Fifth Avenue Synagogue’s fourth annual Yom Iyun – A Program of Serious Jewish Learning
Sunday Morning, September 23
Mishna – 7:30 a.m.; Selichot – 8:00 a.m.; Shacharit – 8:30 a.m.; Breakfast – 9:15 a.m.
Breakout sessions, each 45 minutes long, will begin at 10:00 a.m. and conclude with Mincha at 1:15 p.m. Sessions will be led by distinguished
rabbis and scholars Go to www.5as.org for details. Register with the Synagogue office (e-mail.
Mishna Class – 7:30 a.m. followed by Shacharit
Rabbi Sol Trau, Honorary Chairman, Fifth Avenue Synagogue, The First Mishna of Shabbat
- Session A – 10:00-11:00 a.m.
- Rabbi Dr. Seth Grauer, Associate Rabbi, Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Choosing Effective and Sustainable New Year’s Resolutions: Halachic Guidance and
Advice to Ensure a New Year of Greater Religious Commitment and Meaningful Growth
- Mindy Lankry, Educator and lecturer, The Privilege of Forgiveness
- Rabbi Dr. Michael Rosensweig, Rosh Yeshiva, Yeshiva University, and Resident Scholar, Fifth Avenue Synagogue, The Challenge of Teshuva
- Rabbi Dr. Sol Roth, Rabbi Emeritus, Fifth Avenue Synagogue, The Path to Personal Progress
- Rabbi Mendel Weitman, Rabbi, Sephardic Synagogue of Fifth Avenue and Founder, Jewish Latin Center, Teshuva: The Power of Return or the Return
- Session B – 11:00 a.m.-12:00 noon
- Dr. Barry L. Eichler, Dean of Yeshiva College, Professor of Bible and Cuneiform Studies at Yeshiva University’s Bernard Revel Graduate School
of Jewish Studies and Yeshiva College, Reflections on Teshuva in the Book of Jonah
- Rabbi Tzvi Flaum, World-Class Scholar in the field of Jewish Medical Ethics, The Repentance of the Jewish People: Its Divine Purpose and its
- Rabbi Yaakov Kermaier, Rabbi, Fifth Avenue Synagogue, The Halachic Legacy of the Sept. 11 Attack and its Relevance to Yom Kippur
- Cantor Joseph Malovany, Cantor, Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Is There a Jewish Musical Motif to Call for and Enhance Teshuva? A Talk with
- Lauren Roth, Psychotherapist, specializing in marriage and parenting, Successfully Parenting Children of Any Age
- Session C – 12:00 noon-1:00 p.m.
- Rabbi Elie Abadie, M.D., Rabbi, Edmond J. Safra Synagogue, Alan Harris, M.D., Adjunct Professor, NYU School of Medicine, Walter Molofsky, M.D.,
President Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Chief of Pediatric Neurology at Beth Israel Medical Center, Is There an Obligation to Preserve One’s Health? Halachic, Medical and Scientific Considerations
- Rabbi Dr. Jonathan Feldman, Manhattan Jewish Experience, Seven Habits of Successful Dating
- Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis, Founder and President of Hineni, Take Charge of Your Life
- Rabbi Nesanel Kasnett, Senior Editor of the Artscroll Schottenstein edition of the Talmud, Scientific Evidence of a G-dly Creation
- Professor William Schwartz, University Professor of Law, Yeshiva University, Chairman, Fifth Avenue Synagogue, Teshuva in American Culture and American Law