We are pleased to announce a partnership between Torah Musings and the Yeshivat Har Etzion’s Israel Koschitzky Virtual Beit Midrash (VBM). VBM has a long history of disseminating sophisticated Torah. Going forward, some VBM material will be appearing on this website that we are sure will be well received. We anticipate a long and fruitful partnership.
VBM’s courses for 5774 start recently. There is still time to sign up (for free, as always): link.
In addition to the continuing courses in Gemara, Halakha, Tanakh and Machshava, note the following new courses:
- Women and Mitzvot, Rav Chaim Navon
- Structure and Meaning of Daily Prayer, Rav Ezra Bick
- Before Sinai: Jewish Values and Jewish Law, Rav Judah Goldberg – This is a very ambitious and exciting undertaking.
Course description: Are there Jewish values and virtues that go beyond formal Jewish law? If so, from where can they be derived, and what are their implications for Jewish public and private life today? This series explores these questions through close readings of Tanakh, in-depth analyses of gemara and halakhot, modern discussions of ethics, and theological reflections.
In Rav Amnon Bazak’s series “Fundamental Issues in the Study of Tanakh,” he will address the following topics this year:
- Tanakh and Ancient Near Eastern culture
- Nusach haMikra (lower criticism)
- Peshat and Midrash Aggada
- Peshat and Midrash Halakha
- Sins of biblical figures
See the full list of courses here: link.