue doesn’t face east? CLOR!
- Guest hosted by Rabbi Benyomin Goldschmidt,Rabbi Dovid Baruch,Mrs. Sivan Rahav Meir,Rabbi Dovi Scheiner-3/2/19 Kiruv Rechokim in a Politically Correct World: How to do Kiruv today in Halacha and Hashkafah
What to learn with a Baal Teshuva; Do we not scare off non-religious by teaching everything and much more…
Kiruv approaches and individual histories–shared chulent or intellect? (or which causes people to come in the door? To stay? To leave?)
- Rabbi Avishai David-Parshas Vayakhel; Reflections of Rav Shlomo Zalman ZT”L and My Father Z”L
Rabbi David’s biography including his parents; education at Yeshivat Salanter, MTA, YU, and his personal impressions of R’SZA.
- Rabbi Dovid Bashevkin-Fail Better: Rethinking Failure within Jewish Thought
We all fail from time to time, the question is how to deal with it!? R’Bashevkin draws on many sources, including his own experience, to provide some tips (me – most important – use your failure to power your next success.)
- Rabbi Uri Orlian-Using Wifi Internet Connection Without Permission
Borrowing someone else’s internet – is it prohibited as gezeilah, shoel shelo mdaat or just bad form? Technical analysis provided. Includes some thoughts on intellectual property.
- Dr. Shnayer Leiman-The Wisdom of the Chasam Sofer: A Jewish Perspective on Individualism and Self Fulfillment
The Chatam Sofer prided himself as a Talmid of R’N Adler. He saw every Jew as unique and capable of their own contribution.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-ifteen Minutes Of Toras Rav Schachter – Eretz Hatzvi Siman 19(b) – Undoing Gezeiros Drabanan
Continuation of R’Lebowitz’s analysis of R’HS’s insight as to why certain gzeirot of Chazal do not require a greater beit din to overturn them. Focus is on providing examples.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Bava Kamma #63 23a – Grama u’Maaseh HaAdam, Kedushah of the Printing Press, Dogs Jumping on Tables
Miscellaneous topics including isho mshum chitzo, coach rishon, birchat hanehenin, tashmishei kdusha and pshia.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Goral HaGra
Goral hagra predates the Gra and goral (lottery) is firmly based in traditional sources. Dont’ try it at home. (Me – logical to use as a time saver if you can’t reach a clear decision, but how unsure do you have to be to use it)
- Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner-The Bissli Wedding Ring
The 2019 version of the cracker jack ring in the back of the bus kiddushin affair, complete with psak from R’Asher Weiss.
- Rabbi Uri Orlian-Violating An Issur De’Oraisa to Save a Limb – Sakanas Eiver
How to fill in the three dimensional chart of what’s permitted on shabbat duraita/drabanan, type of choleh, type of injury. While the S”A paskins that one may not perform a Torah prohibited action on Shabbat in order to save a limb, in practice a layman almost always would since it’s almost always a safeik pikuach nefesh to them.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Lulav 651-6
More on naanuim (shaking the lulav); but realize they are not meakev (you still get the mitzvah). Rules if you don’t take all four minim at the same time.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Lulav 651-7
What to do if you are missing one of the minim. Can you ever add something (or even seem like it)?
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Masechet Berachot: (62) Can One Put on Tefillin before Amud Hashachar?
R’Moshe on putting on tfillin prior to “the zman” and what to do about brachot if you do.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-The Mysterious Death of Beruriah
A modern reading of the Bruriah medrashim — Bruriah is a challenge to R’Meir – is she anomalous?
- Rabbi Ari Bergmann-The Pairs and the Hasmoneans
Why did sectarianism set in during Bayit Sheini? Prophecy ceased, the Nasi became part of Sanhedrin and we needed to learn to argue but coexist
- Rabbi Eytan Feiner-Cycle of Life: Boruch Dayan HaEmet
Baruch Dayan Emet implies that when we look at every event through HKB”H’s ultimate lens, it all makes sense.
- Rabbi Yitzchak Etshalom-Immigration, Assimilation and Identity Politics
Mordechai and Esther were totally integrated in Persian society but were forced by events to identify with their Yiddishkeit.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Lulav 652-1
Proper time, prerequisites and place for the mitzvah of lulav.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-The Nature of Tzibbur in Kodshim (1)
For purposes of communal sacrifices is Kahal Yisrael (tzibbur) considered a large partnership or a corporate entity?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-The Nature of Tzibbur in Kodshim (
Continuation of shiur looking at sources as to the nature of tzibbur (partnership vs. corporate entity).
- Rabbi Eli Wagner-A Look at the Halacha and Lomdus of Suicide
Is suicide ever permitted, required or forbidden? Does it depend on whether suicide is technically considered murder or not?
- Rabbi Mordechai Torczyner-Mysticism and Mitzvot: Kashrut
History of the general kabbalistic tradition dating back to creation followed by “traditional” non-kabbalistic reasons for the mitzvah of kashrut and moving on to the beginning of kabbalistic explanations.
- Rav Asher Weiss-pkudei
It seems that the karban Pesach was brought even after the churban bayit, could it be brought today? Possible issues and solutions discussed.
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].