by Joel Rich
Question: I’ve been thinking about the number of times the shulchan aruch(or M”B) says that it’s worth giving deference to a minority opinion.I’m wondering if this is the result of the algorithmic approach rather than going through the entire sugya to come to a conclusion? Do we see this same propensity in prior authorities who were not writing codes in this manner?
See here for some interesting thoughts on how local culture impacted the Bavli:
Me-Yet R’ Ellman would not ( at least when I asked him) say that any of these insights should impact the halachic process today. definite food for thought
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Sukkah and Daled Minim: What and How
This shiur deals with: Sukkah construction, needs vs. preferences for when to be in the sukkah and what to look for in the four minim.
- Rabbi Daniel Z. Feldman-The Mechanics and Purposes of Mechila
Is the focus of tshuva(repentance) akin to getting a waiver, going through a process or fixing a relationship?
- Rabbi Yitz Greenman-Fundraise Like A Pro – Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim Course Class 2
Review of the basics of selling including: enthusiasm, time management, image, and goal setting.
- Rabbi Yitz Greenman-Fundraise Like A Pro – Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim Course Class 3
More selling basics including: You and your institution are worthy, it’s not personal, cold and warm calls, time management, and the importance of product results measurement.
- Rabbi Josh Blass-The complex legal, psychological and emotional state of Rosh HaShana and Yom Kippur
How to understand the dialectic of Rosh Hashana (Judgement/Joy) and its halachic implications are this shiur’s focus.
- Rabbi Yehoshua Grunstein-Book Launch;”Beyond Routine” by Yehoshua Grunstein
Book launch for sefer on the life lessons to be learned from various mitzvoth.
- Rabbi Yechezkel Hartman-Sukkah When it Rains on The First Nights – Updated
Rishonim reconcile Talmudic sources on eating in the sukkah on the first night of sukkot if it’s raining. How long do you have to wait? Is rain the same as mitztaer(bothered?)? What brachot do you make? When?
- Guest Hosted by Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz ,Rabbi Shay Tahan, Rabbi Yitzchok Eizik Silver-9/22/18 Contemporary Sukkos Shailos Everyone Needs to Know
Showering on Y”T, Sleeping in the Sukkah, How much to spend on Arba Minim, Using Plastic Ties for Schach, Sitting in Sukkah on Shmini Atzeres and many more..
Sukkot questions including: Restaurant sukkot, screened sukkot, mats for schach, sleeping in the sukkah, etrog costs and lineage, bees in the sukkah, showering and smoking on Yom Tov.
- Rabbi Keith Flaks B’simcha-Top 10 Halachot to start with when you’re starting to Flipping out
Sad (to me) suggested list of Elul kabbalot for M.O. gap year students.
- Rabbi Yaakov Yosef ZTL-סוכות ולקחתם לכם ארבעת המינים
Sukkot issues mainly focused on applications past first day. Also includes discussion of 4 minim, primarily on lineage.
- Rabbi Daniel Stein-The Mixed Message of Minchah on Yom Kippur
There are lessons to be learned from the nature) of the Yom Kippur mincha readings and their topics(Taanit Tzibbur vs. kedushat hayom. Remember the key is to take that (loving?) feeling into the rest of the year.
- Rabbi Yisroel Kaminetsky-HaK’Sav V’Hakabala on Ha’Azinu: Cleaving to Hashem
Some Haazinu lessons from the creative K’Tav V’Hakabala including how dear to HKB”H our Torah learning is and how attached we are/should be to HKB”H.
- Rabbi Zev Smith-ואמונתך בללות
Feeling Emunah is not just when times are bad, it’s about truly how one is always with HKB”H. We need to give this sense over to our children as well.
- Rabbi -Chayim Soloveichik-17th Yarhzeit of Rav Aharon Soloveichik shiur
Everything we have or do is from/with HKB”H. Nisuch hayayin and mayim represent this concept.
