by Joel Rich
Can anyone point me to information concerning the history of the difference between the physical element of Ashkenazi (atzei chaim) and Eidot Hamizrach (containers) Sifrei Torah? The differences in the timing and physics of hagba and glila ?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Are themed shalach manot a kiyum in mishloach manot, simchat purim, Purim seudah, hiddur mitzvah (klal or prati), or something else?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
- 10/21/17 Is There a Shidduch Crisis? — How much should a Shadchan be paid?
Rabbi Ari Senter, , Rabbi Shlomo Dickman, Shaya Ostrow,
We need to reinforce the Jewish approach of focusing on the sanctity of marriage and its benefits. The demographics of the shidduch “marketplace” are analyzed and the “halachot” of shidduch are discussed. The going rate for your basic shidduch is $2,000.
- Rabbi Nosson Rich-Mishna Berura Yomi: Hilchos Pesach 450-2
If a non-Jew bakes chametz in a Jew’s oven on Pesach, the Jew cannot take payment. You don’t need to be concerned about giving a Non-Jew money on Pesach even if you know he’ll buy chametz with it.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-From Shmuel to Gandalf – Lord of the Rings and Torah
The Lord of the Rings expresses many of the same themes as found in the stories of Shmuel/Shaul/David. The prophet is not just a religious figure but HKB”H’s change agent.
- 11/11/17 Mental Health in Halacha (Part 2)-Rabbi Binyomin Babad ,HaRav Osher Weiss,Mr.Schwartz,Rabbi Dr. Jonathan Schwartz, Meshulam Epstein, Yisrael “Freddy” Friedman –
OCD can be dealt with halachically. Mental health issues can be baggage when it comes to shidduchim. The host is strongly in favor of therapy and thinks smarter people are more likely to be in need of therapy.
- Yael Weil- Megillat Esther 5778
A close reading of the second chapter of Megilat Esther using traditional medrashic sources.
- Rabbi Yehuda Balsam-Men participating in a women’s zimun
Quick summary of the basics of women making a zimmun on their own and a man (if there are not three men present) participating in it.
- Rabbi Hershel Schachter-Berachos #45 20b – Mitzvas Hallel, Bentching on a Kezayis, Hearing Half a Beracha, Bris veTorah, Rachem
The status of Hallel and Birchat Hamazon are discussed including when to say them, who is obligated and what causes the obligation.
- Rabbi Ari Kahn-Women and Zimmun
This Shiur analyzes the source texts concerning women making a zimmun in the absence of three men—is it voluntary or required? Contemporary authorities are also quoted.
- 3/3/18 Beards and Shaving in Halacha – What is the inyan to have a beard? Are shavers muttar?
Rabbi Moshe Taub,Rabbi Nochum , Rabbi Boruch , Rabbi Moshe Aharon Kahane
The halachic and hashkafic issues concerning shaving (or not) are discussed. Is there an independent value in having a beard? If so, is it one of chashivut (dignity?) or wearing a uniform?
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-Grappling with Galut – Daniel, Esther, Yosef
Yosef, Daniel, and Esther are all models of how to act while in a position of power in a foreign government. The purpose of midrashim is to reconcile the models into the proper torah approach.
- 10/28/17 Peleg’s Day of Rage – Is this the way to disagree or a massive Chilul Hashem?
Rabbi Yosef Fleischman, Rabbi Jonathan Rosenblum ,Rabbi Chaim Aharon Tamback
This program preceded the death of R’Shmuel Auerbach and discusses the pros and cons of the demonstrations against the drafting of chareidim. Includes issues of zakein mamrei, damages caused by protester . . .
- Rabbi Gershon Albert-Jewish Practice in a Changing World Part 1: Emancipation Judaism
Introductory level class discussing the impact of emancipation (Reform) and the reaction of the Chatam Sofer (which really was a “new” movement as well).
- Rabbi Etan Schnall -Are we allowed to fast on Ta’anis Esther?
Why it’s OK to fast erev purim (megilat taanit issues) and why exactly do we fast on that day? (A number of reasons provided.)
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff-Can We Trust the Rabbi?
Rabbis and marriage and divorce and conversion. Cuts off in the middle of the shiur.
