New issue of the Journal of Halacha and Contemporary Society, no. LXXIV (Succot 5778, Fall 2017):
- Transgenders in Jewish Law and Thought by R. Alfred Cohen – Surgery is forbidden. Dressing and making one’s body look like the opposite gender is forbidden. Changing gender is tampering with Creation. Mental anguish does not set aside biblical prohibitions. But we must treat all confused people with love.
- Techum Shabbat and the Airport by R. Mordechai Millunchick – Overview of the laws of techum. What if you land in an airport just before Shabbos or on Shabbos? It’s complicated. He goes through a few major US airports and what can be done there — walk to the city or a hotel, or stay in the terminal.
- Donating Milk and Meat Cooked Together by R. Yaakov Jaffe – Are we forbidden to feed to a gentile all forbidden foods or just chametz?
- Tevillat Keilim of Electrical Devices by R. Dovid Cohen – Explains the halakhah and the engineering reality of immersing electrical devices in water. Critiques two proposals for avoiding the requirement of immersion.
- Chodosh in Chutz La’aretz by R. Yehuda Spitz – Reviews and critiques the different reasons to be lenient on new grain before Pesach.