- Rabbi Doniel Osher Kleinman-Daled Minim – The Most Commonly Overlooked P’sulim
Good discussion of the various possible kashrut concerns involving lulavim and etrogim. (Me – go to YouTube, there are several good videos with good visuals of issues).
- Rabbi Zev Smith-Halachot of Sukkah Decorations
Sukkah decorations are muktzeh but what that means in practice is complicated! An important discussion of the details can be found in this shiur.
- Rabbi Dr. Ari Berman-ספרי חיים וספרי מתים פתוחים לפניו: Who is Forgiven on the Day of Atonement?
The message of yizkor is that our current actions can redefine the past for both ourselves and our ancestors. We live in miraculous times and need to carry our national mission forward.
- Rabbi Moshe Taragin-Beauty , 4 Minim, and Modern Palaces of Torah
R’Taragin compares the beauty of a makom Torah to an Etrog tree; focusing on the importance of continuity.
- Rabbi Azarya Berzon-The meaning of Hoshana Rabba
Hoshana Rabbah is all medrashic/Zohar based. Do we view it as a holiday for all or just “Aravah Jews” (with no mitzvot)? Is the beating (chibut) of the aravot a symbol of construction or destruction?
- Rabbi Azarya Berzon-The meaning of Hoshana Rabba Part II
Continuation of the discussion of Hoshana Raba and its messages (including why did the Torah hide the high level of its sanctity?)
- Rabbi David Genish-Hilchot Tzizit – How to Treat Articles of Mitzvah
Is there a difference between what non-essential use a tallit gadol and tallit katan can be used for (e.g., wiping glasses). Do you need to sleep in one? How should they be properly disposed of?
[Me – interesting how changing styles moved tzitzit to a mitzvah garment (from a garment requiring tzitzit).]
- Rabbi Ari Waxman-No Prayin’, No Rain
Water has a special symbolism for us. Similarly, tfila connects heaven and earth.
- Rabbi David Yosef-הלכות קידוש
Technical discussion of the laws of Kiddush on wine—is it a Torah or Rabbinic requirement? What is the nature of the requirement for women?
- Rabbi David Yosef-הלכות המטייל לפני שבת
Very practical discussion of what to do if you are traveling on Friday (try not to!) and you see you will not make it to your destination for Shabbat! He likes El AL a lot!
- Rabbi David Yosef-מי שטעה בתפילה ודיני תשלומין
When can or can’t (more usually the case) you be yotzeih (extinguish your obligation?) by hearing the reader’s repetition of the amidah (on Friday night partial repetition)? Particular focus on when the special additions of the day are involved.
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-Shiur in West Hempstead: Hilchos Yom Tov in Halacha and Agadah
Yom Tov topics discussed including food preparation, lighting fires, making extra amounts of food, bathing and second day of Yom Tov rules. Most important – look after the lonely!
- Rabbi David Yosef-הלכות קידוש חלק ב
Extended discussion of Rabbeinu Tam vs. the Geonim as to exactly when nightfall occurs—including proofs and implications of their positions. Note there can be a big difference in specific applications depending on whether you observe Rabbeinu Tam time as a stringency or as black letter law.
- Rabbi Yehuda Turetsky-Brisk, Breslov, and Who is a True Talmid
Being defined as a talmid of someone can range from:* fully copying their results * fully copying their process *connecting with them at some partial level. This shiur describes how being a talmid plays out for R’Chaim and for R’Nachman’s “talmidim.”
- Rabbi Yosef Bronstein-For the Love of the Game: A Chabad Approach to the Essence of the Soul
This shiur discusses how Chazal philosophy views our deepest soul in and how to access it today (be moser nefesh for others [radical altruism]).
- Rabbi David Yosef-אמירה לעקו״ם
Detailed analysis of tvilat keilim, hafrashat challah and lighting fire bein hashmashot. Under what circumstances may it be done by you or by others?
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].