- Rabbi Tzvi Sinensky-Esther, #Me Too, and Finding a Voice Amidst a Nation
Megilat Esther’s lessons including: HKB”H is behind the scenes but what we do is important too (especially for leaders); Esther’s evolution in her identity; nationhood and women’s issues
- 9/16/17 Family Planning, a Halachik View — Should financial and other considerations play a factor in having children?
Rav Hershel Schachter, Rav Shmuel Feurst ,Rav Moshe Hauer , Rav Pesach Shmerling
Are finances a reason to postpone or not to have more children? Interviewers posit Yes, No, and/or maybe. Each case is unique but the meta hashkafic approaches of the speakers differ as well.
- Rabbi Shay Schachter-Words of Truth – Words of Peace: Life of the Jew in Galus
The Megilah text does not mention HKB”H (nor certain other historical elements which one would have expected to be included) but does mention Ahashverosh a lot because in the end we were still under foreign rule and needed to be circumspect. It is a lesson in balance which still applies to those of us still living in galut. (Me – and a reminder to us where home really is).
- Eli Weber -Drinking on Purim-How much is the mitzvah?
An analysis of the Talmudic texts concerning drinking on Purim and the halachic interpretations thereof. (Me – don’t drink so much even if you are in the category of “pure” individuals who would be allowed to drink—think of the impact on those around you.)
- Rabbi Assaf Bednarsh-Sukkah 43 (הדס שוטה)
Analysis of the dichuiy (once out, you’re out) by mitzvot vs. kodshim sugya with specific application to hadassim
- Rabbi David Pahmer-KIddush Hachodesh
A review of the astronomy of Kiddush Levana, particularly of the molad (is it an exact calculation or an average).
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Fifteen Minutes of Toras Rav Schachter – Eretz Hatzvi Siman 16(b) – Yichus and Artificial Insemination
This Shiur discusses R’Moshe’s position concerning the implications of conception not by way of intercourse (for purposes of lineage, pru u’rvu, mamzeirut) as well as R’HS’s take on these issues.
- Rabbi Dr. Aaron Rakeffet-Rothkoff -Rabbi Joseph Eliyahu Henkin
A biography of R’Henkin including his devotion to Ezrat Torah and his halachic positions on civil marital state (vs. R’Moshe), secular studies, and Zionism.
- Rabbi Jonathan Ziring-מנהג עדה 2
What is the halachic force of minhag eida (e.g., ashkenaz/sfard)? Classic application of minhag would be geographic unless there were a new area of settlement but that doesn’t seem to be the current practice (i.e., minhag eida has strong (but not complete) force).
- Rabbi Yom Tov Glaser- True Spirituality
Spirituality is about letting go of the self. The Torah gives us the formula for attaching ourselves to the will of HKB”H.
- Rabbi Moshe Tuvia Lieff-Rav Tzadok HaKohen on Shushan Purim: We Know Who’s Running the Roulette Wheel
The message of the lottery of Purim is that we need to realize that everything in our lives is HKB”H’s doing.
- Rabbi Yehoshua Rubenstein -The Greatest ‘Teiku’ of All – Which Does Hashem Love More: Torah or Bnei Yisroel?
HKB”H loves the Jewish people more than he loves the Torah.
- Rabbi Efrem Goldberg -The History of Yom Ha’Shoa
R’JJ Schachter has done significant research as to the history of Yom Hashoa. There were a number of possible dates and the players did not always line up as you might have expected.
- Rabbi Dovi Fischer -A Comprehensive Halachic Overview Of Sefiras Haomer
This Shiur summarizes the underlying theories of the requirement of counting sfirah (duraita)? One mitzvah?) and their applications to practical counting questions.
- Ms. Sara Gordon-When Good Kings Go Bad: The Cautionary Tale of Shlomo HaMelekh
At what point in time did Shlomo’s rule start going downhill? His marriage to Bat Paroh? His building campaigns? What were the major governmental and societal challenges he faced? How do we read his actions/decisions?
- Rabbi Aryeh Lebowitz-Ten Minute Halacha – Pushing a Wheelchair Or Carrying a Child When The Eruv is Down
Eruvless in the Five Towns—who can push a wheelchair, can you drag a screaming kid?
Please direct any informal comments to [email protected].