by Joel Rich
The Rambam [codified in S”A E”H 22:7] states that, if a man’s business is such that he can’t avoid even only rabbinic yichud issues, he should yifneh l’mlacha acheret (find another line of work). We also know that many times rabbinic rules are set aside in the case of great loss [but see Pitchei Tshuva Y”D 157:4] In either event, do you think we’re talking about cases where the individual originally thought these problems could be avoided or did they go into the business with full knowledge of these issues? How do we understand if it’s the latter and if allowance is made? Does HKB”H view it as equivalent to any other choice one could’ve made or is one dinged for it? [is moving into an apartment building knowing one will need to use a manned elevator on Shabbat an example?]
Why Torah U’mada resonates with me! Listening to a series of classes on the philosophy of law concerning how legal systems deal with change through legal fictions, equity and legislation (and how older systems preferred the others to the latter.)
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Pesach 467-7
More on what to do if you find wheat kernels (before or during Pesach) in foodstuffs.
- Rabbi Gedaliah Jaffe-10 for a minyan, nice or necessary?
When you have ten people but some of them have already davened, do the folks who are davening get credit for tfilah btzibbur of tfilat hatzibur? Are the rules the same for kaddish and Barchu?
Important insight from R’SZA—if you’ll be the sixth man davening to make “a minyan” you should do it rather than wait till later to daven with ten daveners if it means the first group won’t get a minyan without you.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Bakashos on Shabbos and Yom Tov
What’s the reason that we don’t make requests in our Shabbat prayers? There are a number of possible exceptions to the rule (e.g., ruchniyut [spiritual] requests, certain propitious times, set text prayers, vidui, therapeutic needs, public needs . . .) But what’s the deal with misheberachs on Shabbat? (me – the public’s demand?)
- Mrs. Shani Taragin-Torah Education in a POMO (Post Modern) and FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) Era
Post modernism leads to the fear of missing out and the idea that there are multiple truths. The antidote is the covenantal community’s Jewish identity (Nation and land).
- Rabbi Moshe Teitelbaum-We Have a Drinking Problem: What Are We Doing About It
There’s trouble in River City and it isn’t pool! Here are some thoughts on how to raise kids in turbulent times. (#1 – be a role model), #2 – whole lotta love.[HT-Led Zeppelin})
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Sotah #1 32a-33b – Elu Ne’emarim beChol Lashon – Literal Translations, Shema, Tefillah, Sefirah, Har Gerizim veHar Eival, Pronunciations
What “readings” require Hebrew and which can be done in “other languages.” ? What qualifies as “other languages” and how/when can they actually be used?
- Rabbi David Berger-Dr. D. Berger Parshat Chukat 6-21-18
Which rod did Moshe use to hit the rock? What exactly was the nature of Moshe’s sin?
- 6/23/18 Geirim – Should we accept them or is the Syrian edict the correct model?
Vihavtem Es Hager at What Price? Hafka’as Kiddushin Controversy in Eretz Yisroel-HaRav Nochum Eisenstein,HaRav Yitzchok Dwek,Rabbi Yitzchok Fuchs
Why did the Syrian community elect not to accept converts? Aren’t we supposed to love the convert?
- Rabbi Daniel Glatstein-An Appreciation For the System of Learning in Klal Yisroel from Time Immemorial
Spend most of your time studying Shas.
- Rabbi Dani Schreiber-Discussing Judaism’s Big Questions: Very Superstitious? Ayin Hara and the Supernatural
Different approaches to understanding how ayin hara (the evil eye) works.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Pesach 467-8
Discussion of the status of the water used in hagala depending on whether the utensil was ben yomo (used within 24 hours) and whether it was before or during Pesach.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Pesach 467-9
What to do if you find a kernel of wheat in one piece of chicken amongst many on Pesach.
- Rabbi Reuven Brand-Navigating Competing Values within Our Mesorah
MO (actually O) means taking multiple Torah priorities seriously. Examples include R’SZA and R’Chaim.
- Mrs. Shoshana Schechter-Infusing Spirituality in Our Children-Students
We connect with HKB”H through Torah learning—intellectually and emotionally. We need to make it relevant to kids today.
- Rabbi Motti Neuburger-“Mechanech or Melamed” – recent changes in our educational system
The experiential tradition used to be transmitted at home, now we expect the schools to do it.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-פסיקת אדם לעצמו 1
What exactly is psak vs. just doing what you know is correct? (for you, for those around you?) Are you a bar hachi (worthy of an opinion)? When is it inappropriate to give an opinion? (e.g., your rebbi is there)
- R. Daniel Glatstein-Parashat Chukat : The Torah Was Never Tampered With! The Apikorsus Rav Moshe Feinstein Identified In The Forged Manuscript Attributed To Rav Yehuda Hachasid
R’Moshe took a very hard line on opposing any claim of textual emendations in the Torah
- Rabbi Reuven Brand-Salute to Service: A Conversation with a WWII veteran and IDF solider
A WWII veteran and an IDF veteran reminisce on the memory and meaning of military service.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Pesach 467-10
Last in the section dealing with grain/other food interaction before and after Pesach.
- Rabbi Yehuda Balsam-Three reasons not to talk during davening
Talking during davening has gotten worse. It’s bad for a number of reasons: 1.) Halachically, it’s not permitted, 3.) It invalidates your kavanah (intent), which invalidates your prayer, 3.) It hurts your ability for repentance by making your shul and yourself less effective (me – like exercising).
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Sotah #2 32b-33a, 37b-38b Kriat Shema Min HaTorah, Asmachta beAlma, Translations, Seder Chalitzah, Nessiat Kappayim
Is Kriat Shma a Torah or Rabbinic requirement? How literal a translation is required when using a language other than Hebrew for mitzvah recitations? Then, lots of detail concerning birchat cohanim and chalitzah.
- Rabbi Baruch Simon-June Zman – Tzedaka & Ma’aser Ksafim (25): Charity Priorities – Who/What Gets First?
Tzedaka matched pairs priorities including: closeness vs. need; day school vs. mikveh; day school vs. advanced yeshiva . . .
- Rabbi Moshe Sokoloff-Dinah D’Malchusah Dina Regarding Bankruptcy
The scope of Dina Dmalchuta is an old debate which informs on whether it can be applied to support the halachic applicability of bankruptcy.
- Rabbi Shalom Rosner-Halacha L’Moshe Mi’Sinai
Halacha Moshe Msinai sometimes expands categories and sometimes adds new ones.
- Rabbi Tanchum Cohen-Byline: Prague, 1776 | Rabbi Yechezkel Landau and his Nuanced Perspective on Authentic Spirituality at the Rise of the Chasidic Revolution The Nodeh B’yehudah was an intellectual and spiritual giant (rationalistic and kabbalistic).
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Pesach 468-1
Erev Pesach before and after chatzot—which activities are prohibited and which are permitted?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Graf Shel Rei
How disgusting must a graf shel rei be to qualify as such? Is defining graf shel rei based on community standards or is it based on the individual in question? Should moving the object under this circumstance be avoided if possible?
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Pesach 468-2
Makom shenahagu is a key concept in minhagim—how does it impact spouses who come together with different minhagim? What about large groups that move from place to place?
- Rabbi Yehoshua Grunstein-Conversion- A LIVE Beit Din and the UNCANNY Israeli situation
Presentation of how a particular beit din administers the geirut (conversion) process.
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Eating Before Havdalah
What is the nature of the prohibition of eating before Havdalah? What do you do if shalosh seudot lasts past tszeit? What’s the status of wine from birchat hamazon? Sheva brachot? What if you don’t have enough wine for Havdalah?
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].